McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Huh, did you say something about shocks from a stack muffler? Speak a little louder.

I had my hearing tested a few weeks ago. I was asked if I had been exposed to loud noises as a kid. Both ears exhibited a classic noise “notch” which is attributed to early exposure to loud noises. I didn’t know MACs were noisy at the time - just revolvers and jets breaking the sound barrier. Too bad, no do-overs and the damage is done.

Ron

I was looking at some old photos I have and it appears there is one of the old mufflers that fit the more modern saws, but I don't know where it came from. All of the IPL's for the old one man saws call out for 19027 as the gasket. The muffler center, top row is from the 33/35/39 saws and they generally seem to hold up very well. May be the old mix at 16:1 left a protective coating in the muffler...

View attachment 1021646

View attachment 1021647

Mark
Bottom left is a stainless variant off a CP125, isn't it?

It's funny but theres a fine line with the timing, some of my 10-10s were a little lazy so I used every bit of slop to get any advance I could. Really helped with the throttle response.
I have a 10-10 that I felt was lacking spunk, and I am going to give that a try. I also have a 10-10 Automatic, and it seems to have more power.

Terrible picture, but here is what I have for a muffler housing. I'm just now getting to this saw so haven't cleaned it up much. It does have great spark and fires right off with fuel down the carb. Inside fuel tank including original felt fuel line look great as well.20221004_223712.jpg

"Bottom left is a stainless variant off a CP125, isn't it?"

The CP muffler would have three mounting screws, and use the band type clamp.

View attachment 1021911

That shiny one is probably from a 1-52 or 1-53 as they were the premium saw of the day.

Mark
Huh, my CP125 probably has a muffler off a 1-52 or 1-53 then. It has a two-piece, clampless, baffle-less, stainless muffler with only two mounting screws on it currently, hence my guess.

Well i got some mac time in today. Ran a tank thru my g70. A little fine tuning and it did well. Heavy little thing. Id hate for that to be my only saw to use. It cut well and faster than i expected. It has .404 chain and 24 inch hard nose bar. Cut up some maple. But it performed pretty darn good.

Then i put half a tank or better thru a sleeved 82cc sp saw. It cut with lots of grunt and had plenty of speed.....i think i have an air leak 🙄🙄. It seems to be searching a little. On its side it will pick up a bit...darn it. Another day.....but it started and ran well for me other than that hiccup. Firewood season has begun!!! Tomorrow i think ill grab a 70 or 57cc.

Back