McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jeeze you boys are busy men no wonder we haven't heard to much from you both.

Nice bikes those kdx 200s very nice balance of all out motorcrosser and trail bike.

Good to hear of a ct90 still getting putted around on those things will go down in history as 1 of the greatest bikes ever if ya needed a donkey with an engine a ct has you covered

I get to fix them, I just don't get to ride them much. I haven't rode the old Bultaco you see in my avatar in 2 years. Got the KDX out once last year.The CT has not ran in 2 years. My 2005 Goldwing only got ridden 3 or 4 times last year. Just no time any more.

Brian

I get to fix them, I just don't get to ride them much. I haven't rode the old Bultaco you see in my avatar in 2 years. Got the KDX out once last year.The CT has not ran in 2 years. My 2005 Goldwing only got ridden 3 or 4 times last year. Just no time any more.

Brian

That's a sad thing to hear Brian hopefully you can get out on them more this year.

That bultaco would be an old weapon. I remember those from my childhood my old man was a big motocross junkie and every year we had a vintage race meeting. The rules were no disks no single shocks and no water pumps it still happens now although the rules have had to be updated a bit. Maico's montesa's bulltaco's old Huskies the od CZ some older scramble bikes BSA's I even remember a couple left hand start Honda's and never realized the significance of those Honda's until now they were proper RC bikes and those guys must have came from somewhere far as there huge money and not likely to be locally owned. My old man used to ride Suzuki PE400s and other contraptions he built he also used to ride bikes for the old guys that couldn't anymore. His last "classic" before he died was a DR400 frame with a savage 650 road bike engine and a honda front end from something Haha was an animal that thing.

Thanks for the memories Brian haven't thought of this stuff for years.

In the 90s my old man had a young family and was on a lesser race budget he stopped speedway sold the jawa and no longer had a new rm250 every year and rode those PEs at modern mx meetings for years and used to do very well against the "bunnys" he called them. (Guys with all the gear but no good haha) he managed to get back on a nice bike again before he died a CR500 and man could he ride that thing. I remember him cracking a wheel stand way way down this hill and through a valley and back up the next hill with me and my two young sisters on it imagine what health and safety would say about that now hahaha

Speaking of KDX's I have this 91 200 sitting in my shed...cost me $800 a while back and apart from a lack of parts support (recurring theme with everything I get into) it's the best bang for the buck bike I can think of for a woods bike.

150.JPG

Had a KDX 250, RMX 250 before that, and a heap of GSXR / CBR's

Good to hear of a ct90 still getting putted around on those things will go down in history as 1 of the greatest bikes ever if ya needed a donkey with an engine a ct has you covered

My mate has a CT110 that he put a pitbike 140 engine in, put on knobby tyres and used to take it out into the forest when he didn't want to ride the KTM....low centre of gravity meant it went okay but suspension obviously was terrible....I reckon we spent 2 hours one day just wheelieing the thing like we were little kids up and down - good harmless fun.

HaHa. Here is what my brother has been racing the last two years. Signed by John Penton himself. He has about 40 vintage bikes including a CR 250 left hand start. He place 2nd at Mid Ohio and first on the Bultaco in my avatar at Barber. I have had to retire. I ran one of his KTM 300's at the Colorado 500. I had a heart attack 3 years ago and several other injuries. I just don't have it in me any longer. Now I cut wood with vintage chainsaws. McCullochs.

Speaking of saws,,, I got a really nice PM 805 from Ron today. What a nice saw, from a wonderful person. Looking forward to sinking it into some wood.

Brian

Attachments

• Tank.jpg
    Tank.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 12
I keep pulling (breaking)the starter cord right out of my pm700 ,3rd one. Any one have suggestions of a stout cord ?
I used paracord in my pro 60 and it's holding pretty good, just flopping handle.
Go to your local small engine shop and get some proper starter cord. You probably need like 4mm size for the saw. Paracord isn't as strong or as durable as the real stuff.

Also tying a figure-8 knot as opposed to a simple knot stops the rope pulling through. I also burn my knots a little so that they won't come undone.

Go to your local small engine shop and get some proper starter cord. You probably need like 4mm size for the saw. Paracord isn't as strong or as durable as the real stuff.

Also tying a figure-8 knot as opposed to a simple knot stops the rope pulling through. I also burn my knots a little so that they won't come undone.

ML is right. Paracord is made for shock load, it will stretch and jam itself in between other wraps in the starter pulley and get all jammed up. It is loosely woven while starter rope is very tightly woven so it does not stretch or very little stretch. It also holds a knot better. Like ML said use a figure 8 knot and melt it a little and it will last a good long time.

Brian

Sure. I've done quite a few for folks. Would love to get my hands on one of the old Mac binders and more of the older Stihl stuff, too..., especially the tech bulletins. So much of that old hard copy will be lost forever if not found and preserved..., just like the machines they represent.

1 of the local saw/mower shops has a huge maybe 4 or 5 inch thick McCulloch bible I took in a 7-10 to show them as they didn't believe I had so many and still run them as main saws. They really had forgotten most of the knowledge about them kinda sad and the younger guys had never seen them at all only mccinder blocks. Any way 1 guy went to an old set of draws and pulled it out from the very bottom and started going through it its a huge book with a black vinyl cover should I be trying to get this? Its probably reasonably safe there for a while yet but would hate them to biff it when having a dung out. They gave me a bunch of off cuts of new chain and a bag of joiners lol and said go for ya life sonny Haha I have a chain with like 5 joints now

IfI were you Jethro,I'd go back to thast shop[ & tell them that if they decide they no longer want or need that McBible to give you a call.Tell them to save it for you.They might just give it to you.
Ed

I keep pulling (breaking)the starter cord right out of my pm700 ,3rd one. Any one have suggestions of a stout cord ?
I used paracord in my pro 60 and it's holding pretty good, just flopping handle.

Make sure it's long enough. I seem to recall a length of 42 inches being specified somewhere. And I just measured 3.5mm diameter cord on one of mine. Going much larger may be a tight squeeze getting it through the channel in the pulley.

I'll give that a go, I've seen spools of it on Amazon (actual starter cord) with my yellow fever getting hot maybe I should buy in bulk.

IfI were you Jethro,I'd go back to thast shop[ & tell them that if they decide they no longer want or need that McBible to give you a call.Tell them to save it for you.They might just give it to you.
Ed

I mite go and see them again some time I don't buy too much from them usually as they charge a bit much. 95$ for a 105 link carlton chain vs another shop 70$ but no 050 so stihl it is then 105$ and shes a real cutie at the counter too gave it to me for 89 and a couple spare joiners. Yes chain is expensive here.

Absolutely.

They only use it occasionally when someone brings in a 610/650 once or twice a year maybe that's it

Latest posts

Back