McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
North East Tennessee MAC Report

Beautiful day this past Saturday in North East Tennessee. I haven't reported in a while due to the lack of MAC action. Last time we reported, Brian was in short sleeves. This Saturday was a long underwear day for me. We are still at the range doing more gathering than cutting.

Three Saturdays back, Brian wasn't feeling well so I loaded logs alone. I started early with big plans to get three loads to the lot. Blew a tire on the first load and limped to a convenience store to call for help. Thank GOD for run flats and a good turn out at the wood lot. Five guys with three trailers and a skid steer arrived. We off-loaded and halved each log in the parking lot.
IMG_7344.JPG

As I have posted before on AS, I only recall my father teaching me two things about cutting wood - #1 never stand in the line of a chainsaw bar and #2 never unnecessarily walk beside a loaded log truck. Heeding #1 probably saved my life 40 years ago when a kickback sent a 1-62 bow saw over my head. Not heeding #2 almost got me killed in the parking lot when the top large ash rolled off the truck as I unclipped the last strap.

After we loaded the trailers, we lifted the truck and chained the middle axle to the frame and limped it back to the wood lot where crippled it still sits. I returned to the range and bucked the log pile to trailer length. The guys returned with the trailers and by day's end I had met my goal.

Dead red oak cut to trailer length.
IMG_7349.JPG

The following Saturday the forecast was for 2" of rains so I made no plans with Brian to cut. I went to the range to pickup my 379# previous flat tire and wheel. While waiting for the rain I gathered a few logs. The rain turned out to be a drizzle so I was able to gather a few more logs and fell several trees including a nice size dead ash..

Some of the gathered logs.
IMG_7358.JPG

End of the day dead Ash.
IMG_7360.JPG

When checking out for the day, I was told that they would like me to cut a large live red Oak the next time I was out. Goodie, I have some fresh wood for the 800. In anticipation, I got up early this past Saturday to put a DSP in the 800. I never found the old one. I also didn't find any old ones in my boxes of parts saws so with great reluctance I took one from my stash of NOS valves. Following MS' example, I lathered it with red Locktite only to find that the block was stripped. So much for using the 800. I tossed the off-brand in the truck. Given the temperature, the 6.2 diesel didn't want to crank. One end of the connecting cable between the batteries melted in the process dripping molten lead on the battery. So everything had to be moved to my regular truck - all eating into good work time. I was able to fell two nice size live red Oaks and load out two trailers by 12:30.

The first red Oak.
IMG_7367.JPG
I thought I had parked my truck out of harm's way. It suffered only a few scratches on the bed.
IMG_7368.JPG
Too bad much of the top of this tree was rotten in the center.

Second red Oak.
IMG_7371.JPG
It produced a great firewood log 48' 8". Close to 30" on the stump end and 20" at the other end. It was dripping water at the cuts - really heavy at 9000# per the calculator. I was surprised when the little crawler didn't break a sweat dragging it out in 2nd gear. It made 5 nice logs.
IMG_7372.JPG
Before the day was out, Brian and I sent two more trailer loads to the wood lot. With the above pile left for another day.

As to MAC action, I felled a 32" dead red Oak snag with Brian's 800. Unfortunately it was worthless as firewood. Later Brian used his beloved 1010S to fell dead Ash while I loaded trailers. After a while I didn't hear the familiar crackle so I drove up to check on him. I found him sitting in the middle of the road with his 1010S partially disassembled on top of an Ash he had felled. Somehow that torquey little saw had broken the spider in the clutch.

Be safe,
Ron

After living now 35 years I see more n more how lucky you older blokes are to be still around.

The log pile had a go at me on Sunday.

Was rolling a big 1 off the top and as it came down it spat a smaller 1 out just on 1 end and promptly steered the big 1 straight at me.

Got away with it but man life is precarious

I'm going to throw out a very no doubt divided opinion here but....

I know obviously many candidates for this title.
It has got to be top 5 for sure but....

