McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been working on getting a few more saws cleaned up before moving them over to the museum. I showed the 35 Bow cleaned up, and the 39 before cleaning on page 1744. I'll have to get some photos of the 39 cleaned up, doesn't look too bad.

Today I finished up this Super 33. Most of the Super 33 saws have a "full wrap" handle but this one is the "half wrap". I need to find one of the yellow goose logo medallions to finish this one off. Compared to how it looked before cleaning, this one is a lot better, believe it or not.

20200208_110714.jpg

20200208_110759.jpg

There is a real purpose for the extra grip on the handle, it make using the manual oiler slightly more convenient.

20200208_105123.jpg

Mark

I have been working on getting a few more saws cleaned up before moving them over to the museum. I showed the 35 Bow cleaned up, and the 39 before cleaning on page 1744. I'll have to get some photos of the 39 cleaned up, doesn't look too bad.

Today I finished up this Super 33. Most of the Super 33 saws have a "full wrap" handle but this one is the "half wrap". I need to find one of the yellow goose logo medallions to finish this one off. Compared to how it looked before cleaning, this one is a lot better, believe it or not.

View attachment 796496

View attachment 796497

There is a real purpose for the extra grip on the handle, it make using the manual oiler slightly more convenient.

View attachment 796498

Mark
I bet that muffler heats up the oil reservoir after awhile .

North East Tennessee Saturday MAC Report

*** UPDATE FROM THE LAB ***

DID WE GO OVER THE TOP?

The Deere project and other things have kept me out of the chainsaw lab for over a year. Thought this afternoon would be a good time to refresh my memory on what is what down there. An overdrawn nap almost kept me out, but I was able to sneak in a few minutes to go through some of the yellow and black totes. I, of course, was drawn to the lab's most top secret project. Few more parts to gather, a ton of cleaning and a technical issue to resolve before assembly can begin. Nonetheless, there was nothing standing in the way of a little compression test. First short run results were such that I asked Brian's help in calibrating the gauge. With that squared away, I recorded this result before I quit cranking for fear I would break something.

IMG_4997.JPG

Did we go over the top? The proof will be in the pudding.

Ron

This valuable report is provided through the the generous support of MacNuts like you and Blind Squirrel Falling, one of America's greatest imaginary businesses

North East Tennessee Saturday MAC Report

*** UPDATE FROM THE LAB ***

DID WE GO OVER THE TOP?

The Deere project and other things have kept me out of the chainsaw lab for over a year. Thought this afternoon would be a good time to refresh my memory on what is what down there. An overdrawn nap almost kept me out, but I was able to sneak in a few minutes to go through some of the yellow and black totes. I, of course, was drawn to the lab's most top secret project. Few more parts to gather, a ton of cleaning and a technical issue to resolve before assembly can begin. Nonetheless, there was nothing standing in the way of a little compression test. First short run results were such that I asked Brian's help in calibrating the gauge. With that squared away, I recorded this result before I quit cranking for fear I would break something.

View attachment 796732

Did we go over the top? The proof will be in the pudding.

Ron

This valuable report is provided through the the generous support of MacNuts like you and Blind Squirrel Falling, one of America's greatest imaginary businesses

What you got going on there Ron?

Jethro,

Top Secret. Only two besides myself know though there are enough hints out there for someone to get close. It will either be great or a colossal failure. In compliance with the agreement reached between marketing and research, the only information I am permitted to give at this time is: It is a work saw inspired by RandyMac. Unfortunately without custom built parts (as opposed to modified parts), the saw will fall short of the inspiration and probably without further refinement will lack the desired durability.

Ed,

You probably haven't as most peoples' arms would give out first. I used my Makita gear reduction 1/2" to spin it up. First time I have seen that drill show any fear.

Ron

The obligatory fine print: This project has neither been approved or authorized by RandyMac. Any reference to RandyMac is simply a statement of credit that this project was inspired by a description offered by RandyMac of a possible advance in the ten series. A less than stellar success or a failure of this project should not be taken in any way as a negative reflection on such advance nor on the genius of Robert Paxton McCulloch.

You may find it necessary to use high octane fuel in that one or risk some serious pre-ignition, particularly under load conditions. You will likely find it needs one of the larger SDC or Zama C2 carburetors to make sure it can breathe properly.

Mark

P.S. Time and old age can confuse things, but I believe I am in the loop...

I think with that kind of compression you will need somewhere around 100 octane. I don't know of a chainsaw carb that can provide the CFM's that, that thing will need. As Mark stated, it will have to be a big bore carb. Next project will have to be a stroker kit. Lengthen that stroke about 4 or 5 mm to give it some torque. May have to put a larger fan on it to keep it cool. maybe need to open the ports up a little and change the exhaust port timing.

Brian

I think with that kind of compression you will need somewhere around 100 octane. I don't know of a chainsaw carb that can provide the CFM's that, that thing will need. As Mark stated, it will have to be a big bore carb. Next project will have to be a stroker kit. Lengthen that stroke about 4 or 5 mm to give it some torque. May have to put a larger fan on it to keep it cool. maybe need to open the ports up a little and change the exhaust port timing.

Brian
Tillotson ht. But its big.

Could be - if you found me the right piston. But alas, it is not.

Need the compression number for 92 fuel 32/1 mix. I have seen posts of smaller cc saws at 240#. But I have seen lots of crazy posts on lots of subjects.

Ron

That's crazy compression. So what piston have you got in there? Did you have something made? Or weld a pop up on it?

Questions questions to many questions.

So far I can see an Qport 82cc cylinder with compression bending the needle on the stopper at zero so what ever you have created will be 1 heck of a beast and deserves some nice race fuel to keep it from knocking itself to death. If the starter holds on long enough lol. Could put a hole in the side and start it with a drill

So i just got off the blower with bob johnson. And asked him Several questions about the 70cc saws. He responded with "ive never split hairs like that to really know the answer"... lol. He makes me laugh. So i also asked the differences in the 85240 piston and 69412 piston. He didnt know but he said he has both. I asked prices and he said $25.00 each. They both have bearings and rings. Of course likely $30.00 with shipping. So if kevin would want to try the 85240 piston it would cost $25 bucks plus shipping and bob has them. Much more reasonable than $77.00 from ebay. He actually had both in his hand for me and said he could not see any differences. He also had the thick rings separate for 12.00 dollars. I hope that may help you kevin or anyone in the future for that piston.
He made the statement that thick or thin ring should make no difference. Thin is supposed to be less friction and faster...but i doubt any piece of firewood could notice the difference... lol.
Funny man. He turns 80 this week.

Back