McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got it together, the crank still rotates so that is a good sign lol...hopefully didnt get any threebond where it shouldn't be....I still get a bit nervous when assembling these things...but its all fun from here just bolting bits back up.

I managed to mess up the small bearing vacuum seal - I must have installed it slightly cockeyed and when it squared up it pushed the inner seal out a bit - I dont think it will effect the saw though for the single digit times it will be ran before mounted on wall...if I lived in USA I might have bought another one but not worth the hassle for a shelf saw...just chalk it up to experience.

IMG_0556.JPG IMG_0557.JPG

Sweet, a little push with a small screwdriver got the inner rubber seal back in place and it popped back into place - all back to normal

Any of you guys good with those electronic conversion chips?

Can you see anything I have stuffed up below with wiring one in to the 7-10A. I've grouded the ignition module to the bolt that holds the coil and the coil ground...I've wired the positive to the positive that previously went to the points / condensor. I haven't wired in the kill switch - I wouldn't have thought that matters.

I'm not that great with circuits etc, but I thought these were fairly straight forward to wire up and have had success in the past. I know the coil is good.

IMG_0559.JPG IMG_0560.JPG IMG_0561.JPG

Sorry guys, fixed the problem - I had the + / - backwards on the ignition module lol....works fine now, nice strong spark....

I'll leave the pics up just in case anyone wanted ideas for how to mount the unit in these saws....

You may be right, i figure the air coming from the flywheel fins would help cool it...but either way this saw is getting mounted on a wall so will only be ran a handful of times so it's not super critical...

You may be right, i figure the air coming from the flywheel fins would help cool it...but either way this saw is getting mounted on a wall so will only be ran a handful of times so it's not super critical...
I put a Nova II module on one of my Homelite Super 1050's, and my John Deere 265. Got a solid 10 years on the JD, and just replaced th Module a couple weeks ago. The Super 1050 has the points under the flywheel. I ran the wire out from under the FW and mounted it to an existing hole in the case. I guy over on HOH was trashing the modules because he burned out 4 of them almost instantly. He mounted them on top of the coil. He said his instructions said not to mount near the coil. He put them on the coil anyway. Said he couldn't find anywhere else to put them. Where there is a will, there is a way. I recommend keeping it as far as possible from the coil, exposed to the air.

NorthEast Tennessee MAC Report

Firewood season for the Wood Ministry officially kicked off today. Brian and I didn't notice and went straight to the work site so I don't know how many showed or if there was breakfast and lunch. Several of our fearless leaders were at the Paul Bunyan Show looking at processors.

Anyway down in the trenches, Brian and I pulled ash logs up the hill all morning. We did a little cleanup with one of his 1010s and we made one large cut with his 800. We wouldn't make it on YouTube as I didn't take any pictures and I don't believe Brian did either. Both saws ran great as usual.

We did suffer a little carnage when the winch pulled one end of the cable tensioner apart and then broke off one of the brace mounts as it tried to swallow the roller. Not to be discouraged we kept working until just after noon when I rolled the right tire off its bead. More carnage when we broke the LO's 7/8" socket trying to remove the lug bolts. Long story short, Brian and I destroyed a ratchet strap and threw away every quarter we had plus 8 more we got in a swap trying to re-seat the tire. Ended up at a local tire shop that fixed it for us for free with three blasts from a tire blaster.

Beautiful day - probably 15 degrees cooler that last week. Next week we will still be pulling ash. Hopefully we will finish and start cutting again. The MACs are getting restless.

Ron

This valuable report is provided through the the generous support of MacNuts like you and Blind Squirrel Falling, one of America's greatest imaginary businesses.

I got no pictures either. Only cuts made today at our location were me with the PM10-10 cutting small log to get it out of our way, Ron making one cut with the PM10-10 on another small log to get it out of our way. We cut one medium size log with the PM800. I cut one side of it and handed it over the log to Ron for him to cut the other side. Only other thing I can think of is me being ballast as I have been many times in my life. Seams like one of my better performed tasks. Dead weight...HaHaHa.

Brian

Jerry, i am a fan of those modules.ive got several saws with them and ive only replaced one over the yrs. Theyll give you spark either way wired up. However itll only run right wired properly. It may even run wired wrong but run right wired correctly. If that makes sense. Youll know when you start it. If wrong itll pop kinda funny. I mount them in air flow on the case somewhere to keep them cool. They do work well for me. Im not a purist that has to have points no matter what, if the points work then i keep them. If they dont i use a chip. I bought a cp125 this yr that looked new...the guy had a chip in it wrong. It actually started but just didnt run right. When i went to check the points i found the chip in it. I reveresed the wires and it ran great after that. Good luck on your saw.

Here's a pic of where I mounted the module on my Super 1050.
I6ItQiP.jpg

Jerry, i am a fan of those modules.ive got several saws with them and ive only replaced one over the yrs. Theyll give you spark either way wired up. However itll only run right wired properly. It may even run wired wrong but run right wired correctly. If that makes sense. Youll know when you start it. If wrong itll pop kinda funny. I mount them in air flow on the case somewhere to keep them cool. They do work well for me. Im not a purist that has to have points no matter what, if the points work then i keep them. If they dont i use a chip. I bought a cp125 this yr that looked new...the guy had a chip in it wrong. It actually started but just didnt run right. When i went to check the points i found the chip in it. I reveresed the wires and it ran great after that. Good luck on your saw.

I was not enough weight on a couple of the loads, going to have to put rocks in my pocket next week...HaHaHa

Brian

ok guys i got my 10-10s back together. she busted off but flooded. i have the low and high turned out one full turn is that too much on the low?

ok guys i got my 10-10s back together. she busted off but flooded. i have the low and high turned out one full turn is that too much on the low?

One turn on both is OK and shouldn't cause flooding. The usual culprits are,

Metering diaphragm not hooked into the metering lever.
Crud between the metering needle and seat.
Metering needle stuck open.

Sometimes the mix needle(s) and seat are damaged and let more fuel through.
Maybe mixed up order of gaskets and diaphragms.

Back