McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the info, Pogo.

I have wondered for a while if they changed anything from the early 700s to the later ones. I recall from an overseas Mac brochure that actually stated power figures that the 82cc figures seemed way overstated and the 700 figures were on par with the published ratings for a 60cc Stihl. I have put a lot of hours on my 700 and a 60cc Stihl - the 700 has more low end grunt but otherwise the two seem to perform pretty close In their sweet spots. Many with the newer 700s rave about their performance as if they can go head to head with a modern 70cc saw. A long lead in to why I wonder if some improvements were made to the 700.

Brian and I will get some rpm numbers - hopefully soon. Of course, they will just represent our herd. Like all mass produced machines there are performance variations within the same models. Some just run better. Brian’s 800 both before its seizure and after his rebuild just seems stronger than any of mine.

If someone has a dyno they would lend us we would get some power numbers.

Ron

Thanks for the info, Pogo.

I have wondered for a while if they changed anything from the early 700s to the later ones. I recall from an overseas Mac brochure that actually stated power figures that the 82cc figures seemed way overstated and the 700 figures were on par with the published ratings for a 60cc Stihl. I have put a lot of hours on my 700 and a 60cc Stihl - the 700 has more low end grunt but otherwise the two seem to perform pretty close In their sweet spots. Many with the newer 700s rave about their performance as if they can go head to head with a modern 70cc saw. A long lead in to why I wonder if some improvements were made to the 700.

Brian and I will get some rpm numbers - hopefully soon. Of course, they will just represent our herd. Like all mass produced machines there are performance variations within the same models. Some just run better. Brian’s 800 both before its seizure and after his rebuild just seems stronger than any of mine.

If someone has a dyno they would lend us we would get some power numbers.

Ron
Are the early 700s your referring to the points models?
Electric ignition could account for some performance gain, I know converting my cars over to electric ignition was noticeable.

Are the early 700s your referring to the points models?
Electric ignition could account for some performance gain, I know converting my cars over to electric ignition was noticeable.

No. I bought mine in January 1982 and it has electronic ignition. Maybe I have a dud as it doesn't perform like a more modern 70cc Husky. I doubt it is a dud - as I posted, the first power specs I saw on it were close to a 60cc Stihl - which is what I have experienced though it has more low speed grunt and a broader power band.

Ron

No. I bought mine in January 1982 and it has electronic ignition. Maybe I have a dud as it doesn't perform like a more modern 70cc Husky. I doubt it is a dud - as I posted, the first power specs I saw on it were close to a 60cc Stihl - which is what I have experienced though it has more low speed grunt and a broader power band.

Ron
I ran my 700 side by side with my 10mm 044 in the same wood, and same full comp round chisel chain with 20" bars. The 044 was way faster, but could be easily stopped with little pressure. The 700 could not be stopped or even dlowed down much even with as much pressure as I could apply. For production, I'd have to go 044, for firewood and fun the 700 wins hands down. Everybody loved the 700, where the Stihl was just another saw.

Ron

I've run alot of Stihls and like the "0" series quite a bit, but the 361 is one of my favorite to run( for 3 years ), it was a work saw not mine.
As far as rpms go the modern saws are definitely faster in the cut , but performance is kind of a opinion of how anything works is the way I see it. Cutting out of a pinch in a pile of blow downs is performance for me , or maybe plunge cutting a heavy leaning hardwood as fast as a normal cut.
A park just gave me an ms391 to fix and after getting it sorted out it really screams and pulls a 24" bar just fine but after test running it for 2 weeks I still have a difficult time not bogging it down because of a heavy hand from running my 700.
At work I only get problem, with targets,dangerous , or terrifyingly huge trees to cut so I have to have my saw perform exactly as I expect for a 70cc saw.
Last week I cut 7 "bad trees" around a campground , 4 dead , 2 leaners and 1 lightning struck blow out at the base. Steering those trees in the back cut is very important and the torque of the saw matters for felling correction, considering most of the trees were 100' plus and there's a dozen electric boxes and pipe stands in every direction.
All I'm saying is that the ProMac 700 does pretty much whatever I need it to do and I don't have to think about much else.
Until the dbh's get over 34" then it's 088 time or Super1050 time. Sorry if I was long winded.

