McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah worth a shot. That's the right size printed on the tube. The regular milk line is smaller id and thicker wall I couldn't get to go on at all.

Yeah checked the bore it looks okish I have a 700 in worse nick and it's a ripper the piston looks nice on intake but haven't pulled the muffler

Ive got a 10-10 righty that has a terrible piston and it does the same thing but I've also had it do it,

Due to ignition timing, on most of my 10-10s there is enough slop in the coil laminate to move it up or down a couple of degrees in flywheel relation , even if I gapped it right it'll Ethier bite me with the starter pull or spit back gas excessive.
I've run into it so might be worth checking out?

Ive got a 10-10 righty that has a terrible piston and it does the same thing but I've also had it do it,

Due to ignition timing, on most of my 10-10s there is enough slop in the coil laminate to move it up or down a couple of degrees in flywheel relation , even if I gapped it right it'll Ethier bite me with the starter pull or spit back gas excessive.
I've run into it so might be worth checking out?

Hmm yeah interesting thought about the ignition timing it's a points saw too so perhaps the gap needs set again

Ok guys do any of you use an ultrasonic cleaner to clean your parts? I'm interested in one but does it really work?

Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk

Go to the beg for manuals and they may have something.

Brian

Thanks, I'll check that out. I did get it running yesterday with some more tinkering. The primer was stuck, so once some tapping freed it up, that worked better than pouring some gas into the carb. If the manual oiler works, I may be in business!

Ok guys do any of you use an ultrasonic cleaner to clean your parts? I'm interested in one but does it really work?

Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk

I own one and use it for all my small engine parts cleaning - I have found it will remove most gunk (super handy for carby passages etc) but it wont remove real heavy sludge (or caked on woodchips) on it's own, but running it through a 30minute cycle at 60 degrees celcius will soften it up to the point that you can wipe it off easy.

I paid like $150 AUD so it was definately worth it for me....you could achieve the same effect with degreaser / brush / and patience but it's easier just to chuck a heap of parts in, set it running and come back and pull them out.

I own one identical to this in the 6 litre version
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DIGITAL...=30224184808698d02656dbe8425ba8576b1e2f5c7601

Finally got 790 clutch together. At first I tried rolling/pushing it down an aersol can with a taper at top. Just doesn't work, spring is too stiff and just keeps popping undone. 20191003_223335.jpg

So I ended up getting it started on 2 shoes and held it in place with needle nose vice grips like so.20191003_224335.jpg

I then would keep jambing screwdriver in taking a little bite at a time. Each time I would slide vice grips along following my progress until it popped all the way on. What a bear of a job. I will say though once I tried this method it took just a couple minutes. Wear your safety glasses, that spring comes undone with some force!20191003_224315.jpg

Finally got 790 clutch together. At first I tried rolling/pushing it down an aersol can with a taper at top. Just doesn't work, spring is too stiff and just keeps popping undone. View attachment 763453

So I ended up getting it started on 2 shoes and held it in place with needle nose vice grips like so.View attachment 763454

I then would keep jambing screwdriver in taking a little bite at a time. Each time I would slide vice grips along following my progress until it popped all the way on. What a bear of a job. I will say though once I tried this method it took just a couple minutes. Wear your safety glasses, that spring comes undone with some force!View attachment 763455

Wahoo man good job what a mission

I finally put my McCulloch Super 44A together today and it runs!
I'll need to cleanup a few minor details like replacing the wires to the point and on/off switch and reattach the pull handle (it popped off again)
I'm going to make a loop of .404 because it had a beat chain on it. Just need to tweak the carb and bury it in some wood.
The engine was a parts saw I got but when I checked it out it was pristine w/ a ton of compression so I used it and parted out my original saw.
4eabf5d991df70f9aaa8709cf11ea814.jpg
0b6a9bd7ad631f34da86b7bfff4cebf9.jpg
b8f82bc9a9090abc0038be14c37e67cd.jpg

Homelite collector in training [emoji879]

How do I install the piston / piston rings in the cylinder on these 10 series mccullochs? I cant get my ring compressor down in there...do I just seat the piston against the bore and try and compress the rings with the little cutout on the side where the piston ring locator is?

I see the bore has a taper so im guessing i probably just push it in but bit nervous about breaking rings or something.

Alrighty, I got the piston in...damn I have a love / hate relationship playing with these things - makes me nervous when parts dont go in easily

Latest posts

Back