McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is that your property Jethro? How much land do you have?

If I do an electronic ignition conversion on the 7-10A do I need to change the stock saw timing?

For some reason I had to change the timing on my 2nd stihl 031av as I kept the points flywheel whereas you don't need to adjust the timing for other saws and I have no idea why.

Not my land lol local dairy farmer is clearing a wind break for a centre pivot irrigator.

This is the 5th big macro that I've cut out of this stand and around 20 total down to about 16 inches
20190428_080019.jpg 20190428_075944.jpg
Here some pictures from a few weeks back
20190414_093452.jpg 20190428_104103.jpg
That's a 7-10 exactly like yours Jerry.

Muffler cover mark 2 seems to be holding up so far. The word muffler is a bit of a laugh though as there is no attempt at noise reduction at all in fact the louder the better for this saw and all my macs
20190404_150450.jpg

After running the 32 bar I have come to the conclusion that semi chisel is no good for long bars. I went back to the 24 after pissing about for an hour or more adjusting rakers and cutter angles it just would not bite in and feed properly.

Has anyone made up a diy skip tooth chain from full comp? I'm thinking of knocking off every 3rd cutter so it would be an alternating set of left and right cutter's

I don't see why it wouldn't work.Find a pic of a skip chain & see if you can cop[y it.Or you could just buy a skip tooth chain.Lol I know they're expensive there in NZ,but I'm sure I could get one for you here at a reasonable price.
Ed

I'm thinking of knocking off every 3rd cutter so it would be an alternating set of left and right cutter's

Doing that would have each succeeding cutter after the skip cutting in the same direction as the one before it, not alternating. You would indeed have alternating pairs after each skip in a semi-skip configuration as you described. Not sure how steady it would cut or if it would tend to wobble a bit. Not sure I'd want to experiment on a 32" chain, either. Be a shame to ruin it if the results aren't as expected.

You really want full skip / full chisel on that 32. But the semi chisel certainly comes in handy for holding a reasonable edge in dirty conditions. That's what it's for.

Nice work on those big macros, btw. Sure a lot of limbing involved with those rascals!

I don't see why it wouldn't work.Find a pic of a skip chain & see if you can cop[y it.Or you could just buy a skip tooth chain.Lol I know they're expensive there in NZ,but I'm sure I could get one for you here at a reasonable price.
Ed

I'll ring up some shops today and send what they've got.

Doing that would have each succeeding cutter after the skip cutting in the same direction as the one before it, not alternating. You would indeed have alternating pairs after each skip in a semi-skip configuration as you described. Not sure how steady it would cut or if it would tend to wobble a bit. Not sure I'd want to experiment on a 32" chain, either. Be a shame to ruin it if the results aren't as expected.

You really want full skip / full chisel on that 32. But the semi chisel certainly comes in handy for holding a reasonable edge in dirty conditions. That's what it's for.

Nice work on those big macros, btw. Sure a lot of limbing involved with those rascals!

I think yeah it mite cut ok but its still not going to be full skip full chisel and I can throw the semi on smaller bars instead but if I experiment with it then I have to buy more chain anyway.

I don't mind semi on a 20 or 24 and I do get quite a bit of dirty firewood logs to cut at times.

Very limby trees and messy too they grow limbs in every which way they please I have been using my nice little axe a bit or a 7-10. I have a husky 350 that would be ideal but it's got ignition issues.

Went to start the 10-10 for the grandfather yesterday and it fired a bit and stopped in a hase of smoke long story short its hydrolocked with bar oil I got it running again and smoke cleared and dosen't seem to do it now but yeah I spose the pump seal is leaking.

Ed

No 050 skip in New Zealand at all :( was hoping to get some for the weekend. Basically husky runs 058 here and stihl is all 063 and has been that way since the 70s.

So the chain on my 24 is nearly gone and I can shorten up the 32 and keep it running or have a go at the semi skip idea but if it don't work I'll need two new chains Haha the Joy's of old saws

I have several semi-chisel chains in .404 for the longer bars on the SP125 and other large frame saws. I actually prefer to use the semi-chisel on the longer bars since I am using them for large wood that is often dirty, particularly where stuff has collected in the crotch over the years. Sometimes when working on the large stuff I lose track of the nose and put it in the dirt while cutting, even bump a concrete sidewalk from time to time. The semi holds up much better under those conditions.

Mark

No 050 skip in New Zealand at all :( was hoping to get some for the weekend. Basically husky runs 058 here and stihl is all 063 and has been that way since the 70s.

So the chain on my 24 is nearly gone and I can shorten up the 32 and keep it running or have a go at the semi skip idea but if it don't work I'll need two new chains Haha the Joy's of old saws
How many drivers you got on that 32 Jethro? I looked on Ebay & found 2 chains that were .050,but they were for Stihl or Husky.I don't know if they'll fit on a Mac.The one chain was cheap - $22.
Ed

For the guys who have a lot of McCulloch saws....the muffler on my 7-10A is broken / non existant but I have the manifold piece that mounts to the exhaust port on the cylinder.

My questions are:
1. Assuming if I ran it open like that then there wouldn't be enough back pressure?

2. Is a later model cheap China made McCulloch muffler you can think of that is a similar shape / design that I could chop up and weld onto my 7-10A manifold? I can get the OEM ones for the 7-10A but after shipping and currency conversion it's getting to expensive for my liking.

Sorry also does a 7-10A share a lot of the same parts with a pro mac 700? They look similar. They are around locally so I could pick one up to use for parts...

Back