McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So i just got off the blower with bob johnson. And asked him Several questions about the 70cc saws. He responded with "ive never split hairs like that to really know the answer"... lol. He makes me laugh. So i also asked the differences in the 85240 piston and 69412 piston. He didnt know but he said he has both. I asked prices and he said $25.00 each. They both have bearings and rings. Of course likely $30.00 with shipping. So if kevin would want to try the 85240 piston it would cost $25 bucks plus shipping and bob has them. Much more reasonable than $77.00 from ebay. He actually had both in his hand for me and said he could not see any differences. He also had the thick rings separate for 12.00 dollars. I hope that may help you kevin or anyone in the future for that piston.
He made the statement that thick or thin ring should make no difference. Thin is supposed to be less friction and faster...but i doubt any piece of firewood could notice the difference... lol.
Funny man. He turns 80 this week.

Wouldn't it be cool to give that man a few beverages and get him started. A man from a different time.

So he recons no difference. Does this mean the numbers game again?

Did he understand about the skirt difference? They look very different together.

Lol the blower

Points for now but they are broken and i have a chip. So it will be electronic. Im making a rear shroud now. My buddy sent me a pm700 rear shroud and the top part is just rivited to it. Ive got it trimmed up and drilled. Just gotta put rivets in it. After dinner. Itll be good as new. Ill just be awaiting the new engine parts. Bobs waay behind he said.

Points for now but they are broken and i have a chip. So it will be electronic. Im making a rear shroud now. My buddy sent me a pm700 rear shroud and the top part is just rivited to it. Ive got it trimmed up and drilled. Just gotta put rivets in it. After dinner. Itll be good as new. Ill just be awaiting the new engine parts. Bobs waay behind he said.

Ahh right was wondering with the 700 style transfer if it had moved to electronic I thought it might have gone hand in hand when the coil mounts were changed but obviously not.

Nope, its a points set up.
Im curious too bout that piston , transfer, combinations. I almost ordered one from bob just to see. But it would just sit on a shelf for a long time.

I can't believe how cheap he has those pistons.

What style piston does the 10-10S have I wonder? Reason I ask is i had thoughts of grinding out the transfers on a 54cc to look like the S but then I might need the piston to suit it and as far as I'm aware the 54s all used the same full skirt piston unless ofcourse the 57 still has a full skirt piston

.Screenshot_20200211-102848_Samsung Internet.jpg

The evidence of that port and piston skirt is stacking up. Blows my dreams of 54cc fun though or... I could have it bored though hmmm last mower block I got bored was 100 nz.

Righto what's the go with the 60cc?

You could just chuck an S cylinder in it 2 broke mine keeps up with the 70ccs no problem can't lean on it the same but still though is no slower with a sharp chain in 16 inch wood

The thirty five dollar PM 700 showed up today. First thing I did was pull the muffler, and from the look of the lock tabs and bolts nobody has been into it. I was optimistic at that point.
AAD72ECC-AFA4-48FB-838B-08C36575B57E.jpeg

Then I found this.
D654D196-3FDD-40BD-BAAE-9EF65F9AA67F.jpeg

I am still optimistic though, because it looks like all I have to do is get on the blower with Bob for a piston and rings.

I talked to Bob about the same pistons right after you called him, Vinny. Boy was he confused. LOL Thought we were playing games with him until I explained the saga.

I called M&D, too. Same price, but quite a long lead time there.

Been talking to Kevin about maybe working something out to relieve him of the 7-10 from hell and exploring the piston options myself just in case.

The thirty five dollar PM 700 showed up today. First thing I did was pull the muffler, and from the look of the lock tabs and bolts nobody has been into it. I was optimistic at that point.
View attachment 797045

Then I found this.
View attachment 797047

I am still optimistic though, because it looks like all I have to do is get on the blower with Bob for a piston and rings.

I fear the cylinders well being too. In saying that some are toasted real easy others have a mess of a piston pulled out and cylinder survived. You're going to know in about 10 mins lol

I fear the cylinders well being too. In saying that some are toasted real easy others have a mess of a piston pulled out and cylinder survived. You're going to know in about 10 mins lol
Lol! I know enough already to just set it aside for now. Bench is clean and I have my eye on that lime green cajun saw. Can’t be getting distracted now ;)

I talked to Bob about the same pistons right after you called him, Vinny. Boy was he confused. LOL Thought we were playing games with him until I explained the saga.

Been talking to Kevin about maybe working something out to relieve him of the 7-10 from hell and exploring the piston options myself.

I forgot your still 7-10less. Could swap him a spare 700 lol

View attachment 797045

Then I found this.
View attachment 797047

Lmao, blower!!!

Been talking to Kevin about maybe working something out to relieve him of the 7-10 from hell and exploring the piston options myself just in case.
Thats funny, poor guy.

View attachment 797045

Then I found this.
View attachment 797047

Even if the cylinder is toast that's a win considering the price of parts individually.
Yeah I've got a cajun waiting on seals.

Latest posts

Back