McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ML12

ArboristSite Guru
Its stock, off the roll, 3/8 full chisel. Maybe I need to give the rakers a little rub.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Your carb is fully adjustable? My SP-81 has a fixed high speed and its really fat up top. In fact, the saw seems happiest with a 32" bar on it buried, otherwise it 4 strokes.

I'd also suggest finding bigger wood, my 10-10 is as fast in the small stuff, but the 81 shines in the bigger stuff.

PogoInTheWoods

PogoInTheWoods

Don't forget about the alligators...
. AS Supporting Member.
Do you guys think I am off on my tuning?
Doesn't sound right to me. It's not gonna scream up there at 14k like the little 350/346 Husky, but sounds to me like it should be turning a few more RPM's than it is, or at least turning the ones it's turning with more authority. As mentioned elsewhere, check the points for both gap and general condition and see where that takes you.

PogoInTheWoods

PogoInTheWoods

Don't forget about the alligators...
. AS Supporting Member.
After a couple more views of the video and comparing to a couple of Buckin Billy Ray's "Walkerized" SP81, it doesn't sound that far off. A tweak here and a tweak there covering all the bases from the points to the tuning to the chain may dial it in nicely with a little patience.

Like I should talk..., considering how long it's been since revisiting my own which still isn't "quite right" either!

rwoods

rwoods

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Some folks would say I am not “quite right” having a “clean clothed” job and fooling with chainsaws. But working from an office does have at least one perk - packages can be delivered undetected. Nice box destined for the chainsaw lab showed up this morning - receptionist sent me a message “I put a box labeled 2 cylinders in your office.” She has adjusted well to finding safe spots to put leaky and oil stained boxes that arrive for me.

Ron

Jethro 2t sniffer

Jethro 2t sniffer

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Place just wasn’t the same without you lol.

That’s my grinding in the shop getup, figured it fits with the times haha!

Hahaha you guys were getting on just fine.

Yes certainly does fit with the times sadly. Must be hard for people to get masks for actual reasons like grinding or welding

IHDiesel73L

IHDiesel73L

ArboristSite Operative
Yanked the clutch off of the 650 today and found that the inside of the drum was very oily-not sure how it got that way-maybe my oiler is backing up into the drum somehow? In any event I was hoping that if I cleaned both the clutch shoes and the drum with brake cleaner that it would be OK. No dice-put it all back together and had the same issues as before. Took it all back apart and put the 610 clutch and drum on the 650. The 650 drum had the removable rim sprocket whereas the 610 drum had the one piece drum and sprocket. Put it all back together (again) and it was pulling even better than before. A couple of questions:
  • Did oil contamination cause slippage, heat and premature wear to begin with? How can I stop this from happening again? Should I be looking at my oiler? I did spray down the whole assembly with brake cleaner.
  • I only ordered a new clutch which I'll end up putting on the 610, but I'm wondering if I should order a new drum also since it seems like the drum is what is worn/out of round?

Jethro 2t sniffer

Jethro 2t sniffer

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
does someone know how to make this rubber for the handle ??

View attachment 827382

does someone know how to make this rubber for the handle ??

Best I can do is rubber milk line tube but no good for a full wrap though. I'm going to try some windscreen sealant as an adhesive and if it works will do a short split underneath on the short side of the wrap. Still not going to look factory though as it will not head down the short post to the tank.

There must be a bucket full of something to dip bars in but I will expect it to be expensive.

Dunno you got me thinking now

fossil
My pm800 spun on the taper a bit. Heard a odd noise 1 day thought it was clutch slip. When I changed the rim sure enough it had spun and injured the crank a bit :( have tightened it up and used it a heap since with no issues so far but suspect it will bite me again 1 day and may need a crank or a skim on the lathe perhaps. Was thinking even grinding paste and work at it with the clutch maybe.

Everyone doing ok?

Nice 81 Kevin:)

Maint sup it was me with the hat that scored a mac. It was my hard hat n was using it at work the draughtsman saw it and yeah he had a pm10-10 in his mother in laws shed that he was sorting after hubby died. Was headed for the dump too.

Never thought of asking a clean clothed soft hand desk guy about saws but there ya go.

Dam nice 10-10 too the old boy had it new.

You have to make sure those taper fit joints have absolutely zero oil in them.

Mnmacguy

Mnmacguy

ArboristSite Member
Yanked the clutch off of the 650 today and found that the inside of the drum was very oily-not sure how it got that way-maybe my oiler is backing up into the drum somehow? In any event I was hoping that if I cleaned both the clutch shoes and the drum with brake cleaner that it would be OK. No dice-put it all back together and had the same issues as before. Took it all back apart and put the 610 clutch and drum on the 650. The 650 drum had the removable rim sprocket whereas the 610 drum had the one piece drum and sprocket. Put it all back together (again) and it was pulling even better than before. A couple of questions:
  • Did oil contamination cause slippage, heat and premature wear to begin with? How can I stop this from happening again? Should I be looking at my oiler? I did spray down the whole assembly with brake cleaner.
  • I only ordered a new clutch which I'll end up putting on the 610, but I'm wondering if I should order a new drum also since it seems like the drum is what is worn/out of round?
Yeah I could see how the oil could cause slippage and wear issues. Were you really working the manual oiler maybe? I can't figure how else the oil could get in there. If it were me I would get a new drum to match the new clutch and have your bases covered.

Sent from my SM-S367VL using Tapatalk

Maintenance supervisor

Maintenance supervisor

Every 100yrs, All new people...
. AS Supporting Member.
610 sans clutch waiting for new clutch and tune up kit:
View attachment 827451
Going to put this old 18" Mac bar on it that came off of the 650:
View attachment 827454
The washer sequence is important for proper spacing and torque of the clutch on the taper , the Oregon drum usually has a little instruction sheet with it.
Theoretically if the clutch is properly installed there's no room for oil to get between it and the shaft.
And yeah bar oil gets slung everywhere, the correct bar plates help and I like a thinner oil( cheap brand) in the old saws .
In short what washer/spacers did you have and how are your bar plates?

IHDiesel73L

IHDiesel73L

ArboristSite Operative
The washer sequence is important for proper spacing and torque of the clutch on the taper , the Oregon drum usually has a little instruction sheet with it. Theoretically if the clutch is properly installed there's no room for oil to get between it and the shaft.And yeah bar oil gets slung everywhere, the correct bar plates help and I like a thinner oil( cheap brand) in the old saws . In short what washer/spacers did you have and how are your bar plates?

The plates are intact and in good condition. There was one washer between the plate and the rim sprocket. Of course now its different because the old 610 clutch had no washer. I think as a previous poster suggested it was a combination of the fact that I was oiling a lot while milling and just working the saw really hard in general. Once I get these two set up completely with new clutches, etc...no more ripping or milling.

Latest posts