McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
404 skip will be interesting to see on the 700

How much of a step is the 60 over the 55/S?
The loop is full comp but like chipper chain.
The 60 feels like its got more grunt but honestly I haven't really worked the S that hard yet , I sould probably put it in work rotation. Come February I will have some big oaks and elms to get off a golf course so I'll put a 55 and an S through some paces and let you know. Theres one codominate oak nightmare that is 60" at the base, but I'll probably get them off the stump with the 7 cube offbrand. Then the Mccullochs for bucking up.

The loop is full comp but like chipper chain.
The 60 feels like its got more grunt but honestly I haven't really worked the S that hard yet , I sould probably put it in work rotation. Come February I will have some big oaks and elms to get off a golf course so I'll put a 55 and an S through some paces and let you know. Theres one codominate oak nightmare that is 60" at the base, but I'll probably get them off the stump with the 7 cube offbrand. Then the Mccullochs for bucking up.

I think its really cool that you actually work with these saws and you must be part of a very small group of people still working day to day with an old mac

This and that.

Aaron, I spun two 106DL .063 3/8s tonight. There was a NOS shroud on eBay if you are still looking for one.

Chainsaw carnage is like most things in life, we usually contribute to it. I measured a sampling of the depth gauges on the chain my 800 was wearing when it destroyed the last two bar adjusters; most were significantly lower than .040" (which is the lowest guide I have). So much for the eye ball it, hit em with the grinder and go approach.

Chainsaw troubles aren't the only challenges in my life. Nonetheless, life would be awful boring if we had no challenges. Last Friday I spent the day with my SIL and his dad replacing a water line at my SIL's house. As my SIL was on his knees chopping roots out of the trench with an axe, I overheard his dad ask, "Son, did you take my axe?" and the reply, "Yes, I got it the other day when I dropped by." I thought to myself, boy I'm glad its not my axe he whacking away with in the dirt and rocks. Later while just trying to make conversation with his dad, I stated that the axe looks like one of those nice Husqvarna axes. To which my overhearing SIL replies, "Yalp, Ron, its your axe." Dad's axe was only a few feet away in his garage and yet he had walked to the street and gotten mine out of my Toyota. I couldn't bring myself to choke him in front of his dad but the thought did cross my mind. One more example: I earlier posted some pictures where I was cutting Saturday. What I didn't show were all the nice trees that had been marked to be cut. In an attempt to set a good example and re-pay the landowner for his generousity, I spend the morning cutting several large but firewood useless trash trees first before starting on the "good" wood. With barely a dent in the good wood, the landowner's wife comes out in the field with a cellphone. Her husband is on the line and has changed his mind about cutting the "good" stuff as they had just sold the property.

Ron

Here is a peace of pure gold from Ron I laughed very hard and nearly cried at this post and read it to my wife the bit about the axe.

Thank you Ron for these gems you have a way with words mate and could happily read a book of your exploits and mishaps.

Very sad about your land cruiser

Page 988 April 2013

I think its really cool that you actually work with these saws and you must be part of a very small group of people still working day to day with an old mac
Haha , working in general is dying off!, but hopefully some of the new guys see me working with the old saws and get interested.

I couldn't bring myself to choke him in front of his dad but the thought did cross my mind

I read that post and had to laugh, but also at the same time wonder how many times he did not want to choke me in front of my son. I have used his beloved Husqvarna axe a couple times, but never cutting roots in the dirt, just pounding wedges. It is a really nice axe that has almost made it into my truck a few times...HaHaHa But I know if it did his hands would make there way around my neck, son or not.
The Toyota Land Cruiser makes it's way in our conversations often as both of us have had them and regret getting rid of them. Just yesterday it was brought up in conversation. He has managed to let me drive his truck that replaced the Toyota a few times, but guarded. Heck he even let me haul my son and Boxer dog in it all the way to Mississippi and back.... HaHaHa As he knows I can tare up a anvil with a q-tip. Heck I got his old army 6X6 stuck, and almost on flat ground. Some of the slickest muck I have ever seen.

All in all he is a great person who has done a lot for me and many others. I look forward to cutting with him on Saturdays. I am the kind that will just wade into a job and he is the one that is level headed and stops and thinks about things. Keeps me in line.

Brian

Problem I am having saw starts and runs fine until it gets hot, then dies and won't restart. Not sure if coil or fuel related.

Aside from trying a new plug, pull and ground the plug to the cylinder or muffler to check for spark the next time it happens. I'll guess weak or no spark. May also want to check your kill wire from the switch all the way to the coil for chafing or pinching that may create a short after the saw warms up. Easy way to eliminate that possibility is to simply remove the kill wire from the coil and test for spark again.