I reckon the SP81 is Mac's finest saw.
Have to say liking the 125 then the Sp81 👍

Attachments

• D2AF2F28-1E24-45A2-BB46-375D1653BF0E.jpeg
    D2AF2F28-1E24-45A2-BB46-375D1653BF0E.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
North East Tennessee MAC Report

Beautiful day this past Saturday in North East Tennessee. I haven't reported in a while due to the lack of MAC action. Last time we reported, Brian was in short sleeves. This Saturday was a long underwear day for me. We are still at the range doing more gathering than cutting.

Three Saturdays back, Brian wasn't feeling well so I loaded logs alone. I started early with big plans to get three loads to the lot. Blew a tire on the first load and limped to a convenience store to call for help. Thank GOD for run flats and a good turn out at the wood lot. Five guys with three trailers and a skid steer arrived. We off-loaded and halved each log in the parking lot.
View attachment 1033970

As I have posted before on AS, I only recall my father teaching me two things about cutting wood - #1 never stand in the line of a chainsaw bar and #2 never unnecessarily walk beside a loaded log truck. Heeding #1 probably saved my life 40 years ago when a kickback sent a 1-62 bow saw over my head. Not heeding #2 almost got me killed in the parking lot when the top large ash rolled off the truck as I unclipped the last strap.

After we loaded the trailers, we lifted the truck and chained the middle axle to the frame and limped it back to the wood lot where crippled it still sits. I returned to the range and bucked the log pile to trailer length. The guys returned with the trailers and by day's end I had met my goal.

Dead red oak cut to trailer length.
View attachment 1033975

The following Saturday the forecast was for 2" of rains so I made no plans with Brian to cut. I went to the range to pickup my 379# previous flat tire and wheel. While waiting for the rain I gathered a few logs. The rain turned out to be a drizzle so I was able to gather a few more logs and fell several trees including a nice size dead ash..

Some of the gathered logs.
View attachment 1033976

End of the day dead Ash.
View attachment 1033978

When checking out for the day, I was told that they would like me to cut a large live red Oak the next time I was out. Goodie, I have some fresh wood for the 800. In anticipation, I got up early this past Saturday to put a DSP in the 800. I never found the old one. I also didn't find any old ones in my boxes of parts saws so with great reluctance I took one from my stash of NOS valves. Following MS' example, I lathered it with red Locktite only to find that the block was stripped. So much for using the 800. I tossed the off-brand in the truck. Given the temperature, the 6.2 diesel didn't want to crank. One end of the connecting cable between the batteries melted in the process dripping molten lead on the battery. So everything had to be moved to my regular truck - all eating into good work time. I was able to fell two nice size live red Oaks and load out two trailers by 12:30.

The first red Oak.
View attachment 1033983
I thought I had parked my truck out of harm's way. It suffered only a few scratches on the bed.
View attachment 1033984
Too bad much of the top of this tree was rotten in the center.

Second red Oak.
View attachment 1033985
It produced a great firewood log 48' 8". Close to 30" on the stump end and 20" at the other end. It was dripping water at the cuts - really heavy at 9000# per the calculator. I was surprised when the little crawler didn't break a sweat dragging it out in 2nd gear. It made 5 nice logs.
View attachment 1033986
Before the day was out, Brian and I sent two more trailer loads to the wood lot. With the above pile left for another day.

As to MAC action, I felled a 32" dead red Oak snag with Brian's 800. Unfortunately it was worthless as firewood. Later Brian used his beloved 1010S to fell dead Ash while I loaded trailers. After a while I didn't hear the familiar crackle so I drove up to check on him. I found him sitting in the middle of the road with his 1010S partially disassembled on top of an Ash he had felled. Somehow that torquey little saw had broken the spider in the clutch.

Be safe,
Ron

Jesus , Ron if it wasn't for bad luck......
Sorry to hear about the threads in the 800.
I had Shaun Carr weld some stuff for me a while ago, (future Mac builds) and he went above and beyond to get the very difficult spots welded right.

