McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve had probably a dozen 70cc 10 series. The 6-10, 7-10, SP70, 4300 etc. but why use one of those when I could use a 20 inch bar on a 82cc? I even had the gear reduction 10-series. I kept it in hopes of one day making a gear drive 82cc.

No disrespect to those chainsaws at all but the weight is not much different and the comfort of the super pro makes me grab those more often so I got rid of all of the chainsaws I wasn’t using.

I hate to admit this but one chainsaw that I grab probably the most for little things is the Kobalt 80v. I took the 18 inch bar off and replaced it with a 14 and it is a fantastic little chainsaw.

I’ve had probably a dozen 70cc 10 series. The 6-10, 7-10, SP70, 4300 etc. but why use one of those when I could use a 20 inch bar on a 82cc? I even had the gear reduction 10-series. I kept it in hopes of one day making a gear drive 82cc.

No disrespect to those chainsaws at all but the weight is not much different and the comfort of the super pro makes me grab those more often so I got rid of all of the chainsaws I wasn’t using.

I hate to admit this but one chainsaw that I grab probably the most for little things is the Kobalt 80v. I took the 18 inch bar off and replaced it with a 14 and it is a fantastic little chainsaw.
Battery technology is unbelievable compared to what I grew up with and thats a very safe option for most people I'll actually recommend them for people who are spooked by the gas powered version, not that I'm implying you are obviously, but some A-hole is gonna eventually try and cut a 60" red down with it! ....I just hope they video it.

It's the maneuverability in messy trees and the bar control that attracts me Screenshot_20200402-104019_Gallery.jpg
This is a 5 foot tree and when it's on the ground the limbs are crazy the big 800 is just too big to fat an clumsy in that stuff a 81 would be nicer though.

I actually climbed all that with the 7-10 lol each limb is a tree by itself

Maint sup I agree 1 saw the pm60 would probably do it. Its hard to imagine sticking to 1 saw but many do

Battery technology is unbelievable compared to what I grew up with and thats a very safe option for most people I'll actually recommend them for people who are spooked by the gas powered version, not that I'm implying you are obviously, but some A-hole is gonna eventually try and cut a 60" red down with it! ....I just hope they video it.

In my opinion it was not strong enough for the 18 inch bar. But for 14 inch and under it is very handy.

It's the maneuverability in messy trees and the bar control that attracts me View attachment 813371
This is a 5 foot tree and when it's on the ground the limbs are crazy the big 800 is just too big to fat an clumsy in that stuff a 81 would be nicer though.

I actually climbed all that with the 7-10 lol each limb is a tree by itself

Maint sup I agree 1 saw the pm60 would probably do it. Its hard to imagine sticking to 1 saw but many do

I remember back when you were sharing the first pictures of those trees, they are quite impressive. I had several that require me to use the bigger chainsaws but now the long bar is mainly for a Milling. I agree with you on the maneuverability, I would never use the 800 and later 82cc 10 series chainsaws except that I just want to keep them in the rotation. They just seem too awkward and heavy.

I would consider trading off some of my Pm800/805, DE80, 8200 for the older versions.

They are just that much better IMO

bedcda44bba58d04021616b497e9fa98.jpg

5df96e2573d67352551b7e0970cbfbbd.jpg

That’s probably my two favorite. I have them set up differently, One with a seven tooth sprocket and one with an eight tooth sprocket

06f859572dda23fcde935bfd582fd5a1.jpg

That one with a 24”/7 tooth/ 3/8 combo

Some have 404 semi chisel and 7 tooth for dirty wood. I tried to set them up for just about any occasion so I don’t have to start swapping stuff around.

It’s just tough times for you collectors right now for sure.

I just don’t ever want to sell any of them because I know what the prices are doing and I don’t wanna have to spend the money for a new saw. With what I’ve got I shouldn’t have to ever buy a brand new saw or my children shouldn’t have to either.

I’m also afraid that four strokes are going to take over in a number of years and our beloved two-stroke motors will become even more valuable.

