McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a thought about weight reduction for the 800 Ron. Trade it for an SP81:) and a lightweight oregon bar. Billy ray says the 81 with the light bar is the only way his back will let him put a day falling with a Mac. The pm saws are alot more porky even the air filter lid or the starter cap have quite a few grams more

You are innocently bringing up old regrets. I had a SP81E with a PM800 A/F lid, a PM850, some nice short clutch covers, a NOS SP81 exhaust system, and a NOS PM850 cylinder. I intended to re-build the 81, but got hung up trying to find an A/F lid with the SP81E decal. In the meantime, there were two young lads on AS who were interested in MACs. I gave one of them the 850 and the other the 81. The one with the 850 made it a runner. The one with the 81 discovered girls. I sold the NOS cylinder for $20. Now I wish I had kept the 81 and the cylinder. I think the magnesium bottom support is so much cooler looking than the aluminum sheet boot plate on the later saws.

Ron

I like my PM800 and it is alittle heavier than it probably needs to be ,but those things are trade offs for me . I might spend 8 hrs cutting every once in awhile but I mean business when I fire up a saw. When I got to the 12 trees damaged by stroms
( twisted,broken,kick stands) at 930am after cutting a tree off my road to get there I had 10 on the ground and linked up for the tractor by 1:30 with and sandwich in between.
The saws need to be hardy, powerful, and reliable. Frankly the old metal saws fit the bill most of time.
I like my offbrands but I've built or modified most of the ones I own to get the performance I need.
I know that the PM800 is gonna cut its way out of most pinches because it has torque, so in theory I spend less time actually sawing to get the results needed.

Clint those hit and runs are where most my firewood comes from. People have tree companies come in and remove trees near house or powerlines, drop them, limb them and leave them. Guess most of the tree companies don't want to deal with them. You'd think k they'd discount the job and take the trees and resell them, but they never do.

To me its the best cause the stem is already on the ground and don't have to deal with branches. I burn 4-5 cord a year for heat and split it all by hand and chunk up what isn't easy to split. I'm not a gym kinda guy so I find it therapeutic and a nice workout.
Great Mogul
We burn about 6 to 7 cords. This year my wife and I have dealt with 22 cords. We have been blessed with good wood close by lately. A lot was from EAB Ash and the rest white and read oak.
We have had years that we were scratching for wood. I had a couple of loggers that were really good to us years ago. Both have gone on to a better place now. One was victim to a hickory that sprang back and hit him in his liver. He died while his son was holding him. He was a life long logger that was a wonderful nice person.

I'm nothing for the gym either. We went and checked out the local YMCA and decided not to do it. I'd rather do firewood and have something to show afterwards. The more wood I work up, the better I feel and I'm looking for more.
Clint.

Little while back I posted pics of a 10-10a my neighbor gave me. Well tonight I gave it a once over. Tank was clean, fuel line and filter looked great. I pulled clutch cover and bar and cleaned all that up. Put some fresh fuel to it, primed a few times down the carb and it runs great! These Macs never cease to amaze me. I didn't even open the carb up or even adjust a screw. Once running its really responsive, tipped it side to side with no erratic idle. I consistently have this luck with old Macs, I can't say that for any other saw brand.

I've burned as much as 27 cord of wood in one season,that was the winter of 2014-2015.That was a mighty cold winter that yr.& it was the last yr.before my house got super insulated.Now I only go through about 15-18 cord of wood.I don't split by hand anymore,those days are in the past.I figure after having 8 spinal surgeries I deserve a log splitter with a lift on it.I still do pretty much all the stacking though & I put all of the wood in the basement with a wheelbarrow after it's initial fill up using a trailer.It takes me a little longer than it did when I was 30,now I'm 62+.I think I can still outwork some of today's youngsters.I don't think the younger generation has the same work ethics as what was instilled in out brains when we were growing up.
For those of you who only burn 5-7 cords of wood per yr.,I kinda envy you guys.I see where you live & can understand why you only burn that amount.You're in a much warmer climate.When it gets downright cold here in W.N.Y.I'll go through a cord of hardwood in a week.I don't have a dinky little stove,I have a 100,000 BTU forced hot air furnace that I had installed in my house right after I bought my house 32 + yrs.ago.I'm sure it's not the most efficient furnace,but I can surely say that my house is as warm as toast even on the coldest winter days.

