McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
svk - all of the Power Mac 6, Mini Mac variants, and the 300 Series saws use the same bar mount. There are a lot of bars out there so you don't have to share the same bar on all of your little saws...and be careful when you tighten the screw in the front of the top handle, those yellow handles are hard to come by. Black are still very plentiful.

I have been quite successful resurrecting points with emery paper followed by carburetor cleaner and compressed air, with a final wipe using clean, dry paper. Some have been very, very bad but for hard to find parts like the BP-1 you make the effort and make do with what you have.

Mark

you need points file.
emery or sandpaper is iffy at best. grit can be left in points, preventing contact.
That's why I like using emery cloth,very little if any grit is left behind,&after I've finished I use a piece of receipt paper to drag in between the points to make sure there's no grit or oil residue.I've used points files,but just don't like them unless I want to get real aggressive.

Vinny,as for using chips,I guess it's got to the point that we have no other choice.It was just a matter of time before the supply ran out.I'm far from being a purist,I've got a few chips on hand that I've pretty much used for testing coils before I had a multimeter.I've got 2 or 3 saws that were chipped by someone else & they run just fine.I know Bob J.is using chips now too due to the condenser supply running out.
I don't really know which chip to use.I've seen them on eBay that are sold specifically for Homelite SEZ saws that are sold by LRB for $12.I don't really know how they can say that this chip is for this saw & that chip is for that saw.I know the 1st chips that were made were called the ATOM chip & they were color coded.

Vinny,as for using chips,I guess it's got to the point that we have no other choice.It was just a matter of time before the supply ran out.I'm far from being a purist,I've got a few chips on hand that I've pretty much used for testing coils before I had a multimeter.I've got 2 or 3 saws that were chipped by someone else & they run just fine.I know Bob J.is using chips now too due to the condenser supply running out.
I don't really know which chip to use.I've seen them on eBay that are sold specifically for Homelite SEZ saws that are sold by LRB for $12.I don't really know how they can say that this chip is for this saw & that chip is for that saw.I know the 1st chips that were made were called the ATOM chip & they were color coded.
They are not saw specific unless it stihl, I used an Oregon branded version on a homelite super 55.

I use the 12.00 dollar ones on ebay. They are aftermarket nova ii chips.

Sunday funday, figured may as well work on this 7-10. a little cleaning, reseal the crankcase and new crank seals. We have another good running Mac. I didnt even kit the carb on this one. I do need a muffler cover for this one if anyone has anything sitting around.

368b85f8a01e44e3bcb2632757c93022.jpg
ed3280715111349a075c852f3188e839.jpg

Well I found the problem with the 1-41 with no spark - the nut that holds the condenser wire on the points block was missing.I put the nut on from my old 380 & I got it to fire on a prime twice.I then put a new fuel filter in it with some fuel & got nothing,even with a prime.I figured I blew out the condenser,this has happened to me before.I put the new condenser in it from the 380 & still no spark.
Then I took some readings of the coil & got some really strange readings.The primary (?) was reading 34,000 Ohms & the secondary (?) read just a hair over 1,000 Ohms.I've never had a coil give me readings like that before.I'd have to say that the coil is shot.

According to my research on the 380 & 1-41 IPLs,the coils are the same part # 55949A.I don't know if I'll have to swap parts to & fro on the 2 coils because they look a lot different & the switches are different.The 380 switch wire hooks into the coil to kill it & the 1-41 switch just has a slide that kills the saw by grounding out over the coil screw.More investigation tomorrow.

Sunday funday, figured may as well work on this 7-10. a little cleaning, reseal the crankcase and new crank seals. We have another good running Mac. I didnt even kit the carb on this one. I do need a muffler cover for this one if anyone has anything sitting around.

368b85f8a01e44e3bcb2632757c93022.jpg
ed3280715111349a075c852f3188e839.jpg
@PogoInTheWoods, just an FYI, this 7-10 has the lever operated decomp like the one I traded to you, but it is a chrome cylinder with the open transfers like what is normally seen in a 7-10 just to add more confusion to McCullochs mixing and matching of parts lol.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

@PogoInTheWoods, just an FYI, this 7-10 has the lever operated decomp like the one I traded to you, but it is a chrome cylinder with the open transfers like what is normally seen in a 7-10 just to add more confusion to McCullochs mixing and matching of parts lol.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Awww hell another cylinder hahaha.

Man that thing sounds crisp with no cover

G'day
So i had a great find this weekend & thought I'd better share a couple of photos with you guys! I've seen guys get these sort of collections before, so it's great that my number came up!
I haven't had a chance to go over everything yet but most seem complete & turn over, so with a bit of shed time I'll hopefully have some runners.
macs.jpgmacs2.jpg

G'day
So i had a great find this weekend & thought I'd better share a couple of photos with you guys! I've seen guys get these sort of collections before, so it's great that my number came up!
I haven't had a chance to go over everything yet but most seem complete & turn over, so with a bit of shed time I'll hopefully have some runners.
View attachment 849028View attachment 849029
Fantastic! Score for you ! Looks like you got some great ones in there!

Back