McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well yesterday a mate found a old Mac for me and he did well I've tought him which ones to get so any way he rings me up excited as and he found me a 10 series nice and complete so I start asking the important questions and grrr it's a dam 2-10 bugger it so hummmed and ahhhhed dam it 50 bux ok grab it...20190809_101017.jpg 20190809_101026.jpg 20190809_101043.jpg
Sooo guess what... spark? Yup nice fat blue Wahoo ok dam Mac carb but ahh will see well it bloody runs and runs well infact extremely well and the bloody primer even works too. It even oils the useable 20inch bar and chain.

All in all I thought I was buying a dog of a thing cos I felt sorry for it and would of supplied a few parts but nope I have a perfectly running 2-10 for the herd. The air cleaner is even good.

And blimy this thing is light

Well yesterday a mate found a old Mac for me and he did well I've tought him which ones to get so any way he rings me up excited as and he found me a 10 series nice and complete so I start asking the important questions and grrr it's a dam 2-10 bugger it so hummmed and ahhhhed dam it 50 bux ok grab it...View attachment 752067 View attachment 752068 View attachment 752069
Sooo guess what... spark? Yup nice fat blue Wahoo ok dam Mac carb but ahh will see well it bloody runs and runs well infact extremely well and the bloody primer even works too. It even oils the useable 20inch bar and chain.

All in all I thought I was buying a dog of a thing cos I felt sorry for it and would of supplied a few parts but nope I have a perfectly running 2-10 for the herd. The air cleaner is even good.

Damn! , you spent 50 bux on that? IT'S PROBABLY ONLY GOT ANOTHER 40 YEARS IN IT! nice grab.

As I understand it, most of the earlier 10 Series saws had magnesium tanks which certainly made them lighter. Pick up a PM700 and feel the difference in weight due to the aluminum fuel tank.

Mark

Ahhh so that's where some of the difference is a while back people were weighing all the bits and the chain brake and cover wasn't the whole story. Thanks Mark the 700 is a heap heavier indeed and the 7-10s are not quite as porky by feel.

Now next question is it doesn't have A or Auto in the label but I can see a pump in the tank. I spose it may not be the original cover.

Something else I've noticed over the 10 series life and it's like my victa mowers too is they bit by bit made them cheaper and cheaper year by year like the little Mac logos on the fuel cap and starters the mag parts changing to alloy. By the time the pm 10s were around all those little finishing touches were gone :(

As if they didn't vibrate enough already.

Could have been used for framing utility poles back in the old days instead of hand drilling.
It was a mates who bought it new, he used it as a contract fencer for gate gudgeons. It makes the new hi tech cordless drills look like something from the 'ladies wear' department.

I don't think that particular 82cc version is very common .
If it turns out ok, I think it would be a good comparison to a Husky 480 ive got. From what I understand, the Mcculloch 850's and similar competed with that class of saw in the day. The Husky 480cd is a cool old saw, but I like the bark these the old macs make.
Ahhh so that's where some of the difference is a while back people were weighing all the bits and the chain brake and cover wasn't the whole story. Thanks Mark the 700 is a heap heavier indeed and the 7-10s are not quite as porky by feel.

Now next question is it doesn't have A or Auto in the label but I can see a pump in the tank. I spose it may not be the original cover.

Something else I've noticed over the 10 series life and it's like my victa mowers too is they bit by bit made them cheaper and cheaper year by year like the little Mac logos on the fuel cap and starters the mag parts changing to alloy. By the time the pm 10s were around all those little finishing touches were gone :(

Your not wrong there, Ive got a old Mcculloch with the starter cord in the middle of the frame... cant remember, D-10 or something? (it was the model they tried to use a 10:1 ratio mix to lube the bar oil as well) and its got all sorts of flash castings and little attention to detail bits on it.

Well yesterday a mate found a old Mac for me and he did well I've tought him which ones to get so any way he rings me up excited as and he found me a 10 series nice and complete so I start asking the important questions and grrr it's a dam 2-10 bugger it so hummmed and ahhhhed dam it 50 bux ok grab it...View attachment 752067 View attachment 752068 View attachment 752069

Jethro that looks like itll clean up great. Nice score.

I think the PM850 Super was an attempt by McCulloch to make the PM800/805 more palatable. The PM850 was truly an exceptional saw and I think they lost a little something with the PM800/805 so calling it a PM850 Super might convince a few to buy it based on the reputation of the 850.

I have a very clean, low hour saw (thanks again Mike) but I have not tried running it against my better PM850.

IMG_1288.JPG

Mark

That is a sweet find for $50 pacific peso's. first time IvIMG_1477.jpg IMG_1478.jpg IMG_1479.jpg IMG_1480.jpg e seen a 2-10 mac. It looks very similar to a saw I found in a skip (long story), Danarm 55. Poms must have copied the macs. it goes ok, but not the same grunt as a Mac. Uses same carb as most Mac 10 series.

Thanks Vinny 20190809_142341.jpg
Those danarm saws look quite nice really and yes 50 pesos for a runner is just right in my book. And yeah never even considered finding a 2-10 was not in my list especially all the hate the bullfrog gets. I'll get a 16" bar on it n see how she cuts in the weekend

I watched a youtuber convert to an sdc and all he did was tap new holes to fit the walbro and lincages and put some short cap screws where the bullfrog was mounted

Latest posts

Back