McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Same here but he’s a newb lol
Someone borrowed my impact driver and hasn't returned it, so that was not an option. The rope trick worked out well though.

And after abusing the heck out of my daughters old toothbrush, the saw is clean(ish) while waiting for a new flywheel. Hope that'll bring it back to life soon.

Attachments

• 1613026872691.jpg
    1613026872691.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 17
Someone borrowed my impact driver and hasn't returned it, so that was not an option. The rope trick worked out well though.

And after abusing the heck out of my daughters old toothbrush, the saw is clean(ish) while waiting for a new flywheel. Hope that'll bring it back to life soon.
Likely that trying to remove the flywheel with a big screwdriver in the fins is how it got broken in the first place. The rope trick works very well. Looks really clean now.

Likely that trying to remove the flywheel with a big screwdriver in the fins is how it got broken in the first place. The rope trick works very well. Looks really clean now.
Actually that wasn't what happened. Something broke loose in the flywheel, I think one of the bolts that hold the pawls, and so that piece plus the pawl caused the damage, and those pieces of the flywheel where all over the place. We pulled the flywheel off quite easily using a small prybar and a few gentle bashes with a hammer on the center bolt with the nut covering it to avoid damaging the bolt.

Actually that wasn't what happened. Something broke loose in the flywheel, I think one of the bolts that hold the pawls, and so that piece plus the pawl caused the damage, and those pieces of the flywheel where all over the place. We pulled the flywheel off quite easily using a small prybar and a few gentle bashes with a hammer on the center bolt with the nut covering it to avoid damaging the bolt.
Ouch, i bet that made a awful noise grinding around in there.

Nice! I wondered if I was the only one who cleaned saws with a bright pink toothbrush.....ok sometimes I use one with ponies on it :D

Nice! I wondered if I was the only one who cleaned saws with a bright pink toothbrush.....ok sometimes I use one with ponies on it :D
Haha its funny you mention that because I just bought 2 kids tooth brushes for port scrubbing and didn't realize that when they're squeezed they light up! And flash!
Sadly not brake cleaner proof.

Well I messed up.... I attempted to repair the botched spark plug threads on the Super 250. Somehow I managed to to tap it way crooked!!! With the plug tightened down I could still get a pocket screwdriver under the gasket on one side [emoji2959]
Not all hope is lost, I managed to remove the insert and we have a Time Sert "Big Sert" kit at work that is like triple oversize. I have used it before to repair a badly botched SP81 cylinder that is now on "Scrap Heap". So I ordered the appropriate inserts I hope and when I get them we will give it another go. These are the only pics I have, I didn't bother taking pics once it went to shite.
3d9f7b37aecc69bf8613e756ef682e80.jpg
1cf042ea8187e958c121282f0983a86f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Well I messed up.... I attempted to repair the botched spark plug threads on the Super 250. Somehow I managed to to tap it way crooked!!! With the plug tightened down I could still get a pocket screwdriver under the gasket on one side [emoji2959]
Not all hope is lost, I managed to remove the insert and we have a Time Sert "Big Sert" kit at work that is like triple oversize. I have used it before to repair a badly botched SP81 cylinder that is now on "Scrap Heap". So I ordered the appropriate inserts I hope and when I get them we will give it another go. These are the only pics I have, I didn't bother taking pics once it went to shite.
3d9f7b37aecc69bf8613e756ef682e80.jpg
1cf042ea8187e958c121282f0983a86f.jpg

You know Kevin,when you screw up I don't feel so bad when I screw up.I hope that makes sense & no disrespect intended.

As promised a few days ago here are some pics of the 10-10S that I screwed up on with the carb (I hope that makes you feel better Kevin,Lol) when I put the fuel pump diaphragm in backwards,duh.When I fire this saw up I just love to listen to it purr.I can't wait to get out cutting with it!

Attachments

• thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 16
  • thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 16
  • thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 17
You know Kevin,when you screw up I don't feel so bad when I screw up.I hope that makes sense & no disrespect intended.
No offense taken, we all make mistakes. I have repaired this exact scenario a number of times from other people doing the same thing, it was just my turn to mess one up lol.

How come no welded pop up?
I have a 10-10 that I'm going to build and asked a local welder if he could do a little ring or dome on a piston for me . He told me if he heats it right it'll take. Just wondering if you guys already experimented with this?
Saw your post 12/7/20 on why not have a welded pop up . Did you get any further with this . Have with so few options on older saws that are not Husqvarna/ stihl chainsaws . Have a 250 , 10-10 McCulloch and SXL-925 , SXLAO Homelite , with low compression issues .And minimal piston choices .Almost no factory pistons and few after market not of factory quality . have been curios about this for some time , if it can be done .

Attachments

• 4FD7C43D-A126-46C4-801F-D378263C222F.jpeg
    4FD7C43D-A126-46C4-801F-D378263C222F.jpeg
    891.5 KB · Views: 8
Saw your post 12/7/20 on why not have a welded pop up . Did you get any further with this . Have with so few options on older saws that are not Husqvarna/ stihl chainsaws . Have a 250 , 10-10 McCulloch and SXL-925 , SXLAO Homelite , with low compression issues .And minimal piston choices .Almost no factory pistons and few after market not of factory quality . have been curios about this for some time , if it can be done .

If you can fizz aluminium or know someone and access to a lathe it certainly can be done. If you could get good at it there may be a little side hustle too

I could probably get it done but ahhh an 81 has plenty of grunt or an 850 or an 800. If the 70cc isn't enough ill grab 1 of them

A screamer 10-10 would be cool though. Id start with a 57cc

Its just patience and perseverance.

An old boy used to say patience perseverance and vasoline is what is needed to F*** a chicken with a worm on a stick lol. Not sure why that came out but anyway

I've had alot of irons in the fire lately, plus work is consistent 60hrs a week right now. When I do get a chance I'll definitely post it.

Latest posts

Back