McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK,now how do I get to the flywheel?It looked to me like it's a clam shell saw where I have to split the saw in half.I was going to do that,I had all the screws out,but it wouldn't come apart.I didn't want to force anything & break something.Not only that,the rear handle kinda scared me,I didn't want the trigger mechanism to come apart & have springs go flying every which way.I'm going to try putting some Seafoam in the tank & possibly pull the oil line out to clean the pickup filter,that might be plugged.
I tried the IPL's & none of them (Eager Beaver 2010,2014,2016) has an IPL diagram,only parts lists.
Ed

I tried the IPL's & none of them (Eager Beaver 2010,2014,2016) has an IPL diagram,only parts lists.

You didn't look far enough. The illustrations are there. Just not arranged in the typical Mac IPL format. The Eager Beaver 2014 IPL is where I got the diagram I posted. They all just start out with a page that says No Diagram Available / Parts List Only. The illustrations follow.

As for getting to the flywheel, the handle housing needs to come apart. The flywheel half looks like it just slides away from the clutch half with all the trigger stuff staying in the PTO half of the handle. Here's the IPL..., renamed for simplicity. If you'll go past page 2 there are lots of pictures.

Attachments

• Eager Beaver 2014 IPL.pdf
    347.2 KB · Views: 4
Thanks Pogo,I don't understand why they say"No Diagram Available".Very misleading.Anyway,upon further examination of the IPL,I see there's a duckbill in there to screw up the whole works.It could be as simple as replacing that.I really won't know till I get the saw tore apart.Now do I have to use a McCulloch duckbill,or will a Homelite duckbill work,or you don't know?I might have to give Bob Johnson a call if I need a Mac duckbill.I just remembered that I have some Poulan duckbills as well.The saw is about 25+ yrs.old,so chances are that duckbill has turned to goo.I must've missed a screw when I tried to take it apart earlier.
Ed

Jethro, ive personally found that thw mcculloch dsp valves dont seal up well when they close. Lots of oil around it and.the muffler. On my sp81 i remdied this with a compression valve from am echo 590. Yes i did have some work but it was very simple and they seal up great when they close. What i did was, take out the little cleanout allen screw. Thread a q-tip into that all the way to catch shavings. Then got a 10x 1.25mm bottom tap (had one). Go a bit at a time and blow out the shavings. After i got deep enough just threaded the echo valve in. Slow and dont overtighten. It works great. No oil leaking. The echo valve is the same on the 590, 600p, and 620p. That saw is modeled after a shindaiwa saw. I got it off ebay used for $10.00!! Free shipping. Score.

On RandyMac's 850, Brian used valve lapping compound to seat the DSP mating surfaces. When he was done, you could crank the saw over, wait and then open the valve and a psst sound could be heard as the pressure was released. Real nice and ideal, but I have found my PM800 will still cut well with the DSP laying in the saw dust. Ron

Does anyone know anything about the PM440vc?I know it was made in the Italian factory,but that's it.I'm assuming it's about 44 cc.Is it a good saw,or a piece of junk?
Ed

Jethro, ive personally found that thw mcculloch dsp valves dont seal up well when they close. Lots of oil around it and.the muffler. On my sp81 i remdied this with a compression valve from am echo 590. Yes i did have some work but it was very simple and they seal up great when they close. What i did was, take out the little cleanout allen screw. Thread a q-tip into that all the way to catch shavings. Then got a 10x 1.25mm bottom tap (had one). Go a bit at a time and blow out the shavings. After i got deep enough just threaded the echo valve in. Slow and dont overtighten. It works great. No oil leaking. The echo valve is the same on the 590, 600p, and 620p. That saw is modeled after a shindaiwa saw. I got it off ebay used for $10.00!! Free shipping. Score.

That's cool Vinny I was wondering if there was a metric valve that could be used instead. I have to ask what would you be doing with a M10 tap on hand?

On RandyMac's 850, Brian used valve lapping compound to seat the DSP mating surfaces. When he was done, you could crank the saw over, wait and then open the valve and a psst sound could be heard as the pressure was released. Real nice and ideal, but I have found my PM800 will still cut well with the DSP laying in the saw dust. Ron

Kinda like the idea of the metric valve Ron alot cheaper. That's a funny tale about the dsp lying in the saw dust lucky you managed to find it again. That also brings me to another conclusion the dsp is the muffler mount and it hasn't come loose yet and really don't want it to. I bet that 850 went well does Randy cut much with it? Wish he would jump on here more often with some interesting yarns

Jethro, there are many things here that are metric. Side by sides, 4wheelers, mini bikes, vehixles, chainsaws, pretty much everything and anything could be metric. Heck even my mcculloch sp81 has a metric dsp in it...:laugh:

Jethro, there are many things here that are metric. Side by sides, 4wheelers, mini bikes, vehixles, chainsaws, pretty much everything and anything could be metric. Heck even my mcculloch sp81 has a metric dsp in it...:laugh:

That's good so really the US is more or less "metricified" lol . Construction and building are they measuring in mm yet?

