McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fuel line and filter arrived today, piston replacement seems to be a success. .404 aggressive chipper. Oil mix is a little stronger than usual till it doesn't worry me after putting humpty dumpty back together again.
This is the second firing after intial tune .

Link Will this piston fit a 1-43 or a Super 250? I was poking around with my Super 250/1-43 Frankensaw getting it ready for a bath when I decided it would be a good idea to peek in the muffler. I kinda wished I hadn’t when I saw some nasty scoring and heard a crunchy metal-on-metal noise when I pulled it over. The only thing that makes me feel better is the knowledge that these saw are fairly simple to work on as my older brother managed to strip a 1-42 down to the bare long block and re-assemble it without the help of the internet.
View attachment 837184
Poop

Ron,

Did you do that to get out of mowing?

Only got a little break from the mowing. Just now got in from piling the logs, brush and rounds. Finished mowing in between.

I know it may sound like heresy, but when it is hot I would rather mow than saw. This week has been unseasonably cool - in the 60s. Today the temps have started to climb so I thought do it now as the 90s are on the way with likely no relief until September.

Ron

I spent some time rearranging saws in the museum today to make room for more and to start to get them organized the way I want them. I found a few spare saws that I will be making available in the coming days. L-R; Pro 10-10, 10-10S , RH start 10-10, CP70L. The 10-10S has a Pro Mac 10-10 AF cover right now but the model number tag confirms it is actually a 10-10S.

20200620_170711.jpg

Pop over to the Vintage Chainsaw Museum thread to see more yellow saws.

Mark

@heimannm I might take a swing at that CP70

Follow up to the muffler chunks I posted earlier...
Warning - carnage below:

20200620_223507.jpg20200620_223500.jpg

The good news is, the cylinder walls seem to have survived! A little "peppering" at the top of the jug, but given how that piston looks, I'd say this turned out pretty well. I've got a 7-10 crank/piston with new rings and seals that needs a home, so a transplant is on the way. Question - I assume the PTO bearing that is held in place with a locating ring and the bearing that is held in place with a locating pin are interchangeable? The donor has a pin locator, this has the ring.

You know the seller takes returns free of charge.I've bought several saws from this same seller & she will work with you to make things right.I've only had to return one saw that was a total basket case.

The CP70L is quite low on compression and has been repainted by the previous owner. I will try to get some details and photos and follow up with you. The 10 Series PTO side bearings are all the same. If you need to install a bearing in the insert you need a mandrel to maintain the ID of the bearing as you press it in. I had a few that slightly deformed the outer race without support causing the rollers to be slightly canted and thus the bearing tries to skate off the shaft.
Mark

Jethro isn't it starting to cool off in your part of the world? Hopefully you'll have a good chainsaw season.

Yup sure is had a wicked frost today then the fog rolled in. Thankfully I got out inland on some farms and can watch the freezer from far away.

Yeah I've got 2 years or more of firewood at the moment so haven't chased any trees lately but my mate has some coming up and wants a hand and another mate has some big 40 odd inch pines to drop at the nabours so hopefully can get back into it. Same mate has a pile of logs to cut too so really should get into it again. The 850 still has oiler issues it wont pump at cutting speed but drowns the bar at idle and the manual pump looses prime too. The 800 is ready whenever and a bunch of other old beasts. Might try another pump in the 850 when I get some time I've been busy throwing parts and time at my mountain bikes but there done now. Damn Mtbs I ditched the dirt bikes for a cheaper/safer sport but I'm pretty sure these cost more haha and the safer part is a myth.

Good to see everyone still into it

Yup sure is had a wicked frost today then the fog rolled in. Thankfully I got out inland on some farms and can watch the freezer from far away.

Yeah I've got 2 years or more of firewood at the moment so haven't chased any trees lately but my mate has some coming up and wants a hand and another mate has some big 40 odd inch pines to drop at the nabours so hopefully can get back into it. Same mate has a pile of logs to cut too so really should get into it again. The 850 still has oiler issues it wont pump at cutting speed but drowns the bar at idle and the manual pump looses prime too. The 800 is ready whenever and a bunch of other old beasts. Might try another pump in the 850 when I get some time I've been busy throwing parts and time at my mountain bikes but there done now. Damn Mtbs I ditched the dirt bikes for a cheaper/safer sport but I'm pretty sure these cost more haha and the safer part is a myth.

Good to see everyone still into it
You'll be strapping a McCulloch engine on a mountain bike before to long!
Maybe the check ball is sticking in the oiler on the 850, could be a little piece of wood chip , wouldn't really be an issue at idle means the more revving the more pumping pressure? Maybe spraying the channels out ?

I'm near Motueka but I grew up in Mid Canterbury then lived mostly in Christchurch.

Cool that's a cracking good spot up there. I did wonder how you new where I was from a boring little photo. How good is the mac hunting up your way? Far out I know a few kiwis on the old AS now.

You'll be strapping a McCulloch engine on a mountain bike before to long!
Maybe the check ball is sticking in the oiler on the 850, could be a little piece of wood chip , wouldn't really be an issue at idle means the more revving the more pumping pressure? Maybe spraying the channels out ?

I could try a bit of brakcleen and some air. I first thought it was the lack of spring in the back of the pump but nah didn't cure it. I do have another pump but getting a bit thin on them now. If it would manual fine I'd call it day and use that. I cut god only knows how much with the 800 basically manual only which is a heap of pumping to keep a 32 greased up.

Oh and yeah thought about it but ahh waste of a good saw lol. My mate has an echo cs60 on a bike and it pulls 40mph haha

I did wonder how you new where I was from a boring little photo.
Some might say the Canterbury Plains are the most boring part of the country. ;-)
Your photo reminded me of a lagoon near the coast at Waimate but I guess it's probably just an irrigation pond?

How good is the mac hunting up your way?
I got my first one, a Mini Mac from Geraldine, my plastic Mac from Christchurch, and just recently three PM610s (one going, 2 spares) from a guy further down the road here. He was selling a bunch of plastic Macs as well but I politely declined.

Latest posts

Back