Haha , working in general is dying off!, but hopefully some of the new guys see me working with the old saws and get interested.

Do you ever get asked about them?

I read that post and had to laugh, but also at the same time wonder how many times he did not want to choke me in front of my son. I have used his beloved Husqvarna axe a couple times, but never cutting roots in the dirt, just pounding wedges. It is a really nice axe that has almost made it into my truck a few times...HaHaHa But I know if it did his hands would make there way around my neck, son or not.
The Toyota Land Cruiser makes it's way in our conversations often as both of us have had them and regret getting rid of them. Just yesterday it was brought up in conversation. He has managed to let me drive his truck that replaced the Toyota a few times, but guarded. Heck he even let me haul my son and Boxer dog in it all the way to Mississippi and back.... HaHaHa As he knows I can tare up a anvil with a q-tip. Heck I got his old army 6X6 stuck, and almost on flat ground. Some of the slickest muck I have ever seen.

All in all he is a great person who has done a lot for me and many others. I look forward to cutting with him on Saturdays. I am the kind that will just wade into a job and he is the one that is level headed and stops and thinks about things. Keeps me in line.

Brian

He won't want to choke you Brian I'm sure:)

Those swedish axes are very nice indeed.
What sort of cruiser did you have Brian? They are very well built machines any of them.

He definitely seems like a nice man that's for sure.

The seldom seen Pro Mac 555 (same displacement) was introduced 1978,I've seen maybe 10 in 25+ years being around this stuff.

I had forgotten about the 555 so that's the electronic ignition saw in between. I didn't realize it was that rare though.
Thinking about it the 54cc was dropped for the S I wonder if sales were not real flash for 555 and the 10-10 name was more popular so the 555 got dropped instead of the 10-10 when mechanically the 555 lived on for many many years.

Do you ever get asked about them?

He won't want to choke you Brian I'm sure:)

Those swedish axes are very nice indeed.
What sort of cruiser did you have Brian? They are very well built machines any of them.

He definitely seems like a nice man that's for sure.

I had forgotten about the 555 so that's the electronic ignition saw in between. I didn't realize it was that rare though.
Thinking about it the 54cc was dropped for the S I wonder if sales were not real flash for 555 and the 10-10 name was more popular so the 555 got dropped instead of the 10-10 when mechanically the 555 lived on for many many years.

I get asked all the time, and let guys make a couple cuts to ruin their ideas about saws.

That's cool man thank you for posting that I have saved it. I have an IPL for all my saws and but no advertising though.

So looking at that are you going to buy a 555 or dig in a bit deeper and grab a 700

My very clean PM850 with 176PSI,90% original paint & 28" Speed Mac sprocket nose bar (rebranded Windsor) with 3/8" skip tooth chain cost $350 shipped from Roseburg,Oregon in 2015. Its a monster for its size. I think I did OK :rock:

I get asked all the time, and let guys make a couple cuts to ruin their ideas about saws.

Haha do ya at least give them some air muffs:)
Interesting looking at the inflated prices of today wow not cheap saws.

My very clean PM850 with 176PSI,90% original paint & 28" Speed Mac sprocket nose bar (rebranded Windsor) with 3/8" skip tooth chain cost $350 shipped from Roseburg,Oregon in 2015. Its a monster for its size. I think I did OK :rock:

You did very well and I hope you use it often

I have not encountered a PM105 myself, but others have stated the fuel tank would be the same as a 797 and related models. If that is the case, the air filter would be the same as all the other large frame saws from the D-30/44 etc. all the way up through the 700/800 series saws. That would be the large, flat almost square shaped air filter, but a view with the AF cover off would quickly confirm it.

Same goes for the bar, any large frame bar will work.

The clutch cover is set up for a chain brake but I'm not sure the PM105 would have been equipped with a brake. The same clutch cover would also have been used on the SP105 and 125.

The elusive 895CL would have been the gear drive version of the same saw.

Mark

Thanks for the info! Here’s some more photos with less covered [emoji3092]

I ordered a new fuel line and filter (had some leakage at carb. I want to throw a bar on, epoxy the handle together, and call it a day but something tells me I’ll go down the yellow and black hole if I keep it. [emoji874]

9156cfdf5fdb9246a25a4c0735bc4f39.jpg
c5a7abbfc78b22317e564bf292e624cd.jpg
b8fdaf5ea27a48211b3495d0260f0588.jpg
e4882017530612fd0eb198607c33fac1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back