McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can finally can get some sleep And she is Sweet.
i haven’t touched her except to check the serial no.
I would think a 1975 due to the 15 prefix.
She has a chain brake, Was that added later?
He threw in a bag of pastiches in also since he knows I like nuts, Fresh from California he buys 25 pounds direct from the grower a month.
Nice they're a great saw and the chain brake is standard for most from the factory. It's good to see one in nice shape also. They're easy to work on and as reliable as a stone , that 54cc motor will suprise you.

I can finally can get some sleep And she is Sweet.
i haven’t touched her except to check the serial no.
I would think a 1975 due to the 15 prefix.
She has a chain brake, Was that added later?
He threw in a bag of pastiches in also since he knows I like nuts, Fresh from California he buys 25 pounds direct from the grower a month.
That is indeed very clean.

After wiping her down with her love juices, no cleaners.
Tomorrow she gets a Colonospocy.
After giving her a good looking over, carb was spotless inside and the pump diaphragm was still soft so I fired her up.
She runs ok per say.
The spark is weak and I am having trouble getting the low speed transition quick and crisp.
I think she needs a capicator.
what a PITA to try dial in with with that air filter setup.
Does the air filter change the low setting a lot?

North East Tennessee Saturday MAC Report

Beautiful cool day in North East Tennessee today. My wife was not thrilled that I was going out today amid the swirling Convid-19. I decided to go anyway. Brian is still tending to his shoulder.

Spend the day loading some nice size red oaks and a medium beech. Unfortunately the 800 never left its perch.
IMG_5162.JPG

Some Convid-19 rambling - but before I start, let me remind all who may be tempted - think twice before buying a tractor that spend its prior life spraying liquid fertilizer.

I have loading and unloading the Deere down to the point I probably can do it blindfolded if the ramps are in align. Literally takes me longer to load the PM800 and its gear than to load or unload the Deere. Humming through the unloading this morning, I didn't check the throttle position or the joystick. The tractor was still on the trailer from last week - throttle is always left at idle and joystick centered. Well I had forgotten that I had worked on the throttle a few days ago to get it to operate freely (corrosion in the linkage) nor did I notice that I must have bumped the joy stick in the process (which also sticks due to corrosion). Fired it up from the side as usual to lift the winch and ballast off the ramps. It cranks immediately at full throttle (where I had left it) with the loader trying to move. Still strapped in the front so loader can't go up without pulling the tractor forward. Can't go forward without smashing into my forward shield. By the time I could react the grapple was bound to the trailer between pinch points. What a mess. Further details are not important - it just took some work to get the tractor free. Could have been much worse.

Loading site was steep and had several guys and a Dingo to watch out for - not my usual situation. Grapple button wouldn't work today (corrosion I presume) so I had to use the diverter switch which means I have to let go of the joystick to click the switch on and off to change the functions from loader to grapple. This is a problem as the grapple's grip often changes as the load's geometry changes. In other words, if you don't add grapple pressure as you curl you may drop the log. Easy to run with a button on the grip and very difficult to run when it isn't. Real cumbersome and time consuming to reach back and forth from joystick to diverter switch. Dingo operator was having the same problem as apparently you cannot cramp the grapple and curl at the same time - I digress. Point here is I was off my game and efficiency suffered, but I kept things safe. Things went reasonably well until ...

We went to winch logs up the hill. I typically stand beside the tractor and work the winch. I didn't have Brian there to watch over me and the fellow helping me was unfamiliar with chokers. We had a log or two that were too large for one choker so I showed the guy how to string two together. We struggled with the weight of some of the red oaks and the soft ground. Pulling was hard and this crew was not used to seeing a tractor lift its front end off the ground so there was some distracting unnecessary arm waving and concern. So we changed tactics to pulling until the front began to lift off the ground, then release tension, move the tractor forward, pull again - rinse and repeat. However, when seated on the tractor I can't see the back side of the top of the boom from the tractor seat and I failed to tell the guy helping to watch the top of the boom to make sure I stop before the hook gets there. You guess it. One choker was about 3" too short, so he doubled up the chokers and all I saw was cable - the hook had gotten passed me. Thinking it was just another hard pull I managed to rip the boom off its lower frame. No harm or danger to the others given the way I rig the boom but an expensive repair to come.

Routine, rhythm, standard procedure and the like are usually good things, especially for efficiency and production. But they can also get you hurt or worse if your head is not in the game. Let's not let our business as usual allow this Convid-19 to infect us. Also let's not let the new game we must play lead us to let down our guards. Only 9 cases so far here (including a treating physician) but already one death.

Tractor is a tight fit - I could use a longer trailer but this is what I have.
IMG_5166.JPG

Be Safe Out There.

Ron

This valuable report is provided through the the generous support of MacNuts like you and Blind Squirrel Falling, one of America's greatest imaginary businesses.

After giving her a good looking over, carb was spotless inside and the pump diaphragm was still soft so I fired her up.
She runs ok per say.
The spark is weak and I am having trouble getting the low speed transition quick and crisp.
I think she needs a capicator.
what a PITA to try dial in with with that air filter setup.
Does the air filter change the low setting a lot?

Could probably need points or clean the contact surface up ,I've found that a saw usually won't run at all with a bad condenser, but they'll run some what with dirty points or an arcing plug lead , an XL-12 bit me pretty good yesterday.
Air cleaner has richened up the mix for me.

Could probably need points or clean the contact surface up ,I've found that a saw usually won't run at all with a bad condenser, but they'll run some what with dirty points or an arcing plug lead , an XL-12 bit me pretty good yesterday.
Air cleaner has richened up the mix for me.
I checked the points and hit them with a file once and gapped at 19 while I had her torn down they are in good condition.

Special Supplement to North East Tennessee Saturday MAC Report

Though the 800 saw no action today, I did use a well kept off brand MS461. I was surprised by the vibrations with an AV saw. Not as bad as my 700 but bad enough that I would think twice before buying one. It had no problem with a buried 25" bar. I didn't run it enough to say how it measures power wise with an 800, but the 800 is way smoother. I did note however that it sounds like it is spinning a lot faster - so much so I found that occasionally I was not giving it full throttle.

Ron

Came across this video by chance. An old First Aid video featuring an SP125. Pretty neat.

Wow that's crazy! I was watching a show (history channel?) about a logger that had a sizeable saw kick back on him and cut up his leg because the nose hit something on the other side of his cut. I don't think I'll ever forget him saying that it's incredibly difficult to stitch up a wound like that because the chain just turns you into hamburger. Paraphrasing, but hamburger was definitely a word that was used... Ever since I watched that I've been more appreciative of chain brakes!

Back