McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The fella i got those saws from also gave this book. Anyone else read this yet? Has some really great stuff!

-Ryan

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
bf4f5722144d13771d98eeaf5363c775.jpg
I got it from the library a few months ago. Its a good coffee table book, lots of pictures.

I picked up a 10-10S today.
I need a fuel filter Part# 215714.
Google has not been any help. Everything I found was sold out.
Is there a generic filter I can get?
I like the metal ones with the felt plug held in with the little strap. I buy them in 10 packs.

Last tree today..

1st time jacking a leaner. Back cut first probably wasn't necessary but still good chance to learn. Nailed the split pile perfectly 20201031_112156.jpg20201031_112234.jpg20201031_112259.jpg20201031_112324.jpgdidn't see the bird but it went for a heck of a last ride
20201031_114705.jpg
800 came out today. I tell ya with the dragon muffler its every bit as good as the 850.

Nice to see you wanting to share your toys Ron and I loved seeing that bit about the flippers too good on ya :)
Let us know how that new off brand goes

When you drop them on the wood pile you don't have to carry the pieces so far.

Mark

Exactly:)

Man drop a tree and dinner's waiting on the ground for you! Strange chicken though?
Nice PM800 action.

Hahaha yeah some sort of shag im pretty sure. The lady of the house recons the bird got clobbered on the way past.

Last tree today..

1st time jacking a leaner. Back cut first probably wasn't necessary but still good chance to learn. Nailed the split pile perfectly View attachment 864964View attachment 864965View attachment 864966View attachment 864967didn't see the bird but it went for a heck of a last ride
View attachment 864968
800 came out today. I tell ya with the dragon muffler its every bit as good as the 850.

Nice to see you wanting to share your toys Ron and I loved seeing that bit about the flippers too good on ya :)
Let us know how that new off brand goes

Never used a jack yet.
That 800 was getting it done.
Clint

Music to my ears, Jethro. Be careful with that jack. Ron

Certainly is a nice song.
Yes thank you for the be careful with the jack i was a little nervous wreck it was a 12 ton jack I couldn't find the 20ton I'd planed on using it was right on the borderline really was heavily pulling on that handle really probably over loaded it to be honest. At first I thought I was in big trouble but thankfully it started going.

Never used a jack yet.
That 800 was getting it done.
Clint

Yeah it works but yeah is a heck of a load if its got a good lean on and can kill you very quickly. Love that 800 it was my first Mac too and was a hooked man

Certainly is a nice song.
Yes thank you for the be careful with the jack i was a little nervous wreck it was a 12 ton jack I couldn't find the 20ton I'd planed on using it was right on the borderline really was heavily pulling on that handle really probably over loaded it to be honest. At first I thought I was in big trouble but thankfully it started going.

Yeah it works but yeah is a heck of a load if its got a good lean on and can kill you very quickly. Love that 800 it was my first Mac too and was a hooked man
In the last few years I've been a magnet for big trees.
Lots of them were hit and run. Someone else cut them down and cut the limbs and ran. It takes a lot of the danger away for me when they are already down.
Decades ago I never saw this. To many are getting lazy now days.
Clint

In the last few years I've been a magnet for big trees.
Lots of them were hit and run. Someone else cut them down and cut the limbs and ran. It takes a lot of the danger away for me when they are already down.
Decades ago I never saw this. To many are getting lazy now days.
Clint

Yeah strange that very very strange. I can't imagine bailing on a wood score. Hard work it maybe but better than paying for wood. Eather way your working for it

Yeah strange that very very strange. I can't imagine bailing on a wood score. Hard work it maybe but better than paying for wood. Eather way your working for it
I just love doing it. Most of my friends think I'm nuts, but they are just setting around doing nothing.
The oldest man I personally know is 90 and splits with a maul. That inspiring.
I'm 67 and I try to keep a pile to be split and do so for 20 minutes or so 3 to 4 times a week. I call it my morning fix.
Clint

Clint those hit and runs are where most my firewood comes from. People have tree companies come in and remove trees near house or powerlines, drop them, limb them and leave them. Guess most of the tree companies don't want to deal with them. You'd think k they'd discount the job and take the trees and resell them, but they never do.

To me its the best cause the stem is already on the ground and don't have to deal with branches. I burn 4-5 cord a year for heat and split it all by hand and chunk up what isn't easy to split. I'm not a gym kinda guy so I find it therapeutic and a nice workout.

That jack notch should have been quite a bit deeper to get under more wood. Only an outside sliver of that whole tree (relatively speaking) was being used to lift it and could have resulted in disaster had it split out. Being so far off center in the back cut also increased the odds of things not going according to plan.

Not trying to be overly critical here Jethro, just expressing concern about your safety.

We like having you around!

North East Tennessee Saturday MAC Report

Firewood season is in full swing in North East Tennessee. We welcomed a Fall sunrise with a temperature of 35* and ice on the windshield.

First off, a personal note to our friend Jethro, who is in the midst of Spring, and who by the way regularly publishes here a fine MAC report from New Zealand.
That jack notch should have been quite a bit deeper to get under more wood. Only an outside sliver of that whole tree (relatively speaking) was being used to lift it and could have resulted in disaster had it split out. Being so far off center in the back cut also increased the odds of things not going according to plan.
Not trying to be overly being critical here Jethro, just expressing concern about your safety.
Jethro, I probably should have spoke up too as I noticed the same thing, but kept quiet as I couldn't discern the sap wood and know nothing about that type of tree. Your later comments about the jack being undersized - please take that to heart too. As Poge said, not trying to be overly being critical here, just expressing concern about your safety. We like having you around! And so does that fine lad with the FJ!