You are innocently bringing up old regrets. I had a SP81E with a PM800 A/F lid, a PM850, some nice short clutch covers, a NOS SP81 exhaust system, and a NOS PM850 cylinder. I intended to re-build the 81, but got hung up trying to find an A/F lid with the SP81E decal. In the meantime, there were two young lads on AS who were interested in MACs. I gave one of them the 850 and the other the 81. The one with the 850 made it a runner. The one with the 81 discovered girls. I sold the NOS cylinder for $20. Now I wish I had kept the 81 and the cylinder. I think the magnesium bottom support is so much cooler looking than the aluminum sheet boot plate on the later saws.

Ron

Sorry Ron was innocent your right. I wouldn't regret it too much man what goes around comes around and you may never know when or if it ever did but it will come around :) I am sad about the 81 cylinder though 20 bucks man far out. Probably made someone real happy too though.

There's an 81 for sale over here at the moment im very sad but I just can't do it right now :( id probably trade the 850 for it infact have been thinking of turning the 850 into an 81 with ebay parts bit by bit as I can.

I've never run or for that matter even seen/held a 800, 805, or 850. I do however absolutely love how my sp81 feels in my hands. Just seems lightweight and sleek. Feels just as light, maybe lighter than my 10-10s.

It probably is just as light. I have a PM10-10 its a heavy little brick for 54cc wow. I prune roses with a 7-10 but not a PM10-10 the S will be the same. The 700 heavy too but atleast its 70cc and the S got balls too

I like my PM800 and it is alittle heavier than it probably needs to be ,but those things are trade offs for me . I might spend 8 hrs cutting every once in awhile but I mean business when I fire up a saw. When I got to the 12 trees damaged by stroms
( twisted,broken,kick stands) at 930am after cutting a tree off my road to get there I had 10 on the ground and linked up for the tractor by 1:30 with and sandwich in between.
The saws need to be hardy, powerful, and reliable. Frankly the old metal saws fit the bill most of time.
I like my offbrands but I've built or modified most of the ones I own to get the performance I need.
I know that the PM800 is gonna cut its way out of most pinches because it has torque, so in theory I spend less time actually sawing to get the results needed.

For all metal saws they really aren't that bad for the cc and grunt and sound too. Its the later porky 54cc the only 1 that's obese for its CC and power still a great saw though. Oil output I love how ya can just drown the bar. I never grease tip sprockets on these why when pump pump its dripping in nice clean oil keeping the bearings kinda washed. Why new saws gave up the button is annoying a bit.

Little while back I posted pics of a 10-10a my neighbor gave me. Well tonight I gave it a once over. Tank was clean, fuel line and filter looked great. I pulled clutch cover and bar and cleaned all that up. Put some fresh fuel to it, primed a few times down the carb and it runs great! These Macs never cease to amaze me. I didn't even open the carb up or even adjust a screw. Once running its really responsive, tipped it side to side with no erratic idle. I consistently have this luck with old Macs, I can't say that for any other saw brand.

That's awesome. Could he not get it to run? Do you have the same luck for large frame Macs? Still haven't got 1 home yet but 1 day

Feels like they only go for certain people. Victa mowers do the same thing lol. People curse them for not starting yet at my house tat tat ta tat ting ting there running happily.

I've burned as much as 27 cord of wood in one season,that was the winter of 2014-2015.That was a mighty cold winter that yr.& it was the last yr.before my house got super insulated.Now I only go through about 15-18 cord of wood.I don't split by hand anymore,those days are in the past.I figure after having 8 spinal surgeries I deserve a log splitter with a lift on it.I still do pretty much all the stacking though & I put all of the wood in the basement with a wheelbarrow after it's initial fill up using a trailer.It takes me a little longer than it did when I was 30,now I'm 62+.I think I can still outwork some of today's youngsters.I don't think the younger generation has the same work ethics as what was instilled in out brains when we were growing up.
For those of you who only burn 5-7 cords of wood per yr.,I kinda envy you guys.I see where you live & can understand why you only burn that amount.You're in a much warmer climate.When it gets downright cold here in W.N.Y.I'll go through a cord of hardwood in a week.I don't have a dinky little stove,I have a 100,000 BTU forced hot air furnace that I had installed in my house right after I bought my house 32 + yrs.ago.I'm sure it's not the most efficient furnace,but I can surely say that my house is as warm as toast even on the coldest winter days.

