McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rescued another Mac today. Found an ad on CL for 2 saws and a blower for $25. The Mac ended up being a real nice pro Mac 60. It was the guys father inlaws saw. He said it's been in storage for 35 yrs. Looks like a nice low use saw. I've never had a pm60 before, how do they go? View attachment 974863View attachment 974865
How common was it for other 10 series models to have the upper half of the fuel tank painted black and the lower painted yellow?
Most pictures of Pro Mac 60s I have seen show this and Pro Mac 55s tend to be the same except with a yellow air filter cover.
I have also seen some "Mac 10-10 Automatic"s with black above, yellow below.

How common was it for other 10 series models to have the upper half of the fuel tank painted black and the lower painted yellow?
Most pictures of Pro Mac 60s I have seen show this and Pro Mac 55s tend to be the same except with a yellow air filter cover.
I have also seen some "Mac 10-10 Automatic"s with black above, yellow below.
Common as far as the models that you mentioned. But sometimes a different color air cleaner on say the big frame saws denotes a Super series.

That saw has an auto oiler, no question. To see if its working just take off the clutch cover, bar and bar plates. Start it up and see if oil is coming out of the little hole just above the bar studs in the indentation. If it does its working. If it does not then you may have an issue.
You are correct, I pulled the bar off and ran it and there is oil coming out the hole, thanks for the help.

Chrome is chipped off in places. Bad?

Many have (and do) run much worse. But yes, chipping and peeling are conditions that can deteriorate rapidly compared to 'wear' which is actually quite common over time in chrome bores. I'd say what you have there is a judgement call depending on how it may clean up with a modest effort and how much additional plating comes off in the process. If it smooths out and you don't lose much more, I'd say run it.

There's two ways of looking at 60cc top ends not just growing on trees. Either run what ya got, or don't. You may never find another one either way.

Do any of the sellers on eBay offer a good quality gasket set for the 10 series saws? It's hard to tell quality by the pictures. Any experiences and recommendations are appreciated.

Sent from my moto g(7) optimo maxx(XT1955DL) using Tapatalk

Do any of the sellers on eBay offer a good quality gasket set for the 10 series saws?
I've been happy with the gaskets and prices from gotfishon, though I have needed to double up on a couple stubborn 10 series fuel cap leaks. Good thing I bought 20.

I got one of the 82cc saws from the truckload running yesterday.
The tag says 600439D-14, which doesn't mean much. it could have been from another saw.
The tag mod # says it's a SP81E, but I thought they were not Q ports.
This one is a Q port. It has no holes on the right side of the cylinder for mounting a muffler, if that's a clue.
So, any good guesses to what model I have or any more clues to look for.
Clint

The tag says 600439D-14, which doesn't mean much. it could have been from another saw.
This one is a Q port. It has no holes on the right side of the cylinder for mounting a muffler, if that's a clue.
Clint
Ah yet another frankenmac ??????

Clint

800 805 850 super de80. Or could be 8200
Chrome is chipped off in places. Bad?

View attachment 975609

Just run it man I got a 7-10 way worse than that. Yours looks good in the compression area

I've been happy with the gaskets and prices from gotfishon

Thanks! It looks like more sellers are making gasket kits for the 10 series saws. I see LRB has a kit now that I haven't seen before. It's nice to have options. I've read somewhere that some sellers will laser cut gaskets and some die cut. I wonder if laser cut gaskets are just as good or does the heat of the laser burn and dry out the material and make it brittle.

Sent from my moto g(7) optimo maxx(XT1955DL) using Tapatalk

The 8200 is a good bet. I found five 8200 air filter covers in the bunch.
The 8200 has a modern three piece crank and rod with single needle cage bearing and 'floating' wrist pin secured by circlips. But trust me, the clips are more for show than function from my experience -- at least without some heat to expand the pin bosses for removing the pin without a press. They are also nearly impossible to remove without notching the boss for slipping a pic underneath to pop them, or at least one) out. A helper and third hand is an alternative, but expect some bleeding from errant (and frustrated) pic pokes along the way.

0314171448_resized.jpg

0401171313a.jpg

0404171809.jpg

Here's a PM8200 IPL that may come in handy if you're faced with a few of em. You won't find pistons for em, so save what you have to re-condition and re-use if possible. That's what I had to do with mine -- or pay $90 up front for the 'possibility' of getting one through a dealer near me -- who was getting them from Bob Johnson anyway. Didn't know of him back then, myself.

There should be one bracket attachment point on the cylinder for the canister style muffler.

Attachments

• Pro Mac 8200 Aug 1992.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 1

Latest posts

Back