McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NorthEast Tennessee Saturday MAC Report

Another beautiful day in North East Tennessee yesterday. The only action my MAC had was being put in the truck and then later back in the rack. I loaded and hauled logs; I only bucked two small trees with an off-brand. Brian and Lee, however, broke the crisp tranquility with the popping of a 1010 and the confident whine of an 800.

Long distance shot. Lee in the light blue.
IMG_4878.JPG

Never could catch either of the boogers facing me.
IMG_4881.JPG

IMG_4885.JPG

Don't know what to say about Jethro mining the past except to say it has been quite a ride so far.

Ron

This valuable report is provided through the the generous support of MacNuts like you and Blind Squirrel Falling, one of America's greatest imaginary businesses

NorthEast Tennessee Saturday MAC Report

Another beautiful day in North East Tennessee yesterday. The only action my MAC had was being put in the truck and then later back in the rack. I loaded and hauled logs; I only bucked two small trees with an off-brand. Brian and Lee, however, broke the crisp tranquility with the popping of a 1010 and the confident whine of an 800.

Long distance shot. Lee in the light blue.
View attachment 782119

Never could catch either of the boogers facing me.
View attachment 782120

View attachment 782121

Don't know what to say about Jethro mining the past except to say it has been quite a ride so far.

Ron

This valuable report is provided through the the generous support of MacNuts like you and Blind Squirrel Falling, one of America's greatest imaginary businesses

Is that more dead ash? Is there any ash living in your neck of the woods?

Yeah its mainly learning about mac saws to save asking stupid questions but I still manage to ask plenty of those lol.

sadly there's not very many pictures still working now

The seldom seen Pro Mac 555 (same displacement) was introduced 1978,I've seen maybe 10 in 25+ years being around this stuff.

Here's one I ended up with from a municipal auction I won a few years back (along with several other saws including three PM700s, a bunch of Mac parts, various bars, etc.) One other guy and myself were the only bidders and his limit was evidently $150. I got everything for $151. This has great compression and good spark as did all the saws. Needs the usual fuel system attention and a rear handle brace to be good to go.

1222192026_resized.jpg

Here's a PM55 I snagged around the same time. Sitting in the wings with all my other 10 series projects. Also has great comp and spark along with the superb redneckery on that muffler.

The recoil looks a bit suspicious too? Clocks ah ticking man! Get out there and enjoy those Mac's.
Honestly I love messing around with the old saws and get kind of obsessed with getting them up and running so I can cut with them.

Clocks ah ticking man! Get out there and enjoy those Mac's.

Would love to, and I hear ya. Just a little easier said than done when I'm up to my ears in other people's saws all the time..., and steadily behind most of the time. Finally started blowing off the plastic big box saws and now also charge a deposit/diagnostic fee before accepting anything else. I'm hoping that'll smooth out the flow to a more reasonable pace and weed out the garage sale folks who come in with non-running junk hoping to get it fixed for nothing. Have definitely been too lenient in the past with that sort of thing and let it get away from me a little. At the same time, I was acquiring more and more pro business..., including a fair amount of traffic from both the Stihl and Husky dealers near me. And when word started getting around that I'd work on anything, especially the older saws, it caught up with me pretty fast. Should smooth out enough after the holidays to work on the shop and find some quality Mac time, though. Sure hope so.

Main thing is to keep it fun and not let having actual customers make it feel like "work". So far, so good. LOL

Happy Holidays Mac brethren!

Would love to, and I hear ya. Just a little easier said than done when I'm up to my ears in other people's saws all the time..., and steadily behind most of the time. Finally started blowing off the plastic big box saws and now also charge a deposit/diagnostic fee before accepting anything else. I'm hoping that'll smooth out the flow to a more reasonable pace and weed out the garage sale folks who come in with non-running junk hoping to get it fixed for nothing. Have definitely been too lenient in the past with that sort of thing and let it get away from me a little. At the same time, I was acquiring more and more pro business..., including a fair amount of traffic from both the Stihl and Husky dealers near me. And when word started getting around that I'd work on anything, especially the older saws, it caught up with me pretty fast. Should smooth out enough after the holidays to work on the shop and find some quality Mac time, though. Sure hope so.

Main thing is to keep it fun and not let having actual customers make it feel like "work". So far, so good. LOL

Happy Holidays Mac brethren!

I didn't realize how much you were doing for others wow no wonder projects are taking a while

Got a tough one. Pm800 that refuses to stay running but will start back up easy. Good compression,new intake,new impulse,new crank seals,known good carb and coil, new av mounts, have taken spark screen out and tried, no ring damage, pretty clean cylinder, piston looks good,no vertical play in bearings. Starts up and idles, revs super rich then cuts out and back to rich like cutting fuel on and off. Got it needing a lot of parts but its still the same after all that just easier to start. I am completely stumped. Maybe a bad port job but dont know history. Any guesses?

Think I'd start with the fuel filter and work backward from there all the way to the metering lever/spring. If that didn't turn up anything, think I'd try another 'known good' coil.
Thanks for the reply. New filter and line also been trying different metering levels. Guess putting an inline light on sparkplug might show if spark is cutting out. Coil i used works on different saw. Original one worked too but was coming loose of mount.

Latest posts

Back