Brian, Lee and I bucked two Pin Oaks and one red Oak today. Brian ran his 800 after his Chinacom 66 bit the dust, or something fatal to its chain, and Lee ran a 1010. I was testing a fuel injected off-brand and forgot to take picture of the MACs in action. With a dulled chain I pretty much smoked a new lite bar on a hard crotch knot in the last of the Pin Oaks. Brian 800's chain was also dull and made no progress. We tried to split it with wedges - no success. Brian added his 1010 to the fray and was able to nibble the final holding wood in two. We both expected to see metal or a stone, but it was just hard as a rock gnarly cross grained wood.

After running the off-brand I am a little nervous that it might take over all of my usual cutting thus reserving my MACs to the occasional 125 size job or just having fun gigs. I used the word "all" as it is also endangering my small off-brand saws, they may be down to jobs that are exclusively small stuff. Quite an impressive saw coming in 4.5# less than my 800 and only 1# more than my small saw which has a 5" shorter bar. Maybe I need to renew my weight reduction program for the 800. Not sure I can get it that much more lighter but I can lower it some - a lite bar would be an instant weight savings. Some trimming of the clutch cover. Never be equal though - the off-brand is a half wrap, a road I have been down with the 800 and hated.

The guys at the lot are still over run with wood to split. We were fortunate to get to cut today. Last Saturday, the three of us just helped split. We have three conveyors going and many splitters.

Ron

This valuable report is provided through the the generous support of MacNuts like you and Blind Squirrel Falling, one of America's greatest imaginary businesses.

Not trying to be overly critical here Jethro, just expressing concern about your safety.

Thanks Poge I sorta thought it would be less work for the jack being further from the hinge and that wood is very stringy hard to split but yeah think I do need to go deeper.

Thank you too Ron

Yes Jack was definitely too small. I use that jack daily under rotary milking platforms and lifts quite a few tonnes of concrete so thought it would be fine but nup no way and have definitely got some good hard experience to take away from it for next time.

You guys and a good man I message down here are about the only advice I get so very grateful to hear it.

Also nice to hear you guys mentioning my boy too cos yup he definitely wants me around :)

North East Tennessee Saturday MAC Report

Firewood season is in full swing in North East Tennessee. We welcomed a Fall sunrise with a temperature of 35* and ice on the windshield.

First off, a personal note to our friend Jethro, who is in the midst of Spring, and who by the way regularly publishes here a fine MAC report from New Zealand.

Jethro, I probably should have spoke up too as I noticed the same thing, but kept quiet as I couldn't discern the sap wood and know nothing about that type of tree. Your later comments about the jack being undersized - please take that to heart too. As Poge said, not trying to be overly being critical here, just expressing concern about your safety. We like having you around! And so does that fine lad with the FJ!

Brian, Lee and I bucked two Pin Oaks and one red Oak today. Brian ran his 800 after his Chinacom 66 bit the dust, or something fatal to its chain, and Lee ran a 1010. I was testing a fuel injected off-brand and forgot to take picture of the MACs in action. With a dulled chain I pretty much smoked a new lite bar on a hard crotch knot in the last of the Pin Oaks. Brian 800's chain was also dull and made no progress. We tried to split it with wedges - no success. Brian added his 1010 to the fray and was able to nibble the final holding wood in two. We both expected to see metal or a stone, but it was just hard as a rock gnarly cross grained wood.

After running the off-brand I am a little nervous that it might take over all of my usual cutting thus reserving my MACs to the occasional 125 size job or just having fun gigs. I used the word "all" as it is also endangering my small off-brand saws, they may be down to jobs that are exclusively small stuff. Quite an impressive saw coming in 4.5# less than my 800 and only 1# more than my small saw which has a 5" shorter bar. Maybe I need to renew my weight reduction program for the 800. Not sure I can get it that much more lighter but I can lower it some - a lite bar would be an instant weight savings. Some trimming of the clutch cover. Never be equal though - the off-brand is a half wrap, a road I have been down with the 800 and hated.

The guys at the lot are still over run with wood to split. We were fortunate to get to cut today. Last Saturday, the three of us just helped split. We have three conveyors going and many splitters.

Ron

This valuable report is provided through the the generous support of MacNuts like you and Blind Squirrel Falling, one of America's greatest imaginary businesses.

I'm saddened but also very happy for you with your offbrand it really is a game changer I feel. If it gives guys like you with well warn body's more time on a saw then that's real good. Maybe you could paint it yellow bahahaha

Interesting to hear how hard that wood is wow.

Also know exactly what you mean about the full wrap bar. Really enjoyed being back on the 800 with its full wrap as the 850 is half.

I have a thought about weight reduction for the 800 Ron. Trade it for an SP81:) and a lightweight oregon bar. Billy ray says the 81 with the light bar is the only way his back will let him put a day falling with a Mac. The pm saws are alot more porky even the air filter lid or the starter cap have quite a few grams more

Back