McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow that's cool :)
I don't see the noise an issue. It's a chainsaw they are loud. Ya wear ear protection anyway.

Funny story we were at workmates 1 night a few beers were on and needed a pellet cut up for a bit of quick wood for the garage fire. My mate has a 700 I convinced him he needed and he made me run it as I was the Mac guy and the most sober.

Anyway the youngest guy there 18 apprentice towney kid was always asking when can I use a chainsaw c'mon c'mon let me use the saw and of course there's no way in hell I'm letting a half drunk kid use the saw it's dark and bla bla just no. Anyway he's all like yup yup. Until.... I start the 700 lol lol I've never seen him run so damn fast he shot off down the drive like a cat with its tail on fire holding his ears Hahahaha. Poor kid thought he was the man until the that big scary old mac went pop pop.

He's still scared of chainsaws )
Yep they’re a man’s saw. Loud isn’t an issue, my Super 250 and 550 are testaments to that!

ts - remember that this is a tracing using a ball point pen so the actual part is slightly smaller, holes slightly larger...

Mark
Thanks Mark, I'm in NZ and just ordered a few parts to get my PM 700 back up and working OK. It has a broken muffler on it already, but with the parts I am getting (from ebay in the US and via my sister who lives in Atlanta) I will be able to try out both the reed and reedless versions. It does run, so I know what it sounds like with the broken muffler - very, very, loud!

When I got the saw it had a homemade 'tin can thing' to try and reduce the volume.. I have got a full gasket set, clip for the automatic oil pump, sprocket and bearing in the post somewhere... . I'm looking forward to getting it running without throwing oil everywhere.

20220705_115050.jpg20220706_131532.jpg

Yeah about 7 min away :) I'm in makikihi
Waituna! I have had the saw just a few weeks. I get firewood logs from Laurie Forestry - a tractor/trailer lasts 3 - 4 years. I am just at the end of bucking the last lot with a Stihl MS 230C with a 14" bar which has really struggled with some of the larger logs, so I thought I'd get a bigger saw. As you know the price of chainsaws here is high. I got this off FB marketplace from Waimate for $150 NZD as a runner - a little more than I wanted, but no postage. I figured that if I have to spend a couple of hundred dollars in getting it running well then I am still up compared to most other saws. I knew nothing about vintage saws until a few weeks ago. My sister lives in the USA so it is quite easy for me to get parts shipped to her first. The saw leaked oil (thanks to Mark's 10-10 oil thread I know how to fix that) and petrol (new gaskets and carb overhaul kit ordered), has a broken muffler and worn sproket (parts all ordered). It's quite a nice little project and with a 20" bar and full profile 3/8 chain, should do well on the next set of logs I get.

Waituna! I have had the saw just a few weeks. I get firewood logs from Laurie Forestry - a tractor/trailer lasts 3 - 4 years. I am just at the end of bucking the last lot with a Stihl MS 230C with a 14" bar which has really struggled with some of the larger logs, so I thought I'd get a bigger saw. As you know the price of chainsaws here is high. I got this off FB marketplace from Waimate for $150 NZD as a runner - a little more than I wanted, but no postage. I figured that if I have to spend a couple of hundred dollars in getting it running well then I am still up compared to most other saws. I knew nothing about vintage saws until a few weeks ago. My sister lives in the USA so it is quite easy for me to get parts shipped to her first. The saw leaked oil (thanks to Mark's 10-10 oil thread I know how to fix that) and petrol (new gaskets and carb overhaul kit ordered), has a broken muffler and worn sproket (parts all ordered). It's quite a nice little project and with a 20" bar and full profile 3/8 chain, should do well on the next set of logs I get.
Welcome to the vintage saw world :)

That's the best way for wood I reckon. Alot of work in bushy messy nz trees. Keen with that little saw though.

Sounds like your well on your way to sorting that old beast out.

The old Mac will do that job no worries

I find we actually get it pretty good for saws when ya look at what people pay on here.

Example a nice 300 year anniversary 268xp sold on trade me for $260nzd I'm pretty confident you wouldn't find it for $162us in the states unless was a real you suck deal. Certainly not on AS

It has to be one of the "L" shaped mufflers as a minimum, but ideally from one of the 70cc saws. The 70 cc models have deeper fins for better cooling and so the simple pancake mufflers from the smaller 10's won't fit, and the 82cc saws have a pattern all their own.

