McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It might be tricky as 99 percent are broken n gone. You might have to just have a go with some cardboard n sus it out
Just a question, and maybe a possible source for reed material. The idea just occurred to me that buying an inexpensive feeler gauge set, might yield a lot of reed material with just the right amount of spring. I have never had to replace reed in a saw, but I have in a couple of compressors that I owned.

Just a question, and maybe a possible source for reed material. The idea just occurred to me that buying an inexpensive feeler gauge set, might yield a lot of reed material with just the right amount of spring. I have never had to replace reed in a saw, but I have in a couple of compressors that I owned.

It's quite big compared to a feeler gauge

It's quite big compared to a feeler gauge
Does anyone have any ideas about where a person could source suitable raw material to make reeds? All the reeds in my reed saws are in good condition, but knowing where I could find the right material would be good information to have, in the event I am able to pick up another saw with a broken reed.

Does anyone have any ideas about where a person could source suitable raw material to make reeds? All the reeds in my reed saws are in good condition, but knowing where I could find the right material would be good information to have, in the event I am able to pick up another saw with a broken reed.
Flat spring steel is available sizes, or cheaper for various cut off pieces.

It has to be one of the "L" shaped mufflers as a minimum, but ideally from one of the 70cc saws. The 70 cc models have deeper fins for better cooling and so the simple pancake mufflers from the smaller 10's won't fit, and the 82cc saws have a pattern all their own.

Also keep in mind that the mufflers intended for the DSP saws (3-10 DSP, 5-10, 6-10, and early 7-10) will have an extra hole in the back (against the cylinder) that lines up with the vent off the DSP valve)

View attachment 1004877

Mark

The answers you provide to my/our misinformation is much better than I could have provided! Lol

It's twigged on me that we we're talking about the exhaust reed. Intake reeds be a hole nother drum of lobsters. I do have some old carbon reeds from my RM250 that could be cut up to fit.

I just finished up with the PM850.The compression test came in at 150.I trust the guy on the reading,I bought a PM55 from him back in the winter at a good price & it turned out to be a great running saw,one of my favorite go to saws.
I was just looking at the pics of the saw & it has no chain brake or clutch cover on it.It doesn't even look like it has bar plates.This might be a deal breaker.

Thanks Mark, I'm in NZ and just ordered a few parts to get my PM 700 back up and working OK. It has a broken muffler on it already, but with the parts I am getting (from ebay in the US and via my sister who lives in Atlanta) I will be able to try out both the reed and reedless versions.
I'm currently amassing a package of parts from Mark and elsewhere using YouShop (NZ Post) but the postage and GST is still gonna kill me.
I forgot to get an air filter cover for my (possible) PM60, hopefully something turns up around here.

I'm currently amassing a package of parts from Mark and elsewhere using YouShop (NZ Post) but the postage and GST is still gonna kill me.
I forgot to get an air filter cover for my (possible) PM60, hopefully something turns up around here.

I've got a spare 7-10 lid which will fit

Back