McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Please dont make me take my 6-10 apart for the sake of science!!!??
Dont get me wrong fellas, i love hunting and fishing. I have ridden street bikes since 15. I have worked on antique tractors and built several chainsaws from a box of parts to a wood cutter. But dont tempt me for science....above all the "manly" things i do and have done, i am without question a nerd! I love sci fi and if one person asks ill do it!!! Ill tear that 6-10 down for the science of it!!! To try and save kevins 7-10........it would be.....an........honor :rock::rock::rock:

Dont get me wrong fellas, i love hunting and fishing. I have ridden street bikes since 15. I have worked on antique tractors and built several chainsaws from a box of parts to a wood cutter. But dont tempt me for science....above all the "manly" things i do and have done, i am without question a nerd! I love sci fi and if one person asks ill do it!!! Ill tear that 6-10 down for the science of it!!! To try and save kevins 7-10........it would be.....an........honor :rock::rock::rock:

Hahahaha

Just a bit over the top speech.....i may have had a beer...or 2. However....while writing that i pictured luke skywalker, the death star exploding......captain jean luke picard defeating the borg. And buckin billy ray running his sp125 with cut off sleeves ( though hes canadian), ,MERICA BABY!!!

Just a bit over the top speech.....i may have had a beer...or 2. However....while writing that i pictured luke skywalker, the death star exploding......captain jean luke picard defeating the borg. And buckin billy ray running his sp125 with cut off sleeves ( though hes canadian), ,MERICA BABY!!!

What sort of beer? Lol I tried a pabst blue ribbon a couple hours ago found it at the supermarket but it didn't do that to me though perhaps not the required dose:)

this right here is one of the reasons I like this place. Nerd out on Macs

Had these two lined up together tonight for no particular reason so I snapped a photo lol. Now I just need a 1-51 and a 1-53 to round out this series.
507f053935e08fbb9d20d4377bea8977.jpg

Wakey wakey neighbor!
That’s a SDC carb off a running 10-10 just to diagnose the fuel problem. Something is up with the fuel pump circuit in the SDC 18 I took off it. So I’m going thru one of the SDC 44 carbs off a 700 I picked up recently. Hopefully later today I’ll get a bar on it and get it in some wood. Gotta seat those rings :)

That’s a SDC carb off a running 10-10 just to diagnose the fuel problem. Something is up with the fuel pump circuit in the SDC 18 I took off it. So I’m going thru one of the SDC 44 carbs off a 700 I picked up recently. Hopefully later today I’ll get a bar on it and get it in some wood. Gotta seat those rings :)

Honestly if the carbs are giving you trouble you need to change the check valve, which involves pulling the Welch plug and the brass insert, especially if you have used any chemicals cleaning them and its still "funky ".

Honestly if the carbs are giving you trouble you need to change the check valve, which involves pulling the Welch plug and the brass insert, especially if you have used any chemicals cleaning them and its still "funky ".
I hear you there. The previous owner said he pulled the plugs but I think he was ham handed with it. I haven’t dug into the plugs yet because I wanted to swap to the long jet carb with the boot anyways. Easier access to the jets for tuning and it plugs the hole on the side of the tank lol.

BTW, thanks to everyone for their contributions. Anyone have some 6-10 cylinder pics handy?
So, good morning everyone..i have taken the 6-10 down as far as i need to. It is cast iron sleeved. It is 3 finger ported and the piston in question is thick ringed and it is not open like that of the newer piston it is the older "windowed or holed" piston. I can see the skirting all the way around it. Sooo.....kevin may indeed need the old style piston. 20200208_113053.jpg20200208_113042.jpg

LOL

So there is no opening at all on the transfer side of the piston? I would have expected what I've been referring to as the 'Port Hole' style piston with the skirt all the way around, but still open below the pin bosses as in the one on the right. If it is completely non-windowed that brings yet another variable into the mix and may explain the earlier 69412 piston / 87166 rings. Either way, we would certainly seem to have identified the 214690 cylinder assembly (as shown in the p and c ringset tables) as a three finger transfer variant, though individual IPLs show different p and c part numbers for different model number runs.

More coffee and more cross-reffing required...

70cc Pistons.jpg

Latest posts

Back