Plus we still heat our home with two fireplaces and there always seems to be trees to cut on 80 acres.

But with that said, I would still consider getting rid of the later models even though I don’t think somebody would ever consider trading an older one for a later one.

65a2eb1ae6e2b29eca54aa7bbc609f27.jpg

I must agree with joey, the 82cc sp81 is an awesome combination of a chainsaw. Not very heavy, easy to handle, can use a shorter bar and handle the longer bars. They run like crazy too when tuned properly. My first sp81 is still my go to saw. However, i have a contender.....i used today 2 70cc saws. My fresh sp70 that did fantastic. Put a tank thru it. It performed great and being antivibe was comfortable. And i put a tank thru my project sp71. Wow did it cut great. I was cutting down a large multi trunked plum tree at my dads. That antivibe 7-10 was a dream to operate. Strong running. Id put money on it over the fresh sp70. It cut stronger in my opinion than the sp70. I was blown away by it. It is not a 82cc saw but wow did it cut great. On smaller stuff id pick it up any day. Bigger stuff sp81 all day. Jethro, you got to get a good one when you find one. I know you want one and im not trying to rub it in but those things are great and for anyone wanting a project, i encourage a sp7-10. Fun day in west virginia!!

Thank you thank you I'm a very humble believer and so glad you shared your story with the rest of us. Very nice saws and some great stories about them. It just doesn't get much better than that.

You’re with a great bunch of guys here I would soak up every bit of information they can give you.

Thank you for the kind words.

Dam it you guy's lol. I'll get me 1 of those 1 day. Love my 850 too but it's not exactly any lighter than the 800.

Joey have you ever put a old style muffler on a qport? My 800 is really right there with the 850 perhaps the 850 pulls the 32 better it does seem to hold on to low end better but man that 800 became an angry dragon with that on. Might replicate the muffler cover I made up too. Haha muffler lol it's not muffling anything.

The SP80/81 is around in numbers down here just no bugger wants to sell them for obvious reasons

I would consider trading off some of my Pm800/805, DE80, 8200 for the older versions.

They are just that much better IMO

bedcda44bba58d04021616b497e9fa98.jpg

5df96e2573d67352551b7e0970cbfbbd.jpg

That’s probably my two favorite. I have them set up differently, One with a seven tooth sprocket and one with an eight tooth sprocket

06f859572dda23fcde935bfd582fd5a1.jpg

That one with a 24”/7 tooth/ 3/8 combo

Some have 404 semi chisel and 7 tooth for dirty wood. I tried to set them up for just about any occasion so I don’t have to start swapping stuff around.

Haha I set my PM700s up the same way 24" skip 7 pin, 24" 404 semi chisel , and the new one "see creampuff" 20" full comp.
Honestly I have been looking for an 80cc also , I can get a brand new 805 engine in the box from my local saw dealer but I can't find any reasonably priced smoked ones!
But I've been messing with Homelites, Stihls,Huskies,4200 poulan and I just bought a SL7A Remington 95cc off a member on here so plenty to keep me busy. That ich is strong though gonna have to scratch it some day.

Dam it you guy's lol. I'll get me 1 of those 1 day. Love my 850 too but it's not exactly any lighter than the 800.

Joey have you ever put a old style muffler on a qport? My 800 is really right there with the 850 perhaps the 850 pulls the 32 better it does seem to hold on to low end better but man that 800 became an angry dragon with that on. Might replicate the muffler cover I made up too. Haha muffler lol it's not muffling anything.

The SP80/81 is around in numbers down here just no bugger wants to sell them for obvious reasons

I haven’t swapped mufflers around. I’m not surprised that it picks up some power.

Haha I set my PM700s up the same way 24" skip 7 pin, 24" 404 semi chisel , and the new one "see creampuff" 20" full comp.
Honestly I have been looking for an 80cc also , I can get a brand new 805 engine in the box from my local saw dealer but I can't find any reasonably priced smoked ones!
But I've been messing with Homelites, Stihls,Huskies,4200 poulan and I just bought a SL7A Remington 95cc off a member on here so plenty to keep me busy. That ich is strong though gonna have to scratch it some day.

