McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I went ahead and ordered a new check valve...... hopefully I am getting the whole assembly. It is an OE Walbro part.
I am going to tear the carb back down if i have time tonight and remove the large welch plug and inspect the check valve.

I will see about something for the fuel line. Not sure just yet.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

For the fuel line I'm yet to try it but I feel like a big rubber hose in the "firewall" with some standard line through that and that same bigger hose on the carb barb with the small hose pushed inside it.

I had a line that broke the barb end off so I cut the rest of the ribbed bits off and stuffed it inside some bigger rubber line "milk pulsation hose" and it doesn't leak at all

The Grommets I bought for the standard fuel line tank pass through were these ones. They are nitrile (Buna N) and are available from Grainger in the US and Acklands Grainger in Canada.

If you use Tygon you will have to gently heat the line to soften it up the get it over the carb barb.

Canada https://www.grainger.ca/product/p/WWG3MRH4 $7.02 for 50 pcs

USA https://www.grainger.com/product/GR...met-3MRH4?searchBar=true&searchQuery=WWG3MRH4 $6.15 for 50 pcs

They also worked in my CP125.

Jethro, I shipped 50 to a gent in Australia named Peter Hellak. MAC collector.

I've had a bit of good fortune the past week.I went to my local saw shop & bought 46 saws,only 6 were Macs,the rest were Homies.But of those 6 Macs I ended up with a DE80 that I think fell off a truck going about 50 mph.The rear handle was broken & so was the full wrap handle up front.The recoil needs a few screws & the chain brake/clutch cover is missing.The good news is that it looked like it hadn't cut more than 10 cord of wood.The air box was as clean as a whistle & the fuel line looks like new.Mark H.was kind enough to sell me another DE80 that he found in his attic at a very good price.(Thanks Mark!)
The other saw that I was surprised to find out what I had was a Super 6-10A.At first I thought it was a 2-10,but thought it to be quite heavy for a 2-10.I found the tag in the air box with the model # & came in the house to look it up.That when I found out I had a Super 6-10A.The only things missing on it were the air filter cover & air filter & the muffler was broke off at the duct.I got a nice used AF & cover on Feebay,& I'm getting a muffler for it from Bob J.I put a new fuel filter in it & fuel in the tank & a couple of pulls later it was running.It definitely needs crank seals,I can't tune it for squat.The switch doesn't work either.At first it didn't have any spark,but after cleaning the switch it got spark back.I found out the switch was the culprit by disconnecting the wire from the coil.I think I'm more excited about these 2 saws than the other 40 Homies I got.Lol I'll get some pics here as things develop.
Ed

Are guys doing anything to seal welch plugs these days? Or just putting them in dry?

I've had a bit of good fortune the past week.I went to my local saw shop & bought 46 saws,only 6 were Macs,the rest were Homies.But of those 6 Macs I ended up with a DE80 that I think fell off a truck going about 50 mph.The rear handle was broken & so was the full wrap handle up front.The recoil needs a few screws & the chain brake/clutch cover is missing.The good news is that it looked like it hadn't cut more than 10 cord of wood.The air box was as clean as a whistle & the fuel line looks like new.Mark H.was kind enough to sell me another DE80 that he found in his attic at a very good price.(Thanks Mark!)
The other saw that I was surprised to find out what I had was a Super 6-10A.At first I thought it was a 2-10,but thought it to be quite heavy for a 2-10.I found the tag in the air box with the model # & came in the house to look it up.That when I found out I had a Super 6-10A.The only things missing on it were the air filter cover & air filter & the muffler was broke off at the duct.I got a nice used AF & cover on Feebay,& I'm getting a muffler for it from Bob J.I put a new fuel filter in it & fuel in the tank & a couple of pulls later it was running.It definitely needs crank seals,I can't tune it for squat.The switch doesn't work either.At first it didn't have any spark,but after cleaning the switch it got spark back.I found out the switch was the culprit by disconnecting the wire from the coil.I think I'm more excited about these 2 saws than the other 40 Homies I got.Lol I'll get some pics here as things develop.
Ed

Well done Ed:) man you must have 1000s of saws by now.

Are guys doing anything to seal welch plugs these days? Or just putting them in dry?

I've kitted 3 or SDCs now and banged them all in dry and good as gold so far

Jethro,I'm not at 1000 saws yet,only about 250 from my guesstimation.I think I've got enough work to last me till I'm 80.(I'll be 62 in June) I wish I could sell some runners,but all I ever hear is "you can't get parts for those saws anymore,they've been out of business for too long".I have a great comeback though.I tell them it's awful funny that I can find the parts.Shuts 'em up every time.Lol
Ed

Jethro,I'm not at 1000 saws yet,only about 250 from my guesstimation.I think I've got enough work to last me till I'm 80.(I'll be 62 in June) I wish I could sell some runners,but all I ever hear is "you can't get parts for those saws anymore,they've been out of business for too long".I have a great comeback though.I tell them it's awful funny that I can find the parts.Shuts 'em up every time.Lol
Ed

Thats a mother load of saws! I can't wait to see finished macs and I'll look for the red and blue ones on the other thead.
That is alot of work though, but what fun would it be to buy 46 perfectly running saws? Sounds like your living right,nice job sir.

As far as the rings go, only the cast or thick rings have the dimple. and only the ones that are designated to run in chrome bores.

Is there any reason they couldn't also be run in iron sleeve cylinders if installed in the same orientation as in a chrome bore application?

the thin rings are steel and can be used in either chrome or iron bores. and orientation does not matter.

I'm wondering about this a little since the rings on the NOS 85239 piston that came out of this 7-10 were also supposed to have been new. Kevin stated specifically that they required more than a bit of compression to sneak into the bore even with the assistance of the taper at the bottom of the cylinder. This is how bad they were when I pulled the engine apart. Gotta wonder if the thin steel 89732 rings should maybe be relegated to the chrome bore only and otherwise wear excessively fast in the iron lined cylinders? And yes, the rings are still on the piston in the vid...

Is there any reason they couldn't also be run in iron sleeve cylinders if installed in the same orientation as in a chrome bore application?

I'm wondering about this a little since the rings on the NOS 85239 piston that came out of this 7-10 were also supposed to have been new. Kevin stated specifically that they required more than a bit of compression to sneak into the bore even with the assistance of the taper at the bottom of the cylinder. This is how bad they were when I pulled the engine apart. Gotta wonder if the thin steel 89732 rings should maybe be relegated to the chrome bore only and otherwise wear excessively fast in the iron lined cylinders? And yes, the rings are still on the piston in the vid...

Wow. It's like it's done 30 years

Latest posts

Back