Below is a 2016 post. Note the 800 has gone from 5.0kw/6.8PS to 5.6kw/7.5PS. The 700 is rated at 3.5kw/4.7PS. I think the 82cc figures are too high.

Here is what I found:
63a90c5778a1a737ee8c539d72720341.jpg
275a72b7fb8670fa16ce1777f512c85b.jpg
b8287216ca5698a76394cbe2755c2573.jpg

Gesendet von meinem SM-G928F mit Tapatalk

Ron

I've run alot of Stihls and like the "0" series quite a bit, but the 361 is one of my favorite to run( for 3 years ), it was a work saw not mine.
As far as rpms go the modern saws are definitely faster in the cut , but performance is kind of a opinion of how anything works is the way I see it. Cutting out of a pinch in a pile of blow downs is performance for me , or maybe plunge cutting a heavy leaning hardwood as fast as a normal cut.
A park just gave me an ms391 to fix and after getting it sorted out it really screams and pulls a 24" bar just fine but after test running it for 2 weeks I still have a difficult time not bogging it down because of a heavy hand from running my 700.
At work I only get problem, with targets,dangerous , or terrifyingly huge trees to cut so I have to have my saw perform exactly as I expect for a 70cc saw.
Last week I cut 7 "bad trees" around a campground , 4 dead , 2 leaners and 1 lightning struck blow out at the base. Steering those trees in the back cut is very important and the torque of the saw matters for felling correction, considering most of the trees were 100' plus and there's a dozen electric boxes and pipe stands in every direction.
All I'm saying is that the ProMac 700 does pretty much whatever I need it to do and I don't have to think about much else.
Until the dbh's get over 34" then it's 088 time or Super1050 time. Sorry if I was long winded.

Do you use your 700 at work, or do you have to use an issued saw? FWIW I "parked" my 700 after discovering the 82cc MACs. Ron

Do you use your 700 at work, or do you have to use an issued saw? FWIW I "parked" my 700 after discovering the 82cc MACs. Ron
I use my own saws at work which includes the PM700 as my main saw,mostly because I know them and maintain them.
By lack of better judgment they promoted me to a position where I can use whatever saw I want , they told me I could buy a new one (with state money) but honestly I don't see the point.
I heard someone say that the 2 most dangerous things that they ask of a new ranger is to carry a gun and use a chainsaw, so being familiar with a peice of equipment is very important.
I think the older saws have made me alittle famous for cutting also ,nothing draws a crowd of guys like the sound of the old 2 strokes warming up!

A 372XP is rated at 5.5hp with max power at 10,200. A 82cc MAC will eat it lunch - but it should with 10+cc more.
Ron
A good 82cc should be more comparable to a stock 390xp or 660 Stihl. But a well ported 372 should spank them all. I'd take my 850 over a 390 or 660 when 32" bars are used. I haven't run a 36" on my 850 to make that call.

It was more of a slap, conditions were not exactly controlled but the 7900 with a 24" bar was faster in a 24" sycamore log.

Mark
I'm guessing, or more like, hoping, that as the bars get to 36", the 82cc Mac pulls ahead. The Macs sure have the oiling capacity. Then again, in the day of the Mac, the wood was larger.

I'd say you have the Yamabond part covered! I just hope the inside of the case doesn't also have as much excess as the outside. If it does, you may want to get back in there and tidy it up before going much further.
Well after a few days of stewing over it... your comment finally got to me and I tore it back apart, and sure enough I had some Yamabond smeared on the crank throw and some other excess inside. I also wasn't completely happy with the alignment of the case bottom or the amount of axial play. I have it all apart and clean ready for another attempt. Is there any spot that these clamshells tend to leak that i should put any more than a very thin layer of sealant?

Haven't heard of that? Are they porting the 850 ?

Yeah there doing 1 each from what I remember before I fell asleep lol. They had the degree wheel on it and I remember him saying the intake duration was the biggest issue and a combination of piston skirt and port lowering will fix that. Think he said the exhaust was good and will clean it up. Thats all I remember and will watch it again at a more appropriate time of day

Back