Jesus , Ron if it wasn't for bad luck......
Sorry to hear about the threads in the 800.
I had Shaun Carr weld some stuff for me a while ago, (future Mac builds) and he went above and beyond to get the very difficult spots welded right.
I’m not too worried about it. I will either timesert it or plug it as the threads extend beyond the length of the DSP nipple. I have had success with inserts in exhaust mounting holes that had similarly wallowed out from vibration.

Thanks for the reference,

Ron

The carb woes continue on the 5-10.I put the SDC65 on today & it turned out to be a turd,it'll only fire on a prime.I've got about a half dozen carbs now that are turds.They're getting sent out to be worked on.

I ended up pulling the needles out of the SDC2 & putting them in the SDC18 even though they're about 1/8 in.longer.I didn't force anything,just till lightly seated,then backed out 1 1/4 turns.If the saw runs,fine,but if not the original needles will be swapped back in.

After living now 35 years I see more n more how lucky you older blokes are to be still around.

The log pile had a go at me on Sunday.

Was rolling a big 1 off the top and as it came down it spat a smaller 1 out just on 1 end and promptly steered the big 1 straight at me.

Got away with it but man life is precarious

No doubt, cutting and handling wood is risky business. Saturday, Brian was struck by flying debris while felling. Fortunately, he saw it coming and turn away taking the blow with his arm and shoulder. He had me worried for a bit when he was telling me this until I realized that he was on the ground using a stem as a work bench.

Ron

The carb woes continue on the 5-10.I put the SDC65 on today & it turned out to be a turd,it'll only fire on a prime.I've got about a half dozen carbs now that are turds.They're getting sent out to be worked on.

I ended up pulling the needles out of the SDC2 & putting them in the SDC18 even though they're about 1/8 in.longer.I didn't force anything,just till lightly seated,then backed out 1 1/4 turns.If the saw runs,fine,but if not the original needles will be swapped back in.

Where do you sent your carbs to be rebuilt?

Ron

That particular one is roughly 0.032" or 1/32" (.82 mm +/-)

The phenolic disc is a little more that twice that thickness at 0.070"

View attachment 1032617

The thinner flange on the oil hose is roughly 0.050" thick.

View attachment 1032618

Either disc, by the way, is about 0.310" in diameter.

View attachment 1032620

Mark

IMG_20221123_175613.jpg
For now I'll have to get by with plastic from a bottle top until I find something better. It's quite thin, about 0.8mm.
The flange on my oil pickup line is about 1.4mm.
The margin of error on my cheap callipers is probably ±0.5mm. 😅

Thanks so Much. I ended up having a SDC 37A. I was looking in the IPL and it show's they made them with fixed jets and with and adjustable jet carb.

I finally got the 5-10 running,but only after more trouble.I put the SDC18 carb on & put fuel in it.It didn't really want to fire up.I can understand that the diaphragms were all dry from sitting for who knows how many yrs.Finally it started running & then it'd cut out.I suspected it was a bad coil wire & after I pulled the FW cover off my suspicions were well founded.The coil wire was run on the outside of the saw & had been pinched at one time by the FW cover,which I think severed the wires inside the insulation.I put a different coil on & it runs like a champ now.

I also had a small problem with it not wanting to idle,even with the idle screw turned in all the way (probably not the correct idle screw).I took a small piece of fuel line & worked it onto the idle screw & now it idles just fine.I gave up on trying to put the adjuster needle extensions back in the carb.Apparently the Mac tards thought everyone who worked on saws had more than 2 hands.As it is there are 2 linkages to deal with while lining up the carb's bolt holes & hope the carb mounting gasket stays on the bolts too.I was told yrs.ago not to use any kind of "glue" to hold those gaskets in place as it may get sucked into the carb & cause even more issues.

I was supposed to get the new B&C today,but now UPS is telling me I'll get it on Fri.I hope to post pics by Sat.

Latest posts

Back