McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NorthEast Tennessee Saturday MAC Report

Another beautiful day in North East Tennessee today. Brian was off so the only MAC action was my felling of a Black Walnut and an Ash with the PM800.

Walnut went easy.
View attachment 783459

The Ash was leaning and limb weighted to the creek. Wedges weren't enough; it took a few tugs with the pickup to keep it out of the creek. Still twisted a good 40* from the face and hinge. Hope someone gets a lot of heat out of it - I invested a nice $12 wedge in it.
View attachment 783465

Brian should be along later in the week to buck these two.

Happy New Year!

Ron

This valuable report is provided through the the generous support of MacNuts like you and Blind Squirrel Falling, one of America's greatest imaginary businesses
Way to still pull it in. Sometimes even the instincts arent loud enough and we have to improvise.

OK, Mac Gurus I have a question for you. PM 700 and it has the reed style muffler on it, what is the real gain suppose to be with a reed style on there? I have read in the past that they claimed it helped it pull in more on the intake side but I honestly don't know. Now I just started working on this saw and notice the reed is broken off, is there really any need to replace it????
reed.jpg

I have some literature that describes the improved noise attenuation with the reed type mufflers including a graphic representation of the sound pressure wave from the saw. If I can remember I will scan or take a photo and post it.

I will say that a NOS reed type muffler will make a McCulloch SP70 much, much quieter...so much so that you are convinced it does cut so fast...until you run it side by side with another 70 cc McCulloch.

DSC05857.JPG

Mark

Thanks for the info. Mark.

Next question, Are the bolt ups the same from the earlier series of saws? I have a 555 that has the standard muffler on it with the small port. The port is not the issue it's the fact I have to put a spark arrestor screen on it and that's just going to choke that saw off something fierce. I would like to replace it with a different muffler that has a much larger spark arrester screen like the 700 has but I haven't been able to find a 700 muffler so that has me wondering if I can go to a 850 or and earlier version of muffler in it's place.

Next question, Are the bolt ups the same from the earlier series of saws? I have a 555 that has the standard muffler on it with the small port. The port is not the issue it's the fact I have to put a spark arrestor screen on it and that's just going to choke that saw off something fierce. I would like to replace it with a different muffler that has a much larger spark arrester screen like the 700 has but I haven't been able to find a 700 muffler so that has me wondering if I can go to a 850 or and earlier version of muffler in it's place.

Yes you can muck around with the 54 to 70cc saws but no the 82s are not unfortunately.

I have some literature that describes the improved noise attenuation with the reed type mufflers including a graphic representation of the sound pressure wave from the saw. If I can remember I will scan or take a photo and post it.

I will say that a NOS reed type muffler will make a McCulloch SP70 much, much quieter...so much so that you are convinced it does cut so fast...until you run it side by side with another 70 cc McCulloch.

View attachment 783577

Mark

Mark that is a ridiculously clean sp70

Im pretty sure the ten series will work up to 70cc models. But jethro is correct. The 82cc will not fit. Ive got a 10-10 that had that tiny flat muffler on it. I put a 2-10 muffler on it for sound and it looks great.

I just bought another saw from ebay. I bought it cause it was listed as a pm55. But nothing on it lead me to think it. The air filter cover sticker says 55 but, nothing else does. Its right hand start, straight carry handle, no curve for the left hand starter housing, its got a larger muffler on it, not the little flat one. The fuel tank has external adjustments that look oddly familiar to me. I believe its a 6-10A. So i offered him $60.00 and he accepted. The compression release is push button type above the spark plug which is different than my 6-10 that has the integrated run stop and compression release all in one. It has no throttle lock though?? Puzzles me. Looking at some pictures on the web i see both variants. Ill find out when it gets here. Incidentally the 6-10 i have came to me with the wrong air filter cover also, which also was from a pm55!! Ironic.

Thanks Jethro and Vinnywv. I just hate to have to put a spark arrestor screen on such a small area knowing it's probably going to cut 75% of the flow off.

Did anyone see the pm800 listed on ebay last night? Id love to see what happened to that poor saw!! Looks great other than the busted up bar stud area. Bad day for that saws life. Shifting tree maybe, caught the bar and ripped it off the saw?
Just seen it now. Other than the crankcase damage/repair,it does look good alright.Even though I got a very clean strong runner from Mark,I'd gladly give the current bid of $106 + shipping for it as a future parts donor.
But I have a feeling that will be quite a bit higher time bidding ends in 6 days,but maybe not.

I just bought another saw from ebay. I bought it cause it was listed as a pm55. But nothing on it lead me to think it. The air filter cover sticker says 55 but, nothing else does. Its right hand start, straight carry handle, no curve for the left hand starter housing, its got a larger muffler on it, not the little flat one. The fuel tank has external adjustments that look oddly familiar to me. I believe its a 6-10A. So i offered him $60.00 and he accepted. The compression release is push button type above the spark plug which is different than my 6-10 that has the integrated run stop and compression release all in one. It has no throttle lock though?? Puzzles me. Looking at some pictures on the web i see both variants. Ill find out when it gets here. Incidentally the 6-10 i have came to me with the wrong air filter cover also, which also was from a pm55!! Ironic.

I found it had to go and have a perv haha no matter what it is I think you did good.
Did the 6-10 ever have the pop up type?

It has been apart at some stage by the look of that shroud. So it could be a 6-10 with a replacement 70cc cylinder from a 7-10 and found an unpainted shroud with the provision for the pop up. Could it be a 55 cylinder under there? And old mate Wilber thought he would put the 55 cover on too lol.

20191130_112859.jpg
My right hand tank topped 10-10S has the little muffler as I'm short of the duct type and the saw guy wants too much for them
But wow is it noisy holly heck it has a real "crack" too it. Sounds real awesome actually and I love this saw it's like a real light pm10-10 with a turbo hahaha

This muffler here on a 7-10 is home built I haven't had it apart as haven't needed to the old owner (who pops in occasionally had it stripped down before me but yeah bla bla it seems to be home built right from the flange it's not just the cover.
20191208_090022.jpg
Its actually a pain in the bum it sits a little low and also twisted a bit plus it's to close too the clutch and a new chain is really hard to get past it but wow it sounds good too. Stonker of a saw this thing all scarred up with lovely war paint.

Jethro, yes the 6-10 did have pop up type. A friend of mine got one a couple weeks ago. 6-10C and it has the pop up type.
I agree it looks like a replacement cylinder. No paint at all. Ill let you know when it gets here.

If anyone is interested in a super44a that fires on prime. I am thinking of parting with it. It ran perfect before filter wick started coming apart...so a new wick and going through carb is a must. I will take pics someday soon. I just never liked the hold it down while starting choke so it sits too much. And i just dont need it.

Latest posts

Back