McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some might say the Canterbury Plains are the most boring part of the country. ;-)
Your photo reminded me of a lagoon near the coast at Waimate but I guess it's probably just an irrigation pond?

I got my first one, a Mini Mac from Geraldine, my plastic Mac from Christchurch, and just recently three PM610s (one going, 2 spares) from a guy further down the road here. He was selling a bunch of plastic Macs as well but I politely declined.

Yup agreed they are boring haha it's nice at the south end though it's very close to all the fun stuff. Yeap there's a few lagoons around waimo the whole coast of south Canterbury was swampy lagoons until they all got drained and pastured.

I've seen a few minis on trade me from Geraldine a couple really nice ones too. Hunt down a 10 series if ya can I got a few bits if you need anything. I pretty much grab any 10 series I can as even dead they provide sooo many parts for a keeper

Hunt down a 10 series if ya can I got a few bits if you need anything. I pretty much grab any 10 series I can as even dead they provide sooo many parts for a keeper
Yeah I'm after something older and classic like that (when I can afford it). And I'll reduce the number of PM610s I have sometime .

Yeah I'm after something older and classic like that (when I can afford it). And I'll reduce the number of PM610s I have sometime .

Can certainly be expensive if paying trade me prices that's for sure. It blows me away how much a huckery old 10-10 can fetch on TM. I payed 500 on there for my 850 and yeah was a hell of a price to pay but it's a really tidy one and had to have it.

1 went for 40 bucks a few weeks ago 10-10 in chch was going to grab it but my mate was after one so rang him up and he was a few seconds late grrr new I should have wacked the old button but never mind.

Scrap bins farmers sheds garage sales old 2nd hand shops they are about and can be had cheap. Ask around too I've had a few that way and my hard hat with a mac sticker got me one too. I'm not on Facebook but there on there and no stupid chain brake rules that way

I was looking for a donor saw in the attic and found this.

20200622_085622_001.jpg

I thought I would check the compression to see if it was worth any effort.

20200622_080736.jpg

I decided to clean it up and make it whole. Came out pretty well.

20200622_144715.jpg

20200622_144723.jpg

20200622_144731.jpg

20200622_144739.jpg

The brake flag was broken so I decided to swap it out with a good one from my spare parts boxes. It would have been easier to just swap the covers but this one had better paint. I probably spent an hour getting the brake handle back on this one.

Mark

With that project complete I decided to tackle a Jenn Feng saw that someone had dropped off for repairs. The primer bulb was broken and missing an anti-vibe spring from the handle down below the starter.

20200622_144827.jpg

I also tightened up the starter rope. While these are pretty pathetic in the power department, at least they are fairly easy to work on.

Mark

Can certainly be expensive if paying trade me prices that's for sure. It blows me away how much a huckery old 10-10 can fetch on TM....

I'm not on Facebook but there on there and no stupid chain brake rules that way
There's a 10-10 on Trade in Auckland, currently on $100 and a mid-1960s Pioneer for $265 in Kaikoura on Facebook Marketplace.

Well, I finally got around the bolting up the clamshell on my SP 40 with my Ebay crank and bearings. I hope i did it right, what a pain in the arse setting the bearing axial play and crank position with feeler guages. I hope it's right....I don't feel any binding. I tried to use the right amount of Yamabond. I guess we'll see...

Attachments

• 20200625_122701_HDR.jpg
    20200625_122701_HDR.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 32
  • 20200625_122653_HDR.jpg
    20200625_122653_HDR.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 32
  • 20200625_122615.jpg
    20200625_122615.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 30
I'd say you have the Yamabond part covered! I just hope the inside of the case doesn't also have as much excess as the outside. If it does, you may want to get back in there and tidy it up before going much further.
A lot of the excess you see I added around the seals as recommended in the service manual. I also tried to keep the Yamabond focused toward the outside of the case if that makes sense. I would expect not nearly as much on the inside.

Thanks!

Just picked up some new bearings and seals for the super 55. Found a nos filter cover on ebay and picked up some new decals from sugar creek supply. I found a nos .030" piston on ebay and will be taking the cylinder in to a local machine shop to get bored here soon. Just getting parts cleaned currently and will repaint a couple parts to test out a new paint I picked up recently. Still need to track down a couple parts though. Anyone happen to have a crankcase stuffer or flywheel/case cover plate?
5fe2a5a3160fb44d9c37de3dd21f0fcd.jpg

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

You know the seller takes returns free of charge.I've bought several saws from this same seller & she will work with you to make things right.I've only had to return one saw that was a total basket case.

You were not wrong my friend - sent her a message and we worked something out... rebuild is still under way!

Kudos to the good sellers on ebay like ladybug, and her seemingly endless supply of Macs.

Ran the PM800 today, cut up 5/6 dead pines and a couple cookies off a pecan.
Its incredibly difficult for me to hear the tune of this McCulloch with that funky muffler. I switched the chain from a .404 chipper to. 404 square chisel 24" bar and it pulls like a train but doesn't seem to wind out like the 700 and I don't want to grenade it lean after putting it together.
The old McCulloch dealer said it probably justs needs some run time after the the scotch bright pad treatment and ring swap which might be true.
I'm just used to the loud BRAP! Of the other Macs for tuning purposes.
Anyone else notice a "break in" after honing the cylinder with scotch bright pads?

Am very tempted to put a stock 850 muffler on my otherwise strong running 800.Used the 850 on Tuesday & even though in the past I didn't think there wasn't much difference,the 850 has just a wee bit more snap.Everything is otherwise equal,same carb/tune,same chain etc.The 850 will snap my wrist if I forget to use the decomp button (and hold it in) where as the 800 with the Q port/no decomp is slightly easier starting with less compression.

Am very tempted to put a stock 850 muffler on my otherwise strong running 800.Used the 850 on Tuesday & even though in the past I didn't think there wasn't much difference,the 850 has just a wee bit more snap.Everything is otherwise equal,same carb/tune,same chain etc.The 850 will snap my wrist if I forget to use the decomp button (and hold it in) where as the 800 with the Q port/no decomp is slightly easier starting with less compression.
How hot does your starter cover get running it for an hour or so?
Even with header wrap on my muffler that thing still seems to generate quite abit of heat.

Latest posts

Back