McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The bookmark feature is at the top of the post just to the left of the post number.
Thank you. I actually discovered that shortly after the change and had completely forgotten about it already! Kept expecting it to magically re-appear next to the Report function if I bitched about it enough. LOL

What's your compression target?
Short answer - less than I have.

Long answer - I don’t know yet. An uneducated guess would be 205 or so. I was just wagging it and now wish I had coated the piston after checking the compression. Now I have to choose between opening up the combustion chamber or taking the coating off my pop up.
Any input in what psi I should be going for for a hot work saw (as in it can burn a full tank straight without fear of hurting it). Let it cool and start again. That won’t be much cutting but enough to fall a large tree or make a couple of buck cuts.

Ron

I ran the SP81 some more today noodling some bigger rounds and bucking, along with the PM700. Both saws performed great. I think I had the 81 a tad too lean. I pitched it up a bit and it seemed to really come alive. I had the 28 inch bar buried a few times and it would just pull right through. The day ended a bit early when I hit metal in the wood with both saws. Oh well, they are all filed now. Nothing quite like a freshly filed chain.20200517_124704.jpg20200517_124652.jpg20200517_165044.jpg20200517_210029.jpg20200517_205414.jpg20200517_210042.jpg20200517_124645.jpg

I ran the SP81 some more today noodling some bigger rounds and bucking, along with the PM700. Both saws performed great. I think I had the 81 a tad too lean. I pitched it up a bit and it seemed to really come alive. I had the 28 inch bar buried a few times and it would just pull right through. The day ended a bit early when I hit metal in the wood with both saws. Oh well, they are all filed now. Nothing quite like a freshly filed chain.View attachment 828489View attachment 828490View attachment 828491View attachment 828492View attachment 828493View attachment 828494View attachment 828495

That's a good looking chain. Did you persist with the grinder?

What's your thoughts on the 81 grunt now?

Hows that 700 compare to the old 5-10? Was it 5-10 or 4-10?

I didn't use any glue I drilled out the rivets and made some out of brass rod and used my fixture to put it back together. I used a hot paper clip to melt the holes. What ever you need for info or help I available just ask. Same for all. I can fix your old ones if needed.View attachment 828482
Looks nice! I'll have to do that to my 73 once I get the time. The recoil needs a little help, the piston needs to be freed up (again), and the carb is shot, much like yours was. Since this pic was taken the saw's lost a pound or two of grease and rust and the Flying Goose logo was permanently attached, but it still needs a lot of help before it'll run.
Eo1GglfnSRSxhmHg4Gb3Ig_thumb_132bf.jpg

I ran the SP81 some more today noodling some bigger rounds and bucking, along with the PM700. Both saws performed great. I think I had the 81 a tad too lean. I pitched it up a bit and it seemed to really come alive. I had the 28 inch bar buried a few times and it would just pull right through. The day ended a bit early when I hit metal in the wood with both saws. Oh well, they are all filed now. Nothing quite like a freshly filed chain.View attachment 828489View attachment 828490View attachment 828491View attachment 828492View attachment 828493View attachment 828494View attachment 828495
20200515_082329.jpg
Be careful with that chain its been known to have some issues. 20200515_082332.jpg

That's a good looking chain. Did you persist with the grinder?

What's your thoughts on the 81 grunt now?

Hows that 700 compare to the old 5-10? Was it 5-10 or 4-10?
The 81 definitely has plenty of grunt in big stuff. It really needs that 28 buried to show true colors.
Havent run the 700 and the 5-10 enought side by side to compare really, I have a 6-10 also that I havent ran much.
I did get the grinder down, still prefer to hand file for my own stuff.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I got a double over time sert installed in my spare cylinder, I need to take a die grinder and grind the insert a little inside the cylinder. It was a little too long but is the shortest they make.
I have almost enough parts to build a second complete SP81
a3323da6baf4e6fe62afdd2b2fb90b75.jpg

I got a double over time sert installed in my spare cylinder, I need to take a die grinder and grind the insert a little inside the cylinder. It was a little too long but is the shortest they make.
I have almost enough parts to build a second complete SP81
a3323da6baf4e6fe62afdd2b2fb90b75.jpg

Now thats fun to do!! Ive built 2 81s this year out of parts. And a 10-10 and a sp7-10. Lots of fun. Keeps the mind clear from lifes issues. :cold:

Nice pics, Kevin. Nice pile o' test logs, too. I have that same splitter, only about 30 or so years older with the iron cylinder Briggs 8 horse. Starts right up every time. Never fails me. That's some good looking filing, btw. BBR would be impressed. LOL

Glad you got the saws running better. That SP81 may become your new favorite saw. Finally pulled mine back off the shelf over the weekend and got it dialed in pretty good, too. My last points adjustment was the main ticket. Just needed some tuning to get it the rest of the way. Messed with the 7-10 a little more along with my favorite 10-10. The 7-10 is almost there. (I don't regret taking that plunge for one second!) The 10-10 is loading up at idle even with a new kit and needs some investigation. All chains are fresh grind and ready to go. Unfortunately, rain has kept me from what's left of my little log pile from last season and it's raining again today. Frustrating after finally having a little time to gear up for some McFun after mostly just staring at 'em on the shelf all winter.

And I need a new log pile like yours!

Nice pics, Kevin. Nice pile o' test logs, too. I have that same splitter, only about 30 or so years older with the iron cylinder Briggs 8 horse. Starts right up every time. Never fails me. That's some good looking filing, btw. BBR would be impressed. LOL

Glad you got the saws running better. That SP81 may become your new favorite saw. Finally pulled mine back off the shelf over the weekend and got it dialed in pretty good, too. My last points adjustment was the main ticket. Just needed some tuning to get it the rest of the way. Messed with the 7-10 a little more along with my favorite 10-10. The 7-10 is almost there. (I don't regret taking that plunge for one second!) The 10-10 is loading up at idle even with a new kit and needs some investigation. All chains are fresh grind and ready to go. Unfortunately, rain has kept me from what's left of my little log pile from last season and it's raining again today. Frustrating after finally having a little time to gear up for some McFun after mostly just staring at 'em on the shelf all winter.

And I need a new log pile like yours!
It helps to have a friend with a tree service lol.

Latest posts

Back