McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In short what washer/spacers did you have and how are your bar plates?
The 6oo series use one thrust washer. The 10 series use 2. Neither would interfere with the fitment of the clutch on the taper if installed correctly.

610 Clutch and Drum.png

!0 Series Clutch and Drum.jpg

The 6oo series use one thrust washer. The 10 series use 2. Neither would interfere with the fitment of the clutch on the taper if installed correctly.

Thanks for posting-that's what my 650 looked like when I took it apart. Do you have access to an exploded view of the integrated drum and sprocket washer setup?

I’ve been slapping the grease on liberally but I’m gonna buy another seal and give it a go again. I’ve done the electrical tape trick once before. I’ll definitely use it this second go around.
On the flywheel side I found I needed to turn the crank while installing the cover even with electrical tape and grease. Harder to do on the PTO side however.

Do you have access to an exploded view of the integrated drum and sprocket washer setup?

If you're referring to a spur drive clutch drum vs. the rim drive setup pictured in the illustration, I don't have an example illustration handy. The only difference will be the absence of the rim along with the splined hub of the rim drum being the drive spur instead. Everything else should go together as pictured.

Hahaha you guys were getting on just fine.

Yes certainly does fit with the times sadly. Must be hard for people to get masks for actual reasons like grinding or welding
Yeah when it all this started the N95 masks mysteriously disappeared from the shop lol.
So the company ended up buying all the grinders the masks with the filter elements like they use back in our powder coat area. So there was equipment available just a lot more $. However the average Joe walking into a hardware store was likely SOL

I got in the habit a long time ago to use a mask at work several times then just take it home instead of tossing it. That mask is probably several years old and has more grind dust on the inside than out lol.

I didn't get a chance to mess with the saw much last night but I was able to check the raker height on the chain. They are lower that the soft setting on my Husky guage...... so pretty aggressive for off the roll chain.
I will report back when I have a chance to check the points.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Just like a full circle crank shaft or a special stuffer, reduces the dead space to increase the velocity of the cooling air.

I've been trying to clean up some stuff in preparation for moving it over to the museum. Some non-saw McCulloch activity.

20200514_134032.jpg

20200514_134052.jpg

The carburetor on the Aqua Mac is designed for one speed only.

20200514_124624.jpg

20200514_124607.jpg

20200514_124616.jpg

Mark

After putting together one blower yesterday for actual use over at the museum and the one pictured above, another package arrived today. Thanks again to Maintenance supervisor for the backpack version blower.

20200514_141354.jpg

20200514_141427.jpg

20200514_141541.jpg

20200514_141550.jpg

20200514_141555.jpg

20200514_141600.jpg

20200514_141747.jpg

The blower portion is very much like the hand held units and the rest of the unit is pretty intuitive.

A good cleaning was in order.

20200514_143518.jpg

20200514_155402.jpg

20200514_155410.jpg

Mark

Looks good Mark.

I have that same generator and use it any time I need. It’s the only generator I own. It’s a pretty cheap unit with Jen Feng power head and it’s super loud but I’ve got almost 200 hours on it now. (Had to add my own hour meter). Plus I bought it used so I’m not sure how many hours total.

Do you fellas recommend any specific solvent or method to safely remove this carbon from my combustion chamber without damaging the chrome cylinder?

Attachments

• 20200509_162437_HDR.jpg
    20200509_162437_HDR.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 10
KG Products makes several different solvents that are supposed to be good on carbon fouling, Berryman's Chem Dip is also good but can take a few days soak to loosen the really baked on stuff. I normally just chuck a wire brush in the drill and work carefully. Note that the top of the combustion chamber is not plated, just the cylinder walls themselves.

DSC06667.JPG

Mark

KG Products makes several different solvents that are supposed to be good on carbon fouling, Berryman's Chem Dip is also good but can take a few days soak to loosen the really baked on stuff. I normally just chuck a wire brush in the drill and work carefully. Note that the top of the combustion chamber is not plated, just the cylinder walls themselves.

View attachment 827860

Mark

Thanks Mark!

If that method works for you I'll see if I have something i could put in my drill. Then I'll just rinse it out with some Brakleen.
I'm close to reassembling the SP40, it looks like I need a second set of feeler gauges to set the clearances on the crank bearings. Did you see my picture of the broken main cap bolt? That's why the bearings felt loose! The flywheel side bearing actually drifted outward a little and let the crank counter weight rub slightly on the case. I just had to deburr a sharp raised edge where the bearing seats on the case, all looks good to be assembled.

Attachments

• 20200508_120918_HDR.jpg
    20200508_120918_HDR.jpg
    6 MB · Views: 11
Do you fellas recommend any specific solvent or method to safely remove this carbon from my combustion chamber without damaging the chrome cylinder?

scotch-brite pad - I've used the green and it knocks it off surprisingly fast and doesn't really do anything to the chrome. Try to find something you can wrap the pad around and stuff down there and use with a drill at low speed, but I've done it by hand too with fair success. Just did that on an Echo backpack blower cylinder.

If you have an old Mothers Powerball Mini they work great to wrap a scotch-brite pad around if you can stuff it in the cylinder. Did that with a 7-10 cylinder, but there's no way it was gonna fit in a 50cc backpack blower jug hehe

Seafoam should loosen it if you let it sit, but I've never tried.

scotch-brite pad - I've used the green and it knocks it off surprisingly fast and doesn't really do anything to the chrome. Try to find something you can wrap the pad around and stuff down there and use with a drill at low speed, but I've done it by hand too with fair success. Just did that on an Echo backpack blower cylinder.

If you have an old Mothers Powerball Mini they work great to wrap a scotch-brite pad around if you can stuff it in the cylinder. Did that with a 7-10 cylinder, but there's no way it was gonna fit in a 50cc backpack blower jug hehe

Seafoam should loosen it if you let it sit, but I've never tried.
Ahh thanks, I do have some green scotch brite pads

Scotch brite and a long eye bolt. Just stuff the scotchbrite through the eye of the bolt and wrap it over on itself. Chuck the bolt in a drill and clean away! That's how I clean up all the cylinders that come across my bench.

Latest posts

Back