McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A later PM700.
Chuck em on. Should work

Speaking of a 700.... My neighbor needed a saw to finish a log. ( He ran out of gas and was afraid to use mine! - only funny because he constantly comes to me for advice on saws)
I gave him my older 700.
When he came back he says " thanks a lot!!!"
I asked what happened, puzzled because it's one of my best saws.
He said it was fine just fine. The problem is I don't like my saw anymore!!
That's awesome:)

Syncop8r, try pushing the choke button in an rotating it counter clockwise. Some of the Bullfrog to Tillotson carb conversion kits had this feature. I have a 5-10 that does.

Thanks mate, someone else pointed that out to me back when I first posted about it a year ago so I dispensed with my wire modification.
The carb on mine is a Tillotson HS-43D.

Well I'll be...
View attachment 932986
:crazy2:

With the right hand start saws, it's easier if the saw is resting on a log, then hold the rear handle with your left hand while pushing the button down.
I have one with the RH starter, and I can't believe how awkward I am starting the damn thing. I also have a center pull, which is a little easier for me to handle. It is just a matter of firing them up often enough that I become familiar with the process.

Syncop8r, try pushing the choke button in an rotating it counter clockwise. Some of the Bullfrog to Tillotson carb conversion kits had this feature. I have a 5-10 that does.
I also have a couple of saws with this feature. Mine have a little pin protruding from the side of the button, that is meant to be turned to lock the choke in the closed position.

I'm looking for a round muffler cover for an old Super 44. I'm just curious what other models use the same muffler, is it the same as used on many of the later large frame 80cc/87cc Macs? Just trying to broaden my search.

I've got some of the 1-40 thru 1-50 series, probably about 6 total that are good runners that I've restored.
One I think is a 1-43 with very low hours and I have several of the OEM papers that Mac issued with this saw when new And the Original OWNERS MANUAL and think maybe a receipt of the price when purchased. I'm the 2nd owner. 1st owner was a crosscut saw guy, one man and two man crosscuts and double bit axes. He never could figure out how to start his new saw consistently with out straining lots so it was not used very much, he just used and preferred his crosscut's and axe's. He did lots of log skidding with his mules.
He was a good stout nice old timer and passed on lots of good useful type info to me as a grasshopper.

44/55, 44a/55a saws and the 1-70/80 are all the same round two screw mount mufflers.

1-71/81 on up were normally a rectangular muffler, and most were affixed with three screws but I can't say exactly where the three screw mounts begin.

Some of the 250, 300, and 380 saws also came with round, two screw mount mufflers, these were the type with the band clamp.

The 33/35/39 model saws also had a two screw mounted round muffler but I think they may have been taller/wider than the multi-piece round mufflers used on many of the large frame saws.

The Super 44a IPL's show a very sophisticated multi-piece cast square shaped muffler. I am not sure if I have every actually seen one of those.

1664845728874.png

Mark

Even with all those models to search, having a hard time finding round muffler cover. There seems to be a lot of the simple stack style mufflers available. Out of curiosity I'm guessing those would bolt up to a 44 as well? Just thinking in the meantime something on there is better than nothing.

How about muffler off a 3-25? It looks slightly different, it uses 2 through bolts to hold cover on and bolt muffler flange to cylinder instead of small screws on mount flange and separate screws/nuts to hold cover on like 44 originally had. If bolt spacing is same it should work though...s-l400.jpg

The two man saws, old saws, and large frame saws all were two bolt for the exhaust flange but the size/spacing were different. The two man were the largest (11037), old saws (3-25, 4-30, 47, 49, 73, 77 - 19027) were larger than the more modern front tank and top tank saws (36093). The stack would be a direct bolt on replacement. I have plenty of NOS and used stacks if you can't find one locally.

20221004_080248.jpg

Mark

I was looking at some old photos I have and it appears there is one of the old mufflers that fit the more modern saws, but I don't know where it came from. All of the IPL's for the old one man saws call out for 19027 as the gasket. The muffler center, top row is from the 33/35/39 saws and they generally seem to hold up very well. May be the old mix at 16:1 left a protective coating in the muffler...

DSCN4109.JPG

DSCN4095.JPG

Mark

I'll have to get a pic of my muffler housing and post tonight. I think it looks like the chrome one in the bottom left. And that flange appears wider spaced than the 2 from more modern saws on right side of photo.

Latest posts

Back