McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can understand that for sure. It's great to see those saws doing what they were made for rather than shelf sitting or cutting cookies. I think the 82cc mac is really an awesome all round saw big enough to cut most things and light enough to carry around and limb a bit with great AV too. After using my mates 390 I really see the 82cc is plenty saw for a firewood man and still old school cool

The PM800 is a great all around saw and love running it. Ron and I lately have been bucking some really big stuff and I have found myself really liking the SP125C. It is a joy to run, just getting it to the log to be bucked will wear you out. I also really like how well both the PM800 and the SP125C start. They just start so well and run so well. I can let them set for a month and they will start right up and have the power to get the job done.

On the 2T oil I feel that any reasonably good synthetic 2T oil will serve you well. I, believe it or not run Walmart synthetic oil. I do mix a little rich but it seams to perform well and is ready available. I know a guy that used to report on the web. He is a chemical engineer and he tested 4T oils and I was very surprised that the Walmart oil ranked quite high on his tests, so I figure the 2T oil should be good. It's not like Walmart makes this oil. It's like I have had people tell me that they would not ever use Honda motorcycle oil but use Mobile One oil. Well I hate to tell them but Mobile One makes, or used to make Honda's oils. It's like gasket sealers. Honda Bond, Yama Bond, Suzuki and Kawasaki gasket sealer is made by Three Bond. Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki or Kawasaki don't make it.

I feel that any saw manufacture and most oil manufacturers are going to make good oil. They have to warranty these things so it is in there best interest to provide the end user with good oils that are not going to damage your saw.

Sorry Ron that I was not out there to help you today. I am hopeful that the doctors have isolated my issues and have addressed them and I will be back next week strong and ready to work. By the way good job today.

Brian

I refuse to buy any oil that's not JASO certified,& the WalMart brand is one of those oils.I've had a couple of different carbs ruined by that crap.You can do what you want with your equipment,but I for one will not use the WalMart brand anymore.Stop & think how many pennies you're saving by buyng the chep 2t oil,& then stop & think of how many DOLLARS you're going to spend on repairs (if even possible) on your carbs.
Ed

Needing some advice on this 125.

1: would you run this piston? No major scratches on the cylinder or piston.
2: ring gap is pretty big...time for new rings? Compression was 140 psi.
3: how do I get the bearing races off the crank now? Heat and punch didn't do a thing. I was thinking of grinding a spot in the race to get a better purchase.
4: any lead on crank seals and bearings? Terry Ives or Bob on the east coast came to mind but haven't contacted them yet. IMG_20190202_151801.jpg IMG_20190202_151806.jpg IMG_20190202_151618.jpg IMG_20190202_163027.jpg

I'd certainly run the piston,nothing wrong with it that I can see.Yeah,new rings are probably in order if you have a big end gap on them.As for the seals & bearings - I have no idea on that as I've never tore one down yet.If Terry Ives is out on the west coast by you,then by all means go with him,it'll cut down on your shipping time.If Terry doesn't have what you need,then by all means go with Bob.
Ed

I can't believe the prices that people are paying for these saws.Does anyone know how much saws like that (890,SP125,797,etc) sold for when they were new?Someone told me that an SP125C sold for around $1100 back in 1977.I find that hard to believe.
Ed

I finally got my parts from Bob yesterday.So today I worked on putting the 7-10 back together - new fuel line with fuel filter,carb back on,new bar plate & new chain adjuster.I went to try to get it to fire up & found it had no spark.It popped when I first got it a couple of weeks ago,it must've got scared of work.Lol I then went to putting the Eager Beaver 2.0 back together.It needed a new fuel/oil tank & a new spark plug boot & spring.I got it all together except for the bar & chain.No more paper clip for plug boot.Lol I'll get a pic or two of the little fella once I get it completed.Bob forgot to send the felts for the points box for the 380.I got a carb kit in the mail yesterday,so I can rebuild the carb on the 310.I should be able to put two saws together to be able to make one good runner.
Ed

Latest posts

Back