McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NorthEast Tennessee Third Pre-Season MAC Report

Slow start today. Up past 11:00 last night dealing with a broken off drill bit. Started loading just before 8:00 this morning, but i had run the tractor battery down last night lighting the late work session. Didn't get two miles and had smoke pouring off the trailer. Brian came in from the work site to help. After ruling out the bearings and giving them fresh grease and making sure the wheel turned easily. We headed out again just to get another mile down the road when Brian called saying he could smell burning rubber. Pulled off just as small puffs of smoke were starting. We discovered that a tire was rubbing the fender. First time my removable fenders came in handy. Threw the culprit in the back of the truck and got to the work site at 11:00 - poor start when the goal was to head home at noon due to my kids being in town.

Work site was several large dead ash in a power line ROW down the side of the hill with one ash at the top. Brian and I loaded out the top ash. While he was trucking I piled the remainder for the next load and then set up to pull the first ash log up the hill.
IMG_4650.JPG IMG_4652.JPG

Much more weigh than we could safely handle so Brian ended up cutting it in two with his 800.
IMG_4654.JPG

Winched the big end up the hill all 1600+# of it. Then Brian started to cut it in two again with his 805 (log was too big around for the grapple or for a single choker so I was unable to get it trailer height with either end of the tractor. I wasn't thinking but could have saved Brian the cut if we had used a log chain). Anyway the 805 was running poorly so the 800 finished the job.

Ron

This valuable report is provided through the the generous support of MacNuts like you and Blind Squirrel Falling, one of America's greatest imaginary businesses.

Brian

What year is your truck? Looks like what would be an 81-86 (bricknose) F100 in Australia? I love the old F-trucks and that particular year shape. I have an 89 F150 that I am doing a complete restoration of but the plan was to always put a front clip off an earlier model.

With regards to assembling the crankcase on an old 7-10A (with the cylinder / oil tank halves) - when applying crankcase sealant (I have threebond 1104), do I just run a bead, or do I smear with my finger everywhere? How much should I use? - I dont want it running into the crankcase when compressed, but dont want sealing issues by not using enough.

So today began my firewood season...it went better than expected. My firewood tractor is a massey ferguson 471 4x4. All tires loaded, loader frame on also. Its heavy so it has great traction. I started small with 2 trees that were down last fall. A black walnut and a shagbark hickory both similiar in diameter (17" or so). Both nearly 40ft long. Not huge but lots of wood. The awesome part was using a mcculloch saw! So a few weeks ago i asked help identifying what turned out to be a 6-10a. Well, it came back to me. The guy didnt like it and bought a stihl 170 on sale. To each their own. Stihl makes great stuff, so i was offered the 6-10. No hesitation on my part. I was the one who got it going in the first place so i know it runs. I was very pleased. Man that saw will cut. It has a 18" .325 bar and chain. That thing really eats. Winds out tight and does not slow down. Louder than heck but we have ear plugs for that...ha ha. Light weight, easy to handle. I was impressed to say the least. Tomorrow i have more dragging in to do before i buck and split. Ill try to get some photos. I cant say enough...70cc is awesome and fast!!!

Could my crank seals be the culprit?

If the rings are good, bad seals won't have much effect on top end compression. You mean you don't have that thing torn down yet? LOL

And wasn't someone just looking for an SP 40 manual? The post seems to have disappeared. Here's an IPL. The service manual I have is barely legible.

Attachments

• Super Pro 40 Feb 77.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 5
If the rings are good, bad seals won't have much effect on top end compression. You mean you don't have that thing torn down yet? LOL

And wasn't someone just looking for an SP 40 manual? The post seems to have disappeared. Here's an IPL. The service manual I have is barely legible.
Not yet yesterday was my birthday so I was busy with the wife and some friends eating cake LOL.

Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back