McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As some of you know, my younger brother Ed passed away on 7 August and my older brother Ray has been battling cancer for the past year and a half or so. Last night Ray lost his battle.

From the Grantburg, WI GTG in 2010...

View attachment 1038580

Mark
Mark, I'm sorry for your loss. My condolences to you and the whole family.
Bob

Great info Mark as always! Took a snapshot so I can print and file it!! Thanks!
SM is Speed Mac which was their handle for semi-chisel cutters. SP is Super Pro for chisel, SPR for round ground and SPS for square ground but they only offered the square ground in a few select sizes.

View attachment 1035663

The drum is a 7 tooth .354 fixed rim type that in other places McCulloch called Speed Mac or Super Mac.

View attachment 1035666

Obviously your chain was 058 but it has been run with little oil and that has worn both the drive links and the bar groove.

Mark

So sorry for your loss Mark. I only have one brother and I shiver at the thought of loosing him.
As some of you know, my younger brother Ed passed away on 7 August and my older brother Ray has been battling cancer for the past year and a half or so. Last night Ray lost his battle.

View attachment 1038580

Mark

Ed, if you’ve got the frame, and can’t find a bonafid filter,don’t despair. I’ve devised a workaround for my flocked filters with missing flock. Go to a fabric store and buy some synthetic fabric that looks “flockish” and is suitably thick and dense (total judgement call on your part). Clean the old flocking off the frame (or not, your choice), cut a piece of the new fabric to fit, mount it to the frame with glue (I use hot glue). You’ll probly get some glue where you don’t want it. You can either start over or live with it. I live with it.
My filter, off an old olympyk saw, is uglier than a mud fence but works well. Just sayin. Good luck.
My buddy just retired from a print shop. They have big sheets of some kind of flocking. He gave me some. I think I have some. You could probably get several filters out of one of the sheets. Send me a PM with your address Ed, I'll send you a sheet. Jerry, if you want to try some, send me your address too, I'll stick some in the mail. If you think it's a good source for a filter, I'll get john to get me the info on it. It is actual filter material for the big presses.

My buddy just retired from a print shop. They have big sheets of some kind of flocking. He gave me some. I think I have some. You could probably get several filters out of one of the sheets. Send me a PM with your address Ed, I'll send you a sheet. Jerry, if you want to try some, send me your address too, I'll stick some in the mail. If you think it's a good source for a filter, I'll get john to get me the info on it. It is actual filter material for the big presses.
Here's a pic of what the stuff looks like as John gave it to me. I think I got it for one of my little Echos that had a felt like filter without a frame. It worked, but I found that Echo still had OEM ones and bought a bunch. This would work better with a frame. it was kind of floppy , not stiff like the OEM. This is a micro filter for keeping fine contaminates out of presses.
fL5dqYg.jpg

I don't know why I didn't think of this before,probably because we had an ample supply of rings for the 10-10 up until about a yr.or so ago.There's a guy (I think he's in N.M.) who custom makes rings (I know he's made them for Homelite saws).I'm sure if someone here like Mark or Max would contact the gentleman with the specs & a sizeable order,he'd make plenty of rings for our Mac saws.Contact me if interested & I'll pass along the info.
I picked up a Pioneer 700 a few years ago that needed rings. Looked like there wasn't a set left on Earth. You told me to try Bob. In five minutes he was holding his last set in hand. I think he charged me the price on the box, $7. The only source I had was a custom ring maker, I think he was in Ohio. I was told he was very good, and very expensive.

View attachment 1038580

Mark
Sorry to hear the news Mark. I lost my brother in 1976, he was 30 years old, I was 20. He was fresh out of the service and Vietnam. We were just getting to be good friends. He loved all of my hot rods, that he never got to build, because he enlisted. Cherish the years you got to spend together as adults. you and your family are in my prayers.

I bought a PM605 a few days ago ($35) & got it yesterday.It was missing the AF cover & AF,no problem as I had them here.Suppopsedly the saw ran,so late yesterday I tried starting it & it was a no go (the dumb ass shipped the saw with fuel in it).Today I pulled the plug (it was loose) & gave it a shot of fuel in the plug hole & it fired up.I pulled it over about 2 or 3 times with the choke on & it fired up again.It was racing at a fairly high idle,so I shut it down & checked the needle settings - they were spot on .I fired it up again & it was still at the high idle,so I tried adjusting the idle speed screw & got no results.I shut it down again & found the throttle was sticking,probably needs a shoty of lube in the trigger assembly.
Then there was the chain brake.I could see that the spring wasn't locked in place,so I must've fiddled with that for over an hr.I tried using a different spring from another style chain brake & still it wouldn't work.I came to the conclusion that either the latch on the top wasn't machined properly,or it was simply worn too much.I ended up putting a different chain brake on for now.I got the new 20 in.bar & chain in the mail today,so that went on the saw tyoo.I now have a complete & running PM605.

Attachments

• thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 0
  • thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 0
  • thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 0
Here is a little update on the 10 series project I've got going on.

I would like to thank Edju, and Heimannm for the help with the coil lead. I was able to replace it with a spare lead I had. And I will be looking at getting the suggested extractor bit.

I had already disassembled the saw most of the way, and here are some of the funny things I found.

Picture Time!

I know that it isn’t the worst one you all ever seen. I didn’t think it was this bad though.
At the thickest part, it was about an inch of build up.

Recoil.jpg

I think the recoil was the dirtiest part. The rest of the saw wasn't that bad.

10-10 2.jpg

Well that seal is done for…
I was not surprised it was the PTO side.

BlowOut.jpg

As far as I could tell, the saw had never been taken apart before me. That was both a good and bad thing.
However, it is missing a couple of minor parts, but I will worry about them later.
I'll continue to futz with the saw off and on for a bit.

Once again, thanks for the help everyone.

M

I would like to thank Edju, and Heimannm for the help with the coil lead. I was able to replace it with a spare lead I had. And I will be looking at getting the suggested extractor bit.

I had already disassembled the saw most of the way, and here are some of the funny things I found.

Picture Time!

I know that it isn’t the worst one you all ever seen. I didn’t think it was this bad though.

View attachment 1039566

View attachment 1039576

View attachment 1039577

As far as I could tell, the saw had never been taken apart before me. That was both a good and bad thing.
However, it is missing a couple of minor parts, but I will worry about them later.

M
Glad I could be of help.It's good to be able to give back once in a while.Lord knows how much help I've gotten here over the yrs.

As for that recoil being packed full of sludge,yeah I've had a few like that too.It makes a believer out of me as to how tough the Mac saws were to be able to take that kind of abuse & still be able to run.I'd like to see a modern day saw still running after being crudded up for 50-60 yrs.

Mark
So sorry Mark!!!! Prayers!

Picture Time!

View attachment 1039566

View attachment 1039576

View attachment 1039577

M
I thought I was the only one that got saws that dirty. I got a Super EZ once that the recoil was packed solid, and wouldn't recoil. Took all of the housing off and used 4 cans of break cleaner spraying it down. Had it spotless. Got it put back together far enough the recoil was back on. Got the bright idea to stick the plug back on and pull it over to see if it had spark, IT DID! One blue spark and POOF. In case you weren't aware, break clean burns. I was trying to smother it, but, too many spaces for air to hide. Lucky my wife wasn't home. I ran in the mud room and dunked it in the wash tub. That is one nice running little saw!

Back