McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bob is telephone only. He used to just do credit cards on carbon paper. This year he got a card machine. Ive got several carbon copy credit card receipts from his shop until this year. It seems funny but the guy is 80 years old and successful at what hes doing. Hard to argue that.

Bob is definitely old school.I enjoy talking with him every time I call.He's got some great stories if you've got the time to listen.I've been taking the 4-4.1/2 hr.trip to visit him every summer.I asked him last yr.when I was there if he ever thought about retiring.He told me"I'll be here till they carry me out ten toes up".Lol

I spoke with Bob for the first time today. Though it was a small part that he didn't have, he tried to source it elsewhere for me. They didn't have it either, but he was good to talk with for a bit and went out of his way trying to help me. I thanked him for myself and for all you guys he has helped. His laugh told me that we are welcome.

Now I need your help as I am back in the Lab and need to source some wrist pin bearings for a 8200 (MAC 224971). The only one I have has no marking. I measure it at 13 x 16.75 x 17.25 does this translate to 13 x 17 x17.5 which is a Husky bearing? They are pretty cheap so I could order some and stand them side by side but thought I would ask here first.

Ron

.25 would seem pretty substantial in the O.D. tolerance. Maybe not so much in the length depending on the already available clearance for the circlips. May as well see how the Husky bearing fits and go from there. May end up being perfect.

Any special reason to get more than one?

Bob called me looking for input on the bearing, I told him it must be Ron Woods that was looking.

I think your best bet is to take the bearing, wrist pin, and piston to a competent bearing shop and have them match it with something.

Bob does keep his inventory on computer, but I think it is just a Word document that his sweet heart has to update weekly for him.

Mark

Thanks, Gentlemen.

I measured the O.D. with the pin inserted. I need two in order to have a spare. IPL lists it as a "fast to medium moving part" so I thought a spare or two would be nice.

Bob didn't disclose the identity of his other source. I thought it was great he would volunteer to check for such a small potential purchase.

Ron

I measured the O.D. with the pin inserted. I need two in order to have a spare. IPL lists it as a "fast to medium moving part" so I thought a spare or two would be nice.
O.D. tolerance is obviously super critical for the stresses being applied.

And I hate to say it, but having a spare wrist pin bearing to replace a failed one usually won't do you much good unless you have a spare piston and cylinder to go along with it.

Intent is to have a spare of all three - since this is a second generation custom job.

First generation uses a standard one piece crank which required modification to the connecting rod and converting the piston to carry bearings. Machine shop failed to deliver on a press fit connecting rod leaving me no good way to secure the wrist pin. It is now just a rig job that might not survive the first run. I have not run it yet due to compression at 240+ psi. Once I get the compression down we will see. I may take another run at modifying another rod as I have a few coins tied up in the reworked cylinder and pistons.

First gen pistons have an issue that could have been avoided with a phone call from the machinist (different guy than the rod guy). Second gen pistons will be a different design, but It still begins with the same pre-mod piston.

Whole project may be an expensive failure and/or disappointment. But I will have a little fun finding out and reporting back.

Ron

Decided to put a new rubber gasket on the tank of the Pro Mac 60 this morning. I planned on this about 4 months ago but works been crazy.
Simple gasket was not in order when I saw a load of "white death " in the bottom of the tank , so I blew through 4 wire wheels on the dremel to get in the small corners and coated the whole thing with slow cure epoxy.
Now I have to get another fuel line.20200516_144315.jpg

Decided to put a new rubber gasket on the tank of the Pro Mac 60 this morning. I planned on this about 4 months ago but works been crazy.
Simple gasket was not in order when I saw a load of "white death " in the bottom of the tank , so I blew through 4 wire wheels on the dremel to get in the small corners and coated the whole thing with slow cure epoxy.
Now I have to get another fuel line.View attachment 828205

Is that a JB Weld epoxy or something else? I have some of the JB Weld stick that supposedly is resistant to gasoline.

Is that a JB Weld epoxy or something else? I have some of the JB Weld stick that supposedly is resistant to gasoline.
Its the 2 part jb weld , 24 hr cure time.
I've used it for leaks in fuel tanks many times and patience is the key .
I could have probably used a product like red-cote but I don't have any and I only wanted to do this once.

Latest posts

Back