Also keep in mind that the mufflers intended for the DSP saws (3-10 DSP, 5-10, 6-10, and early 7-10) will have an extra hole in the back (against the cylinder) that lines up with the vent off the DSP valve)

20210311_154156.jpg

Mark

I've come across a very nice looking PM850 & the seller is asking $300 + shipping,which won't be cheap since he's on the west coast.He's supposed to get back to me with a compression reading later today.According to the seller it'll need a carb rebuild & a new fuel line too.
Is $300 a good price on the 850?I've seen them go for substantially more on Feebay.

That and a 21 lb. Power head on the large frame Macs. My 700 weighs the same as my 372xp Husky with a 28” bar. Needless to say I don’t throw em around every day any more!
I've come across a very nice looking PM850 & the seller is asking $300 + shipping,which won't be cheap since he's on the west coast.He's supposed to get back to me with a compression reading later today.According to the seller it'll need a carb rebuild & a new fuel line too.
Is $300 a good price on the 850?I've seen them go for substantially more on Feebay.
All about overall condition of saw and engine situation , but yea that’s a decent price if it legit.

I know heimannm has a lot of McCulloch Chain Saws, as well as myself, I was wondering if anybody else has a few McCullochs in their collection of Chain Saws, and are they for work, or for display. Thanks for your input. Bruce.
I have a small bouquet of MsCulloch saws. Some are real antiques such as, a 1-40, D30, 10-10, and more, to a couple of Pro Mack 81s. They are all in running condition, with the exception that one of the Pro Macs is missing the black top cover plate.
I have not been doing any falling, or firewood cutting, so the only saws I have needed to use lately are my smaller saws. I have several candidates to draw from, starting with my Homelite XL-1 and an Echo 320cs, Shindaiwa 480 (I can't tell for sure, but runs .325 chain), and a Husky 480. I still have lots of larger Stihl and Husky saws, so if I did want to mill some wood or fall a larger tree, there are many options available to me.
I love the sound of the reed valve Macs, they have a real bark.

Well those of you who frequent here know about my Uncle, and that his heart is all but shot. He tore down and painted an early SP 81 back in the fall. I sent the block off to US chrome, and ordered NOS parts from Bob J. The jug was back to Bob in late January, then Bob got sick. And the parts sat. I wanted badly to get the SP81 together for him. I searched for other jugs no one had any that I could locate as I searched Uncle took a turn for the worse and went into the hospital. The doctors told him he would not leave it alive. A week later Bob J had a heart attack the same day he was packing my parts. I got a call from Bobs family. And they were kind enough to box everything and ship them to me. As the parts were in the mail a miracle happened my Uncle came home. He was weak but in good spirits. When the parts came I took them to him to show him. I asked him then if he wanted me to build the SP 81, He said no not yet, he wanted to assist. Weeks past, day by day he got stronger, last week he was able to go down the stairs to his shop. Today I went down there with him and he sat on a stool and supervised the beginning of the SP 81 build. He even got up and turned down a boIt on his small lathe. It was a wonderful feeling, and a wonderful day. I am a blessed man!
Well those of you who frequent here know about my Uncle, and that his heart is all but shot. He tore down and painted an early SP 81 back in the fall. I sent the block off to US chrome, and ordered NOS parts from Bob J. The jug was back to Bob in late January, then Bob got sick. And the parts sat. I wanted badly to get the SP81 together for him. I searched for other jugs no one had any that I could locate as I searched Uncle took a turn for the worse and went into the hospital. The doctors told him he would not leave it alive. A week later Bob J had a heart attack the same day he was packing my parts. I got a call from Bobs family. And they were kind enough to box everything and ship them to me. As the parts were in the mail a miracle happened my Uncle came home. He was weak but in good spirits. When the parts came I took them to him to show him. I asked him then if he wanted me to build the SP 81, He said no not yet, he wanted to assist. Weeks past, day by day he got stronger, last week he was able to go down the stairs to his shop. Today I went down there with him and he sat on a stool and supervised the beginning of the SP 81 build. He even got up and turned down a boIt on his small lathe. It was a wonderful feeling, and a wonderful day. I am a blessed man!

Uncles SP 81 start .jpg
View attachment uncle on the mini lave.mov

Latest posts

Back