McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 55 and 44 are the same engine saws. The difference being the big gear box on the side of it.

So looking for 55 or 44 parts will get you going. Be careful though as they are not identical but pretty darn close. Theres also a s55. Slightly different. Lots of parts will interchange. The rear handle is similiar to other big saws of the era also. Lots of research and picture looking and reading old threads will help a lot. The manuals are gonna be found in the beg for manuals thread. Great help there. And an answer within moments usually. Very quick responses. I have a 55 gear drive if you need pictures. Im not always the fastest response due to work but ill help when i can.

Parts are ebay and other saws and people here will help if they can.

Could be anything from a D-55 to a 1-80 (D-55S or D-55SA). There should be a model number and serial number stamped on the bottom of the crankcase. This one, for example, is a 44-A.

D-55 is 72 cc, D-55A is 80 cc, D-55 Super A is 87 cc, 1-80 is 87 cc.

McCulloch Super 44A sn.JPG

Probably easier to keep that one for parts and find one that is more complete for your project.

Mark

I've got a bit of a dilemma with the 5-10.In all my haste to get it running I neglected to look at the air filter until today.It's the domed filter used on the bullfrog carbs (I believe).The part # is 65740.Am I screwed here,or is there another part # that I'm not aware of?I know Mac loved changing their part #s.The flocking is at least 50% gone.

I've got a bit of a dilemma with the 5-10.In all my haste to get it running I neglected to look at the air filter until today.It's the domed filter used on the bullfrog carbs (I believe).The part # is 65740.Am I screwed here,or is there another part # that I'm not aware of?I know Mac loved changing their part #s.The flocking is at least 50% gone.
Ed, if you’ve got the frame, and can’t find a bonafid filter,don’t despair. I’ve devised a workaround for my flocked filters with missing flock. Go to a fabric store and buy some synthetic fabric that looks “flockish” and is suitably thick and dense (total judgement call on your part). Clean the old flocking off the frame (or not, your choice), cut a piece of the new fabric to fit, mount it to the frame with glue (I use hot glue). You’ll probly get some glue where you don’t want it. You can either start over or live with it. I live with it.
My filter, off an old olympyk saw, is uglier than a mud fence but works well. Just sayin. Good luck.

View attachment 1038518

I have an Allen key (socket-head?) bolt that was where #85 goes and I just tried a shoulder bolt from a 610 and it works for #84.
#86 is used as a "locking device" to keep the #84 & #85 bolts from backing out.I believe Mark H.has them & can most likely be sent in a regular envelope.

I don't know why I didn't think of this before,probably because we had an ample supply of rings for the 10-10 up until about a yr.or so ago.There's a guy (I think he's in N.M.) who custom makes rings (I know he's made them for Homelite saws).I'm sure if someone here like Mark or Max would contact the gentleman with the specs & a sizeable order,he'd make plenty of rings for our Mac saws.Contact me if interested & I'll pass along the info.

flatsfisher - there should be a duckbill valve to prevent fuel from coming out, but allowing atmospheric air pressure in to make up for the fuel as it is consumed.

View attachment 1038108

There are other insert styles, hopefully your cap has the brass one as they are the easiest to service.

Ed, regardless of what figures have been published, there were only two cylinder bores for the 600 Series saws, 1.837 and 1.813 and only one crankshaft/stroke. McCulloch was quite confused themselves.

View attachment 1038119

As far as I know, those specifications were never corrected anywhere...

When I was working for a living, I used to get very frustrated with our Engineers for turning out drawings and part lists with inaccuracies for the machines we sold. Now that I spend a lot of time looking at old McCulloch documentation, I think our guys did a fairly respectable job.

Mark
mine seems to be plastic. unless there's something inside the plastic. didn't want to break it.
PXL_20221207_170814270.jpgPXL_20221207_170823628.jpg

Latest posts

Back