McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What i did mark was took the screen and set it on a socket, likely 1/2" 5 point socket. Then i took a 1/4" socket extension and pushed down on the screen so that it concaved the screen a bit into the socket. Then i took the screen with the bulge facing outward and pushed it and wrangled it into the groove of the pickup tube. Once in the groove, i just used my finger and gently flattened it out as best i could by pressing it in its center. Ive successfully done that a few times. If i can this evening ill video me doing that. Ive got a used one i can mess with.

Hey Vinny, you mention in your video about putting the screen in the oil line...I'd like to see a video of that. I have more than a few without the screen (I have screens on hand) but I have not found a reliable method for getting the screens in place.

Mark
I second that! buggers are a pain.

But hey for some reason I cant explain I fought a PM850 clutch brake reassembly for 30 minutes today LOL.

Nice video on the oil screen Vinny!

I've got an issue with the recoil on my 850.If I tighten down all 3 screws on the cover,it binds up & won't retract.Earlier today I puled the recoil apart hoping to find the cause,but was unsuccessful.I even measured the screws to make sure they aren't too long (what that has to do with the price of eggs I have no idea,Lol).The pulley isn't warped that I could detect.If the rope is too heavy could that cause it to bind?

Nice video on the oil screen Vinny!

I've got an issue with the recoil on my 850.If I tighten down all 3 screws on the cover,it binds up & won't retract.Earlier today I puled the recoil apart hoping to find the cause,but was unsuccessful.I even measured the screws to make sure they aren't too long (what that has to do with the price of eggs I have no idea,Lol).The pulley isn't warped that I could detect.If the rope is too heavy could that cause it to bind?
look for a crack in the recoil housing. I had a 10-10 same way. Finally found a hairline crack it the recoil housing.It was compressing when I tightened it down. I hope this is not the case for you.

Vinny - brilliant, thank you. Now to make a die and a punch to properly shape those screens before pressing them into place.

Ed - if you can, compare the starter shaft on that saw with one from another smaller 10 Series saw. The starters on the PM800 type saws is longer and would cause the kind of problems you are decribing.

Mark

I am not familiar with all of the patterns McCulloch used, but if you know which model of saw you require a bar for, you can find the required bar pattern by looking at the link in the bottom of the specifications page for the appropriate saw.
With a little creative grinding, I have modified a Husqvarna .404 bar to work on one of my McCulloch saws. I picked up the trick on the internet.
Acres internet chainsaw database.

http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.nsf/GasbyManufacturer?OpenView&Start=1&Count=1000&Expand=86#86

I'm far from an expert, but three brands that I know that used 3/8 were Pioneer Pro saws, Solo and some older Homelites. That being said, those saws generally had closed ends, not open ends (although there have been a lot of bars made over the years, and as stated I'm not an expert). Bars I know that have had open ends are Echo and Stih but those are smaller bars usually. Good luck and I hope you can get it to work for you.

I am not familiar with all of the patterns McCulloch used, but if you know which model of saw you require a bar for, you can find the required bar pattern by looking at the link in the bottom of the specifications page for the appropriate saw.

Thanks for that, it shows this pattern for the 10-series saws I looked up:
Bar Mount Pattern 11.png

Well gang,as you may know,I've been having an issue with my PM850 recoil not wanting to retract the rope when the screws on the cover arer tightened down.I had a phone copnversation with a felow member here last night & he gave me some good advice.Today I pulled the cover off the recoil & had an a ha moment when I saw a ring that was being worn into the cover by the knot of an over-sized rope that was sticking out of the pulley.I ended up pulling that rope out & putting a smaller size rope in it,put it back together,along with a new sawdust screen from Mark Herimann & it works just as good as a new one now.I'm putting up some pics so you can see what was going on.

Attachments

• thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 0
  • thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 0
  • thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back