McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you cant find any i would mesure the squish Before you take it apart then remove the cylinder take off the old gasket ,then bolt the cylinder back on and mesure the squish again . Once you figure out what was the thikness of the gasket buy a sheet of gasket material and cut one yourself
these are a clam shell saw
Get some gasket paper,hole punch and a small sharp knife.
I got a Fiskers finger knife from a sewing shop that works great for free handing gaskets

I asked the question about bike handel foan for the handel on my pro mac 60 a while ago. Well i decided to risk buying some online and the stuff i got actaully works really well. - Here - is the link to the posting i bought from but you can find the same stuff from other sellers.

I am not throwing stones, imitation is the most sincere form of flattery, but I was 3D printing those 10 Series sawdust screens months before ProLine decided to have them injection molded somewhere off shore.

The earliest ones in 2018 had round holes but they didn't come out very nicely with my printer so we changed them to the triangle shaped.

View attachment 961138

View attachment 961141

I sell mine for $12.50 + shipping. Currently the small flat rate box is $9.50 and I can put up to three in a box. I'll drop the price to $10 each for 2-3 or special pricing for greater quantities.

Mark
I'm just wondering if selling the CAD file for those of us very far away to print off ourselves could be an option? (But that's your intellectual property and you then have no control over how many are printed...)
Although I may need other parts from the US in which case I would get them all sent to our postal service's freight forwarding depot in Seattle and combine it all...

I need to rebuild the Carb on my PM 60 but after looking at the side im not sure how to clean th high and low. My side cover does not have any holes for adjustments ether so after its on the saw i can't see how i would mess with it. Am i missing something because this carb has me baffled.

Attachments

• IMG_20220131_223114.jpg
    10.3 MB · Views: 10
these are a clam shell saw
Get some gasket paper,hole punch and a small sharp knife.
I got a Fiskers finger knife from a sewing shop that works great for free handing gaskets
You are correct that none of the gaskets will change the squish unless someone swapped in a removable head motor, but a Super 797 is not a clam shell design nor is it a removeable cylinder design. The crank is inserted and removed from the side of the block.

Ron

Sorry to double-post , but I was referred here. PM805 crankcase damage when connecting rod broke.
- Sounds like finding a new cc is a needle in a haystack.
- Any comments on if this could be welded/fixed?

The cylinder wall is OK, but would need a new piston and connecting rod. That is all. Don't want to part-it-out b/c I have another 805 and may need the spare parts.

Attachments

• crankcase.jpg
    crankcase.jpg
    179 KB · Views: 13
Sorry to double-post , but I was referred here. PM805 crankcase damage when connecting rod broke.
- Sounds like finding a new cc is a needle in a haystack.
- Any comments on if this could be welded/fixed?

The cylinder wall is OK, but would need a new piston and connecting rod. That is all. Don't want to part-it-out b/c I have another 805 and may need the spare parts.
@srcarr52 does custom welding/repairs to old saws, I'd send him a pm and see what he says.

I need to rebuild the Carb on my PM 60 but after looking at the side im not sure how to clean th high and low. My side cover does not have any holes for adjustments ether so after its on the saw i can't see how i would mess with it. Am i missing something because this carb has me baffled.
Thats a fixed jet carb , which means you don't get to monkey with the high speed jet. Rebuild it to spec and its best to use a tachometer to see the upper RPM limit to verify specs. It should burble out of the cut and clean up in the cut.

Well im not able to upload videos of the sleeve. Too large of files. But i spent the last 2 evenings putting the engine back together. Tonight i finished it up and added fuel. I am very happy to say that the saw fired right up and idled just fine. Thats the second cylinder that ran fine. It has great compression, idles, oils normal etc. If you didnt know youd never guess that this saw had a iron liner in there. Ill be testing it another day. Im gonna "break" this one in slow and steady rather than running it hard. Ive got 2 more cylinders to get done. Ill have 3 extra sleeved cylinders to hoard. Such a great project. I hope he can help anyone and everyone else if they are interested. Please by all means if you are let me know and ill be happy to get you in touch with the guy. So exciting. Ill post some photos here.

20220201_201155.jpg20220201_201356.jpg20220201_201414.jpg

The sleeve set for cutting out transfers.

Heating the cylinder before pressing it in place.

Pressing the sleeve in place.

Once its been pressed in, then the intake and exhaust are cut out once set up in the next jig. Then the compression is drilled out. Last step is to drill 2 small holes and tap them for 2 set screws to assure the sleeve stays put. The set screws are not tapped clear through so they cannot work into the cylinder. They are threadlocked to stay put. If they were to loosen they can only fall out. Not in.

Are original dust guards hard to find? I prefer original parts where possible but if that design was too fragile I guess I could make an exception for a newer design.
Expensive and hard to find.

While Mark was working on his design, I was working on mine. I gave my only remaining NOS one to the fellow doing the work - he lost it. I have two of Mark's originals. They are very robust. The later NOS parts seem to be really flimsy. Kind of sad given they probably cost pennies to produce. One twice as strong would have probably added less than two cents to the cost.

The old 3-piece ones seem strong though I don't know how they actually held up in the field. I bought several of them when I was experimenting.

Ron

Excellent, Vinny. You should set up a YouTube channel for for vids. Super simple. If you have a Gmail account, you basically already have a YouTube channel.

So are you integrating the Mac spec taper into the sleeve also? Seems like that aspect would be a bit complicated. I'm also curious about how the transfers are cut into the sleeve..., or how the transfers are transferred to do the cutting.

I play a manual machinist on tv, and I think that is excellent work. I wondered how you guys would keep the tranfers located Precisely. Good work.
I seriously doubt that the set screws will walk out with lock tight. Consider this (maybe the next one) if the set screw are reseeded in the head you could leave the Allen wrench in the set screw, and fill the remaining threads with loctite and let cure. Not that you would ever have to, but to get the set screw out use a botteming tap the clean out the threads.

My 2 cents for extra piece of mind.
Eric R.

Latest posts

Back