McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
20200717_153437.jpg
Just thinking to myself that I needed to find some actual "part saws" for my ten series.
The Mac 1010-10a is from a yard sale I stopped by today, 25$ ofcourse it runs but I haven't seen the bore or piston.
The pro mac 10-10, I stopped by a scrap yard afterwards and the owner gave me it to me because it was locked up and the brake and clutch cover is busted . I pulled the starter and bar and chain, b/c were frozen together with rust.
Pulled the spark plug and PO installed a threaded insert which wasn't a terrible job but then sealed it up with jb weld and it came out with the plug. The rings were frozen to the bore but a few shots of deep creep and wiggling the flywheel back and forth the piston started sliding as it should.
So for a total of $12.50 a piece I have 2 McCulloch saws which one of them runs and the very good air filter on the Automatic is more than twice the amount of both.

Well I was going through a small town earlier in the day and stopped to talk to a small engine repair shop owner and he just told me he hauled off all his old saws to the scrap yard, so I just missed an opportunity there and it's always like that you win some and lose some.

It's actually stamped as an oem McCulloch bar. I did try hitting it with a wire wheel for a bit, paint is so stubborn. I gave up for another day. Besides I'm actually thinking of swapping on a 24" bar. That will be better for my typical use.

It's actually stamped as an oem McCulloch bar. I did try hitting it with a wire wheel for a bit, paint is so stubborn. I gave up for another day. Besides I'm actually thinking of swapping on a 24" bar. That will be better for my typical use.

Yeah mine is a Mac too. Think 24 on theses 82s is awesome. Great balance and man o man light saber cutting

It's a 28". Looks long at that angle. I think a 24" would be perfect, this one wears on my back after cutting a while....24" must balance better.
I like a 24" on most of my macs, but even the 24" Oregon bar is a heavy bar . Their 28 is a anvil too but for the money it's hard to beat.
The power match/cut is probably one of my favorite bars because it services easily and its pretty durable.
I've been tempted to try a light or reduced weight bar but being 3xs the cost its kind of cost prohibitive unless I get paid to cut a tree for what a contractor makes. Maybe then I'll splurge on one.

Well here's one of the 2. I cleaned at least 2lbs of saw cake out of it and had to put a new spark plug in it.
It was missing like crazy pulled the plug and the end of it was totally oxidized. I'm not sure how the points are but it starts pretty easy and revs up nicely. Put a loop of old homelite 38 on a McCulloch bar and cut some oak cookies both oilers work good.20200719_100211.jpg20200719_100226.jpg

Well here's one of the 2. I cleaned at least 2lbs of saw cake out of it and had to put a new spark plug in it.
It was missing like crazy pulled the plug and the end of it was totally oxidized. I'm not sure how the points are but it starts pretty easy and revs up nicely. Put a loop of old homelite 38 on a McCulloch bar and cut some oak cookies both oilers work good.View attachment 843429View attachment 843430

Another one saved

The other saw has a pretty terrible mess with the spark plug insert, when I originally pulled it out it looked pretty good but at the top of the hole that isn't visible laying flat the tapped threads were cross xxx .
Got I've got a spare electronic ignition motor I'll probably stick in it and honestly I can't remember where it came from? It must be an early model because it has the points lobe on the crank.

Howdy all, it's been a while in between Macs for me, but I've managed to find one of these 80cc Macs finally! She's a Pro Mac 850.
Picked it up yesterday & yet to have a good look over it, but i am pretty happy!!! I've been wanting one for ages & when i have seen them i have either missed out or i haven't had the money... She seems to have good compression & spark (although the cable has a badly done join in it) so with a bit of tinkering & tidying i hopefully i will get her going.
Can anyone tell me if these plug cables hard to replace?? I've not had to change one before.
20200719_145839.jpg20200719_145853.jpg20200719_145937.jpg

Back