McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The spark plug wire will "unscrew" from the coil but often the sealant will cause the insulation to stick in the hole. Carefully dig it all out and you will find a stud with threads like a sheet metal screw in the bottom, thread the new wire over the stud using sealant to insure it is waterproof.

Mark

To follow up on these replies, this has worked well for me so far, and being tinned, it won't corrode inside the jacket over time:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/7mm-EPDM-T...248332?hash=item285ab11c0c:g:VQQAAOSwllpa-126
FWIW I've never had any luck getting the old wire out of the coil without breaking some of the original coil plastic at the edges. It's usually just super brittle, and most of the ones I've seen are already cracking anyway. I used JBWeld to both seal the new wire in and sort of rebuild the plastic coil housing lost in the operation.

If you can get the old wire out cleanly, silicon might be a better option for sealing it up as it will probably handle the vibrations and movement better since it's not rigid when it cures. Just clean everything out with brake cleaner (or something similar) prior, so it will adhere to the wire and the coil.

Are the mounting holes on that spike approx 4 1/8 inches from center to center?
They fit the short covers but there’s enough meat there to drill it for the later style long covers. I have a few left, shoot me a PM if you’re interested.

Finally got around to mounting up one of Goinwheelin's spikes on my sp81. I think it looks pretty sweet, thanks again goinwheelin!View attachment 843166View attachment 843167
looking good! Thanks for the plug! Lol

Any reason you didn't knock out a few of the others for the long covers too?
At the time I didn’t really think about it. I just wanted that spike on my 850 with a short cover they ended up cutting me more spikes than I have short covers so I figured I would share. If there’s enough demand I’ll get some cut with the other bolt pattern.

Gotcha. Though maybe you cut them yourself.
I had them cut here at work. The program is on file so if I need more cut or a different bolt spacing it’s not a problem. There’s some other spikes in the works for different brands of saws I’m just waiting on my guy in programming.

Gotcha. XL12 spikes would probably do pretty well if you had a few made to sell. I paid 15 bux for one of the only ones I could find that wasn't ridiculously priced by the ebay gougers. It was an ok re-pop, but made from pretty flimsy stock. It did include the mounting hardware which was also a nice selling point.

Latest posts

Back