Jethro,the U.S.is slowly changing over to the metric system without people even knowing it.The building & construction industry is VERY slow to change over,but here's an example:back in the day sheets of plywood or it's equivalent were measured in sizes of 3/4 in.,1/2 in.etc.,now they'e being measured 25/32 in.,etc.,not so much for a thicker piece of wood,but easier to convert to mm.(IMHO).I'll probably have a ton of people jump on this one telling me how wrong I am,I don't care.
Ed

Ah right our sheets are 1200 by 2400mm 6. 9. 10. 12. 16mm and on. 1200 by 2400 is standard steel or a sheet of anything really.

Grab a tape and measure something random or mark a random length.. oi jono sling me a bit of 50 x 5 at 463 long.

to me it's so simple even for absolute morons if you can count and have a careful eye you can mark a accurate length in 3 seconds. It's funny though we still use a heap of imperial stuff psi or a 2x4 for instance except it's not a 2x4 it's a 4x2 lol

That's funny Jethro.When IO was a young lad of about 23 I worked for a summer for a construction company building barns.We'd be putting up trusses &I yelled down for another 4x2.Lol They all looked at me quite strangely & asked me where I went to school.Of course I had to be a smart ass & tell them that I was self taught.Or another of my favorites wasd when they wanted a 4x4 put up,I'd ask them which 4 side they wanted me to face which way.Lol I also liked to make them look when I told them they were wearing their socks on the wrong foot.I just liked to have fun.
Ed

That's funny Jethro.When IO was a young lad of about 23 I worked for a summer for a construction company building barns.We'd be putting up trusses &I yelled down for another 4x2.Lol They all looked at me quite strangely & asked me where I went to school.Of course I had to be a smart ass & tell them that I was self taught.Or another of my favorites wasd when they wanted a 4x4 put up,I'd ask them which 4 side they wanted me to face which way.Lol I also liked to make them look when I told them they were wearing their socks on the wrong foot.I just liked to have fun.
Ed

Two by four kinda rolls off the tongue strange lol. Four by two . . Two by four I duno perhaps were all strange and its really a 101.6 by 50.8

And yea self taught is asking for stick Haha good on ya though giving stick makes the day go fast

Thanks Pogo,I don't understand why they say"No Diagram Available".Very misleading.Anyway,upon further examination of the IPL,I see there's a duckbill in there to screw up the whole works.It could be as simple as replacing that.I really won't know till I get the saw tore apart.Now do I have to use a McCulloch duckbill,or will a Homelite duckbill work,or you don't know?I might have to give Bob Johnson a call if I need a Mac duckbill.I just remembered that I have some Poulan duckbills as well.The saw is about 25+ yrs.old,so chances are that duckbill has turned to goo.I must've missed a screw when I tried to take it apart earlier.
Ed

Usually when I've seen IPLs where the 'No Diagram Available' is near the top it is because that first section of 'parts' is stuff like carrying cases, bar guards, files, tools, etc. that aren't really saw parts. So the lack of diagram relates to the first section of stuff. Following that are other sections of actual saw parts that do have diagrams.

Rob

That explains it then.Today I put the new used oil pump on the original Eager Beaver & wouldn't you know that I tried the manual oiler before I had it all buttoned up & it wouldn't draw oil.I was upset at first,but then figured the check valve wasn't working.I pulled off the supply inlet very carefully & sure enough the check valve was out of place.I put it back in the right way & tried te manual oiler again,lo & behold I had oil coming out at the pad! Since it was dark out I couldn't test the saw to see if the automatic oiler was going to work,gotta wait till daylight.
I got the Eager Beaver 2014 running over the weekend,but no matter what I do to the carb for adjusting,the chain nkeeps going way too fast,I put new fuel lines on & a new primer bulb.I thought the oiler wasn't working,but my step-daughter pointed out the puddles of oil all over the blacktop,so it must have a possible blocked oil pad,or a broken oil line to the pad.
I also got another Eager Beaver from the '70's delivered on Mon.It needs a new plug wire boot to start.It has lots of compression too,I don't think the saw was used very much at all.
Ed

Just to be clear, the DSP valve on the PM800 saws that had them were coarse thread (3/8-16), most of the other McCulloch saws use a fine thread (3/8-24).

On the EB2014 the most likely problem is the oil line between the oil pump and the oil tank is broken. Second most likely is the pump gears are stripped, in that case you will have to search e-Bay for a replacement pump as I don't think there are many NOS oil pumps left for those saws.

Mark

Thanks Mark.I believe the pump is working just fine as there's a trail of oil on my driveway when the saw runs.I think the oil line is broken.I'll have to tear the saw apart to confirm it.
Ed

Back