Go pick up that engine man you'll find an 800 or something somewhere along the line or build 1 up with bits as ya come across them

7-10 weirdness tonight...
So I definitely had some issues with the carb (sdc44); got that rebuilt and everything except the check valve was replaced. The issue now is that it won't idle with the idle screw (case mounted). I have to use the "high idle" thumb button on the side in conjunction with the screw on the bottom of the throttle trigger to set an idle, at which point it seems to idle fine and L needle adjusts appropriately. The idle screw is almost touching the carb cam when all the way in and the saw idling, but it should be racing at this point. Not sure what to make of this...
Carb adjustments seem appropriate though. Needles are about 1 turn out, which is what Walbro says they should be as a starting point. I backed out high to 1-1/2, especially for ring break in. WOT seems decent though, and the plug looks good. So not sure if there is something wrong with the carb, or the saw itself. Like maybe there's a crankcase leak? I don't have a mityvac to pressure test with, but will probably order one soon, would be good to have. Could be I borked something up when reassembling, I did see what looked like some seepage (ewww) at the crankcase halves. Maybe that thin smear of motoseal wasn't thin enough!

Side note, awesome Mac/carb application chart here:
http://www.psep.biz/store/mcculloch_application_chart.htm
Also have a weird noise while it's idling (can't hear anything when it's wide open!) - I suspect the mag bearing. Not happy about that since I just got this thing bolted together. It's hard to describe, I tried to catch it on video but I couldn't hear it in the video. Kind of like... if you held a fork lightly at the end, and dragged the end points in a circular motion around a cast iron pan? I should have just replaced it while I was there, but it felt OK at the time. Anyone got failing bearing noise analogies for me to compare to?

Pretty sure this saws name is going to be "hot mess" by the time I'm done with it. :laugh:

7-10 weirdness tonight...
So I definitely had some issues with the carb (sdc44); got that rebuilt and everything except the check valve was replaced. The issue now is that it won't idle with the idle screw (case mounted). I have to use the "high idle" thumb button on the side in conjunction with the screw on the bottom of the throttle trigger to set an idle, at which point it seems to idle fine and L needle adjusts appropriately. The idle screw is almost touching the carb cam when all the way in and the saw idling, but it should be racing at this point. Not sure what to make of this...
Carb adjustments seem appropriate though. Needles are about 1 turn out, which is what Walbro says they should be as a starting point. I backed out high to 1-1/2, especially for ring break in. WOT seems decent though, and the plug looks good. So not sure if there is something wrong with the carb, or the saw itself. Like maybe there's a crankcase leak? I don't have a mityvac to pressure test with, but will probably order one soon, would be good to have. Could be I borked something up when reassembling, I did see what looked like some seepage (ewww) at the crankcase halves. Maybe that thin smear of motoseal wasn't thin enough!

Side note, awesome Mac/carb application chart here:
http://www.psep.biz/store/mcculloch_application_chart.htm
Also have a weird noise while it's idling (can't hear anything when it's wide open!) - I suspect the mag bearing. Not happy about that since I just got this thing bolted together. It's hard to describe, I tried to catch it on video but I couldn't hear it in the video. Kind of like... if you held a fork lightly at the end, and dragged the end points in a circular motion around a cast iron pan? I should have just replaced it while I was there, but it felt OK at the time. Anyone got failing bearing noise analogies for me to compare to?

Pretty sure this saws name is going to be "hot mess" by the time I'm done with it. :laugh:

There's a couple different idle screws for tanks and carbs, the combination you have could be a mismatch.
Video or pictures help, weird noise of dragging? I've had the flywheel drag on the starter housing( tell tale scrapes on the inside of housing) and I had clutch/ drum assembly installed wrong and drag or touching the clutch cover while running.

Back