McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
North East Tennessee MAC Report

Beautiful day last Saturday in North East Tennessee. No MAC action for me, I spent six hours at the range with a county inmate dragging the prior Saturday's stems out of the woods.

Nice day to be inside today. High winds and rain. The morning was spent sharpening 16 chains, tinkering with the wood stove and other miscellaneous matters.

Afternoon found me in the garage with the SP40 on my workbench (a municipal issued garbage can). I found no leaks in the tank. The o ring wasn't very tight nor was the hose connection. After trying NAPA and Lowes, I ended up at Ace and bought a faucet o ring assuming it was rubber. Nice snug fit for the o ring and an okay fit for the fuel line after trimming the end. While trying to install the fuel line, I accidentally knocked the fuel tank off the bench with the bar. It busted big time when it hit the garage floor. Gas went everywhere. So, I removed and cleaned up the fuel tank from the 110 that Brian gave me. Put everything back together and filled it with fuel just to have a big-time leak from somewhere internal. I am just going to park the SP40 for now.

I then turn my attention to the 800's pinched bar. I have pinched and seriously bent several bars over the years and have always fixed them without much trouble, but I have never pinched or bend a Stihl bar until two Saturdays ago. I didn't think I was ever going to get the pinch open but finally did after a lot of hammering and prying.

Next project was the 800's chain brake. It seems that I am the only one on this forum that has issues with MAC's brake. If not, please speak up and share your fix, if you have one. The principal culprit for me is the pivot pin for the latch works loose which allows the latch to fire like it was on a hair trigger. In the past, I have replaced the pin and/or notched the lever among other things with little success trying to fix the problem on various chain brakes. Today, I took a different approach and took the pin out and dented the sides of the shaft with a chisel and I attempted to mushroom the end with a center punch. I then reinstalled it. It appears to be tight. Time will tell.

Be Safe,
Ron
Hi Ron,

Loctite makes some amazing retaining compounds. They are tough. Check out their website.
We used it on an sloppy bearing housing on a 1600 ton stamping press main drive shaft bearing. It solved the problem.

kid - It is a little hard to tell from the photos, is there an automatic oil pump on the top of the oil tank? If yes then it is a 740 or 790, the 795 and 797 had the lever operated DSP / compression release.

If there is no automatic oil pump the color scheme would suggest is it a 1-75 or 1-76.

Mark

Hi Ron,

Loctite makes some amazing retaining compounds. They are tough. Check out their website.
We used it on an sloppy bearing housing on a 1600 ton stamping press main drive shaft bearing. It solved the problem.
+1, having used it [620] on m/c wheel bearings loose in hub, bout .003 loose fit

Yesterday was spent tearing down a seized Mini Mac 25 hoping to find insulator tubes in the carb mounting screw holes.No insulator tubes on the MM 25.I need them for my PM6 (only need one).By time I was done with the MM it wasn't seized anymore,but the carb on it was a disaster - no adjusting needles,metering diaphragm stuck so bad it disintegrated,& heat insulator came off in pieces.About the only good parts on it are the coil,clutch,flywheel,& maybe the condenser.

My first recoil repair was on a 610.I couldn't figure out why it'd bind every now & then.I took the recoil off the saw & saw the pulley was cracked.I thought "no big deal,I'll just take the pulley off & replace it".Yeah,right,when I took the pulley off the spring stayed connected to the pulley & I had a mass of spaghetti with the spring & recoil rope all inter-twined.I ordered a new pulley from Bob,sorted out the spring & rope & put it all back together again.I was so proud of myself,Lol.

I found this in a barn a few weeks ago, it would spin over quite freely, even with the plug screwed in so I didn't have much hope other than a display.

20211213_152459.jpg

20211213_152531.jpg

20211213_152524.jpg

20211213_152514.jpg

I took it apart for a good cleaning.

20211213_154916.jpg

20211213_170656.jpg

On the plus side, someone had evidently taken it apart and put it all back together just finger tight so the head was loose. Everything looks to be in very good condition, the piston and cylinder and very nice, even the bearings are like new. I will see if I happen to have a set of rings on hand and put this back together with the intent of making it a runner. Then into the display to joint its kin.

20211103_192415.jpg

Mark

Back