McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Going a little "old school" here. I have and NOS carb diaphragm PN19164. I have tracked down that it will fit a 3-25 but am wondering if there are more saws that used it.

Thanks

Going a little "old school" here. I have and NOS carb diaphragm PN19164. I have tracked down that it will fit a 3-25 but am wondering if there are more saws that used it.

Thanks
I believe some early model 47's had that style of carb. Maybe some of the early production 4-30's had them too? Mark would probably know.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

I believe that diaphragm is unique to the 3-25 carb which I also believe was unique to the 3-25 as the first all position diaphragm carb on any chainsaw. The only locations in my material that I could find that diaphragm are in both the 1950 and 1953 IPL's for the 3-25.

On a happier note: with all the 82cc action on here, I couldn't pass this up! :)

View attachment 889428
View attachment 889429
View attachment 889430

I removed the clutch cover in the pics, but it's got a working chain brake. It's clearly newer than my other Macs (10-10A and frankensaw); funny how it doesn't have any Mac logos etc. the only reference is on the airbox lid in the small print. It has a home-made wrap handle attachment :)

I asked the previous owner for a piston shot, pic below. There appears to be some sealant/carbon gunk or something near the muffler gasket (yellow arrow)? I'd like to pull the (impressive!) muffler and check it out, and make sure the muffler's torqued down before running it. The muffler on this thing is quite large, and the saw has rubber anti-vibe pieces/additional belly plates that I know nothing about. Can someone refer me to a workshop manual? I've been looking around online, but haven't come up with anything.
Any advice would be much appreciated!

View attachment 889431
This is next to the end of the 82cc macs. Unique carb attachment. Its got a rubber skirt around the collar in the airbox. Very cool saws. Late 80s early 90s. They do share a muffler with the 800, 805, 8200 saws. Big mufflers for noise supression. Kinda tune down the saws, but these are really neat. Nice looking in my opinion. Mine wears an nos 28" roller nose. I must admit its a shelf queen. I run a tank thru a year. Thats it. But what a great looker. Nice find. They are not common.

The early 3-25 saws had a "hook" (maybe more accurately described as a "loop" on both sides of the diaphragm. Later ones had only one hook (or loop). This is a two hook version, I am not sure what the top hook linked with, you can see the bottom one engages the hook & pin that are part of the ball and seat mechanism. At best I can determine this is part number 19164.

1613267891263.png

The diaphragms for the later saws look like this. Part number is 19619. This one was used on several of the large, old saws including the 73 and 77 but they changed the part number to 28696. I think they changed it again later on, McCulloch was pretty good about changing the part numbers, sometimes with no discernable differences in the parts.

20180625_214100.jpg

Mark

The early 3-25 saws had a "hook" (maybe more accurately described as a "loop" on both sides of the diaphragm. Later ones had only one hook (or loop). This is a two hook version, I am not sure what the top hook linked with, you can see the bottom one engages the hook & pin that are part of the ball and seat mechanism. At best I can determine this is part number 19164.

View attachment 889548

The diaphragms for the later saws look like this. Part number is 19619. This one was used on several of the large, old saws including the 73 and 77 but they changed the part number to 28696. I think they changed it again later on, McCulloch was pretty good about changing the part numbers, sometimes with no discernable differences in the parts.

View attachment 889549

Mark
Its a shame we can't get holley to sell sheets of their secondary vacuum material, its pretty top notch.

I got at my little Eager Beaver 2.1 today.It just needed a little TLC & play time.It's running like a champ again.This is my 2nd Mac saw I ever bought back in the fall of 2017.

Attachments

• thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 4
  • thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 5
  • thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 4
This is next to the end of the 82cc macs. Unique carb attachment. Its got a rubber skirt around the collar in the airbox. Very cool saws. Late 80s early 90s. They do share a muffler with the 800, 805, 8200 saws. Big mufflers for noise supression. Kinda tune down the saws, but these are really neat. Nice looking in my opinion. Mine wears an nos 28" roller nose. I must admit its a shelf queen. I run a tank thru a year. Thats it. But what a great looker. Nice find. They are not common.
Thanks Vinny! Mine came with a 20” Mac bar, roller nose (“Speed-Mac” it says). Honestly, I’ll have to find work for it too :) My 10-10 can handle everything I’ve got now.

I've dealt with crap like this before guys.
It's what is left of the machine screw (with a easy out broken off in it) to hold the throttle handle strap and the bottom of the cylinder cover on a 10-10A.
I tried sticking a welding rod to it. That didn't work. So I ended up drilling two holes beside it. I got it out finally. I grinded the hole out bigger and filling it with JB Weld. I'll try drilling and tapping it. If that won't hold I have two more plans.
I'm sure some of you feel my pain.

20210215_170509.jpg

Before I broke off the easy out.
20210213_073903.jpg

20210215_170606.jpg

Today was the day I decided to tear into my 1-43 and replace the scored piston only to find out the piston looks like it could easily be re-used with some new rings. While I was in there I decided to port the saw as well and drilled out the third intake port. And, like clint, I had a buggered up screw to deal with. Fortunately it was for the recoil and in such a spot a hammer, screwdriver, and a set of pliers could get it out.
IMG_6130 2.jpegIMG_6131 2.jpegIMG_6132 2.jpegIMG_6133 2.jpegIMG_6134 2.jpegIMG_6135 2.jpegIMG_6136 2.jpegIMG_6140 2.jpegIMG_6141 2.jpegIMG_6142 2.jpeg

View attachment 889548

View attachment 889549

Mark

Here is the 19164

DSCN0566.JPGDSCN0568.JPGDSCN0563.JPG

Dan - we will expect some "after" photos of that saw cleaned up before reassembly. I am counting on them to look like new.

Mark
Someone repainted it in times past, and there's a few "ugly duckling" parts on it, but I'll do my best. Like-new might be expecting a little too much though. Two questions, the new piston I have (supposedly a fit for this saw) looks like the one below with the square transfer ports, but the one in the saw has different ports (as shown above) and appears to have a smaller wrist pin diameter. The p/n for the new piston is 53941A, can anyone tell me if it will work in a 1-43, or if nothing else, will the rings will swap over? Also, does anyone have generic brands and p/n's for the crankshaft seals?
s-l500.jpg

I think these are what you want:

Crank seals ball bearing side: 50663 (Timken: 474261)
Crank seals needle bearing side: 104128 (Timken: 254270) - Can someone please confirm this side?

Your piston assembly (original) is p/n 50206 and is the same as the 200. The std. ring set is 55123. Your piston is for a 380 which has the same part number for rings.

Here is the reference chart for the McCulloch numbers. Does anybody have a generic p/n for the 104129 bearing (I have seen them listed as NSN 3110-01-037-9239???)?

Attachments

• McRef.PNG
    McRef.PNG
    1.3 MB · Views: 15
  • McRef2.PNG
    McRef2.PNG
    983.6 KB · Views: 14

Latest posts

Back