McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 741628 View attachment 741629 View attachment 741630

Why won't this chain cut very well what I'm I doing wrong or could be better it just doesn't feed happily like the 24 which is also semi or is just how a bigger bar cuts? It seems I need to pull way to much. It throws big chips and cuts straight the rakers are spot on the soft side on a husky gauge
I had a loop of that carlton semi chisel on a husky 266. Same deal, could not get it to self feed, if I dogged in it would cut great and throw huge chips. I gave up on it and wrote off semi chisel all together. I am far happier with full chisel for what I do.

I had a loop of that carlton semi chisel on a husky 266. Same deal, could not get it to self feed, if I dogged in it would cut great and throw huge chips. I gave up on it and wrote off semi chisel all together. I am far happier with full chisel for what I do.

That's the news I wanted to hear lol glad someone else has had the same experience with this chain all angles seem good or good enough I've got windsor um sabre aww a few different era Oregon semi chisel chains oh and a couple stihl chains too and they all seem to cut really well in comparison. I have some carlton chisel and seems to cut nicely. Yes I hog out the gullet more than needed perhaps maint sup but can't see that as a bad thing and I'm not sure I agree with tossing my much loved husky depth gauge it's a wicked simple little tool.

Thanks guys for the thoughts. Another question is Oregon the same? The Oregon stuff I have is very old like could be 80s even and the only new Oregon I have was a accidental safety chain purchased online and it was nasty in gum until I cut the bumpers off.

I have a new loop of nice stihl chisel to try next weekend

That's the news I wanted to hear lol glad someone else has had the same experience with this chain all angles seem good or good enough I've got windsor um sabre aww a few different era Oregon semi chisel chains oh and a couple stihl chains too and they all seem to cut really well in comparison. I have some carlton chisel and seems to cut nicely. Yes I hog out the gullet more than needed perhaps maint sup but can't see that as a bad thing and I'm not sure I agree with tossing my much loved husky depth gauge it's a wicked simple little tool.

Thanks guys for the thoughts. Another question is Oregon the same? The Oregon stuff I have is very old like could be 80s even and the only new Oregon I have was a accidental safety chain purchased online and it was nasty in gum until I cut the bumpers off.

I have a new loop of nice stihl chisel to try next weekend
I use the same husky raker guage. I wouldnt get rid of it for anything, works great and keeps my chains cutting straight.

Your putting your file to deep in the gullet , file buy hand and drive it up almost lifting the tooth out of the bar while rotating the file away from the tooth
Sounds complicated but I hand filed hundreds of saws last year (at work) and that technique has always worked out well, oh and throw your raker depth gauge in the scrap pile I'm pretty sure they are useless (my opinion)
I use the same method of filing, for the past 40+ years. I do hit my rakers every 3rd filing or so. I think it makes a big difference over letting them get too long. But, I don't use a gauge, just eyeball.

Since the Carlton File-o-Plate was discontinued years ago the Husky progressive depth gauge tool is the only way I go these days for staying on top of my rakers. Just like freehand filing, every now and again it helps to put a grind on a chain to get things lined back up for better freehand results down the road. Same with rakers. Can only 'eyeball' em so far before you hafta (or should) touch em up relative to their respective teeth, not to each other. Only way this is possible (or practical) is with a progressive type depth gauge tool. The fixed depth tools simply don't work that way.

So I purchased a 1-41 ,playing shelf queen at a saw shop a couple of months ago and was told it ran great well after filing the points and resetting the gap no spark?
Well the coil looked pretty crackly so I went to another shop to buy a 10-10 off a repair tech and he had a box of old nos parts tucked away.
20190617_150324.jpg 20190617_150333.jpg

Sure. I've done quite a few for folks. Would love to get my hands on one of the old Mac binders and more of the older Stihl stuff, too..., especially the tech bulletins. So much of that old hard copy will be lost forever if not found and preserved..., just like the machines they represent.

Sure. I've done quite a few for folks. Would love to get my hands on one of the old Mac binders and more of the older Stihl stuff, too..., especially the tech bulletins. So much of that old hard copy will be lost forever if not found and preserved..., just like the machines they represent.

True , any hard copy I own is merely by chance for me.

There's an old gentleman near me who has had that same binder along with a Clinton binder and a Briggs and Stratton binder for sale on CL for over a year as a set. Finally called him today out of curiosity to see if he would consider selling them individually and he said yes..., for the right price, of course.
$100 each. Still too rich for my blood, but it sure would be cool to have just simply for the digitization/preservation aspect if nothing else. Told him if he still had it next year I'd call back to see if maybe he'd take $90 and he just chuckled.

Well had a nice Mac day today ...

Hey Ron what's been happening with blind squirrel these days haven't heard much from you and Brian for a while you guys ok? Or don't ya cut in summer much.

Cut grass in the summer and gear up for the next season - late September through April. Brian has been going through my saws as time permits between too many motorcycles. He also made a 1000 mile trip to pick up my project firewood tractor. I will be working on it for a while.

Ron

I have been going thru the Wood Ministry saws getting them ready for season. A few of Ron's saws that needed attention and a bunch of mine. I had 6 saws down. Got that down to 4, but they are 4 of the ones I commonly use. Have firewood of my own to cut and split. Farm tractor to rebuild hydraulic system. Grass to mow, fields to bush hog. Weed killer to spray. Trees to trim. Wood shed to build, my tow truck needs a head gasket. And a bunch of other projects around the house.

Plus a shop full of customers motorcycles and 4 wheelers to repair. Several of my own bikes that need attention. I have my vintage 1977 Goldwing that needs a head gasket. My Sherco Trials bike needs crank seals. My Arctic Cat needs the carb cleaned. My KDX 200 needs carb cleaned. My 1968 CT-90 needs the carb cleaned. My son's LT-80 needs serviced and a few other that needs attention.

Plus usually the Wood Ministry foreman I am sure is going to need help as they work a skeleton crew thru the summer and sometimes they need help, or a big saw or a saw down.

I was by the wood lot yesterday and they had a lot of wood cut and split trying to get a leg up on the season. I am sure that Ron and myself will be called to help 3 or 4 times thru the summer.

I know Ron has quite a number of projects to complete, plus a wife and you know a wife can always find projects for you to do.

So both of us have a summer full of projects to complete of our own.

Brian

Back