That's a crazy amount of wood Ed wow is that normal for people up there? Is that warming your intire house though?.

My first thought was a White-faced Heron. http://www.nzbirdsonline.org.nz/species/white-faced-heron
Plenty around here, they make me think of pterodactyls the way they fly and croak.
But yeah the head does look kinda like a shag/cormorant.

I think your spot on with the heron. Poor bugger :( I didn't mean too.

Neighbor goes to a lot of auctions and estate sales. Says he got the 10-10a for free and knows I'm into them. And yes I'd say I actually have even better luck with large frame Macs.

27 cords is insane. I'm in southeast NH, so not exactly a warm winter climate. My house isn't huge, 1800+ sq ft, and I'm prob 97% wood and 3% oil boiler for winter heat. I think one of my keys though is my Woodstock soapstone stove. It can burn as long as 12 hrs if stuffed with red oak...generally 8-10 hrs otherwise. It's got a catalyst and once it gets going on that its real hot and efficient.

Hello again, its been awhile for a post but always reading. Since weight of saws has been brought up id like to add a tid bit. My favirite go to saw is my first mac. An sp81. It came off ebay with a junk engine. I got a nos cylinder and piston from bob johnson several years ago. So its like a new saw. It looks good runs fantastic and is a joy to operate. It has a short side cover, mag bottom, full wrap bar and weighs in at 23.5 lbs. With a 28" bar. This past week i was lucky enough to hold a off brand 500I. I was very surprised at a few things on it. First and foremost its weight. With a 25 inch bar this saw weighed, on the same scale mind you, 21.25 lbs. It felt very good to hold. It does start easy. Its snappy also. My sp81 is a snappy saw and id love to test em side by side one day. Near future if the guy stops back. But i felt it spoke volumes that my favorite 35yr old pkus all mag saw was only slightly heavier with a longer bar. Macs are fantastic!!!!

27 cords. WOW!
I have some friends here in Virginia that have outdoor furnaces and burn probably 3 times what I do. I like the safety part of having one.
I have a Englander type stove I bought in 1976 and it heats the whole house. Depending on the type of wood I refill 3 to 5 times a day.
We haven't had a real winter here in I don't know when. I haven't even started a fire here yet. Haven't even had a killing frost yet.
The flue is clean, wood is in, also kindling is done. I'm ready.
Clint

Hello again, its been awhile for a post but always reading. Since weight of saws has been brought up id like to add a tid bit. My favirite go to saw is my first mac. An sp81. It came off ebay with a junk engine. I got a nos cylinder and piston from bob johnson several years ago. So its like a new saw. It looks good runs fantastic and is a joy to operate. It has a short side cover, mag bottom, full wrap bar and weighs in at 23.5 lbs. With a 28" bar. This past week i was lucky enough to hold a off brand 500I. I was very surprised at a few things on it. First and foremost its weight. With a 25 inch bar this saw weighed, on the same scale mind you, 21.25 lbs. It felt very good to hold. It does start easy. Its snappy also. My sp81 is a snappy saw and id love to test em side by side one day. Near future if the guy stops back. But i felt it spoke volumes that my favorite 35yr old pkus all mag saw was only slightly heavier with a longer bar. Macs are fantastic!!!!

Yesterday, I just happened to weigh my 800 full of fuel and oil with a 25" Stihl .404 bar. Right at 23.5#
The off-brand with a 25" 3/8 lite bar with fuel and oil came in at 19#. The off-brand holds a tad more fuel and oil. Per off-brand specs a R version (3/4 wrap) adds .9#. The lite bar makes a big difference.

IMG_5670.JPGIMG_5671.JPG

IMG_5675.JPG
IMG_5677.JPG
Ron

They are legends for a reason!

Back