McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a Danarm saw too,but it's the little 1-36,34cc.It looks identical to the Jonsered 361,Frontier Mark 1 & F35,Partner 330,& a bunch more different branded saws that were made in Trail,B.C.back in the mid 70's - early 80's.

Now for a Mac question: I got a DE80 off the local online classifieds a while back.
Basically, the saw runs, but the piston (it’s been pointed out that the rings are thicker than original, so likely someone’s been in there) skirt is pretty scuffed up looking through the exhaust port. The part of this cylinder wall visible through the port also shows some nasty looking scratches.
So I’ve set it aside, kind of written it off.
Now I’ve found a possible NOS replacement piston listed in nearby Spain. It’s got the part number “92518” scratched into the top, “PM 850” written in black marker. So this would be an “A” piston, right?
The DE80 IPL I’ve got indicates that this the correct (and only) piston for this saw. I don’t have the saw with me right now, so can’t check the cylinder top for a letter stamp; did these DE80s really only come with the “A” cylinder?
If this helps, my saw’a model number (on a sticker on the cylinder shroud) is 600155D; I’ve got a ‘98 Pubs Guide that states the only model number as 600155.

Now for a Mac question: I got a DE80 off the local online classifieds a while back.
Basically, the saw runs, but the piston (it’s been pointed out that the rings are thicker than original, so likely someone’s been in there) skirt is pretty scuffed up looking through the exhaust port. The part of this cylinder wall visible through the port also shows some nasty looking scratches.
So I’ve set it aside, kind of written it off.
Now I’ve found a possible NOS replacement piston listed in nearby Spain. It’s got the part number “92518” scratched into the top, “PM 850” written in black marker. So this would be an “A” piston, right?
The DE80 IPL I’ve got indicates that this the correct (and only) piston for this saw. I don’t have the saw with me right now, so can’t check the cylinder top for a letter stamp; did these DE80s really only come with the “A” cylinder?
If this helps, my saw’a model number (on a sticker on the cylinder shroud) is 600155D; I’ve got a ‘98 Pubs Guide that states the only model number as 600155.
As long as the chrome lining isn't badly chipped or peeled away a replacement piston is a good idea.
If you haven't already disassembled the saw you won't know if its beyond repair with a piston.
A,B,C, pistons available for 82cc saws aren't growing on trees so I'd be inclined to purchase it either way.
If there's No mark or stamp on top of your cylinder it's a B piston.

A,B,C, pistons available for 82cc saws aren't growing on trees so I'd be inclined to purchase it either way.

My thought as well. It’s not cheap, but any hope in hell of getting it sorted will need a piston.
I’ll only be back to the saw in a week, so leaning towards getting the piston anyway.

My 800 is an A dang it.

Mark how much size difference is there?

In moto bikes its pretty normal to step up a size on a well used nikasil jug

My 800 is very fresh still really and the 395 is taking a load off it and my other 82s so hopefully will never need to worry about it. 850 and 81 are B cylinders yay

The "A" is smallest, "C" is largest, the variation is 0.0004 to 0.0006" for each step up.

The pistons are 92518, 92519, and 92520. In addition there is an older thick ring piston that was used in the SP80 saws, 87791 if I recall, that can be used in place of the "B" piston.

Mark

The "A" is smallest, "C" is largest, the variation is 0.0004 to 0.0006" for each step up.

The pistons are 92518, 92519, and 92520. In addition there is an older thick ring piston that was used in the SP80 saws, 87791 if I recall, that can be used in place of the "B" piston.

Mark

Thanks Mark im feeling like a size up in a tired old bore might not be so bad

An "A" piston on this side of the pond will fetch $100 + shipping most any day of the week.

Mark

Got it, and it wasn’t far off, Mark.
As soon as I’m back to the saw I’ll check for the letter stamp & start disassembly to check the actual cylinder condition, take it from there.

My 800 is an A dang it

@Jethro 2t sniffer: if it’s not a fit or I otherwise decide not to got through with it, you’ll be my first call :) shipping might killer though

I had a nice visit yesterday from a very nice lady who lives about 2 1/2 hrs.away in Syracuse,N.Y.She brought her Husky 440 that had gotten stuck in a pinch & left out in the rain for over 2 months.The recoil rope was broken & missing entirely.I put a new recoil rope in & got the sprocket freed up again at the end of the bar & stepped up the idle a tad.I really don't like working on those plastic throw away saws,so cheaply built.
As it turned out I found out that she's a very good friend of Buckin' Billy Ray & had him on a video chat on her phone while I worked on her saw.He asked me if I had a piston for an SP125,& of course I had to reply NO.
So I'm passing it along,I know the 125 pistons are very scarce,but if anyone has a lead on one I'd be greatly indebted (and so would Buckin' Billy Ray).

Gee, who'da ever seen that comin'? LOL

Hahaha yeah its an animal of a thing. Real hard not to grab the 81 though its lighter than the 395.

Need a long bar for it now got a 5 foot or maybe 6 blue gum cumin up. Bit of a scary tree its a big sucker its right in a town ship and just fits if I put it in the right place its also got a little backwards lean on too.

All the big trees before the 800 has cut until now

Hahaha yeah its an animal of a thing. Real hard not to grab the 81 though its lighter than the 395.

Need a long bar for it now got a 5 foot or maybe 6 blue gum cumin up. Bit of a scary tree its a big sucker its right in a town ship and just fits if I put it in the right place its also got a little backwards lean on too.

All the big trees before the 800 has cut until now
Put a good rope in it for insurance.

I had a nice visit yesterday from a very nice lady who lives about 2 1/2 hrs.away in Syracuse,N.Y.She brought her Husky 440 that had gotten stuck in a pinch & left out in the rain for over 2 months.The recoil rope was broken & missing entirely.I put a new recoil rope in & got the sprocket freed up again at the end of the bar & stepped up the idle a tad.I really don't like working on those plastic throw away saws,so cheaply built.
As it turned out I found out that she's a very good friend of Buckin' Billy Ray & had him on a video chat on her phone while I worked on her saw.He asked me if I had a piston for an SP125,& of course I had to reply NO.
So I'm passing it along,I know the 125 pistons are very scarce,but if anyone has a lead on one I'd be greatly indebted (and so would Buckin' Billy Ray).
I might be able to find one for around $400.00 , Buckin can afford it!

Latest posts

Back