McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My MMWS 395 could easily replace my 125 and like the ported 088, replace my 125. It'll run a 60" bar just fine. Much as I like my 125's and 101's, that ported 395 has it all over those two heavyweights mentioned.
I watched a video on YouTube last night by CJs saws , a ported with 372 carb ms180 running a 28" bar 3/8 Lp and it was tearing up some wood!!! But I probably won't ditch my 10-10's.
It's a lot like the difference between the new vehicle I drive for work and my 68' Plymouth, the new one is easier to drive but alot less smiles per gallon.

Went to an old saw shop today and they had a 7-10 in the back with a scored piston , fellows said they had a piston and cylinder kit some where and would call me when they find it.
Anyway the saw had a little wheel on the recoil pull cord cover obviously for the pull cord to roll on when started , I've never seen it before, is it common ? Its definitely factory.

Jethro, probably have 3 months to go before decision time. I really like the old 125s but it is a lot of saw to lug around when an 800 with a long bar will handle about everything we cut. I am thinking something with more power and pounds lighter than an 800 may be the cat’s meow for my use. Ron

It would be 1 hell of a saw no doubt about it

Between Brian and me, one of us has to remain serious otherwise all pandemonium breaks out. Actually I was just concentrating. If I dropped that round it is heavy enough to roll through the side of a house.

Ron
That being said. I took down a 24-26 inch Hickory for my BIL and noodled most to make it easier when it was time to split it. Stacked all but the last two pieces on the trailer like normal firewood. On the third to last piece, I started cussing, he said "what's wrong"? I said, "brand new 25" chain and I hit something. I bet your ex wife had a bird feeder there!" He says, "no I had the fence nailed to the tree there". Thanks for the warning. The last two pieces were to heavy to lift so I sat them on end and closed the ramp. Got home, took the ramp off, and drove real slow and easy down to my firewood pile. It's steep getting to the pile, and I have stacked firewood to make a barricade, so I wasn't worried. Should have been. Just as I started to swing around and head back up hill, I saw those two rounds come off the trailer and take off, right between two of the stacks. One lodged one my 3 point post hole auger. The other is some where in the next county. I walked all around the neighbors looking for a big whole in a car or house. It missed every thing, I guess, cause I never found it.

I watched a video on YouTube last night by CJs saws , a ported with 372 carb ms180 running a 28" bar 3/8 Lp and it was tearing up some wood!!! But I probably won't ditch my 10-10's.
It's a lot like the difference between the new vehicle I drive for work and my 68' Plymouth, the new one is easier to drive but alot less smiles per gallon.
I can't wait to have my 68 Plymouth back on the road. This was the year it was supposed to start the resto. Then My daughter had to go and get engaged. She's getting married in November. The resto money is going to the wedding. The good news, January first I can make a draw on the old 401K.
H6FIR32.jpg

That being said. I took down a 24-26 inch Hickory for my BIL and noodled most to make it easier when it was time to split it. Stacked all but the last two pieces on the trailer like normal firewood. On the third to last piece, I started cussing, he said "what's wrong"? I said, "brand new 25" chain and I hit something. I bet your ex wife had a bird feeder there!" He says, "no I had the fence nailed to the tree there". Thanks for the warning. The last two pieces were to heavy to lift so I sat them on end and closed the ramp. Got home, took the ramp off, and drove real slow and easy down to my firewood pile. It's steep getting to the pile, and I have stacked firewood to make a barricade, so I wasn't worried. Should have been. Just as I started to swing around and head back up hill, I saw those two rounds come off the trailer and take off, right between two of the stacks. One lodged one my 3 point post hole auger. The other is some where in the next county. I walked all around the neighbors looking for a big whole in a car or house. It missed every thing, I guess, cause I never found it.

Mate a classic tale right there haha lucky man. Nice car too

I've been a little busy folks.I bought 2 nice big old Macs from a fellow member here.I got a 1-46 that I'm still working on & I just got a 250 going,it didn't take much to get it going - a new fuel tank gasket,new fuel filter,& a new fuel cap.I had to play around with the flatback carb a bit to get it going.I put a new fuel line on it too,that I found hanging in my garage from God only knows when.Lol Anyway I got it running fairly well today & made a test cut with it on the wood pile.Man can that saw cut! It has a .404 on it.
thumbnail.jpg

thumbnail.jpg

thumbnail.jpg

thumbnail.jpg
Ed

Attachments

• thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    244.1 KB · Views: 8
I've worked on the pm 10-10s I bought for $15 the last two days. No compression but the piston and rings look good through both the intake and exhaust. Should I try putting new rings in it?

Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk

You could have a stuck ring. Have you inspected the top of the piston for damage or a hole? Make sure that your ring moves smoothly in the grove. Also check ring end gap. Could be that the ring is worn out. Not likely, but could happen.

Brian
This will be my next move

Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk

If the ring(s) are sticking you can use a 50/50 mix of ATF & acetone.Fill te cylinder with it & let it set a few days.You can pull it over every now & then,but you'll most likely need to add more of the mix.This will free up your ring(s).
Ed

Latest posts

Back