McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know heimannm has a lot of McCulloch Chain Saws, as well as myself, I was wondering if anybody else has a few McCullochs in their collection of Chain Saws, and are they for work, or for display. Thanks for your input. Bruce.
I use a pro mac 10-10 all the time. It never fails to start and it cuts well with a 24" LPX chain.

Since I had my hand surgery last month I haven't been able to work on any saws.But.....my son went out cutting last week & hauled home 2 loads of ash.Sadly I couldn't go out cutting with him,but I can still run the splitter! I'm just being careful so as not to overdo things.I can also stack what I split.I put one log under the arm with the surgically repaired hand & pick up another log with my "good" hand.So far I've filled my basement with about 8 cord & split & stacked about 2 more cord outside.

Attachments

• thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    225.7 KB · Views: 0
If just the bottom is bad, you can switch the tank top and AF covers to keep it original (surprisingly they interchange just fine) or keep the PM style tank top and AF cover since you can get air filters more easily.

One of today's projects, found this one in the attic and gave it a good cleaning. Stripped it down to the short block, pressure test to be sure the seals and seam are good, put a new metering diaphragm in the carburetor, replaced the fuel filter and fuel lines and the oil line from the tank to the pump (they were all badly disintegrated). Good to go now, I'll have to decide it I'm going to add this one to the display or put it on the "For Sale" rack and make someone a nice little occasional use saw.

20230920_193735.jpg

20230920_193740.jpg

20230920_193744.jpg

20230920_193751.jpg

20230920_193755.jpg

Mark

I finally got the wood splitting finished today after having engine issues on the splitter..I bought a new engine for the splitter in 2014 & had to replace the carb last yr.The first 5 yrs.I ran ethanol fuel in it & I believe it ate up the seals in the carb.The problem I was having this yr.was after running for about 45 minutes when the engine called for the governor to kick in it'd have a slight stutter,or it'd die & wouldn't restart till it got cold.I pulled the plug & saw that the gap was around .050-.060.I closed the gap down to where it should be & it fired right up & there's no more stutter or hesitation..I told my son that he's gotta go out & get more wood for me to split,Lol.

20230921_203056.jpg20230921_203044.jpg20230921_203032.jpg
These 2 were sitting in a tote for awhile, not running, but complete.
I just wanted to "fix" something lately and working on 10 series is always good therapy.
The dome top had a non-existent HS check valve in the carb. The lefty had some gasket issues in the intake and fuel system.
I believe that the dome top received a chip also,due to a bad condenser.
Both engines are in very good shape and are stout to pull over .
The Super 2-10 is still being weird ,so that will require futher investigation.

I texted my buddy yesterday around 6:00 p.m.to see how things went with my 610 he borrowed.He texted back & said it didn't work.I was quite upset about it trying to figure out what went wrong.He brought the saw back over after we'd discussed the symptoms over the phone & I put a new Bosch HS8E in it & it fired up & idled nicely.It wouldn't idle previously,even though it ran flawlessly when he originally picked it up.As we sat there BSing,I looked at the plug that we took out of the saw & I found that I'd put a Bosch HS5E in it,a couple of heat ranges too cold.I felt like an idiot for doing something so foolish.He's a good natured guy & said it happens.I made sure he had a good runner so as extra insurance I gave him my 650 to use as well.
I was originally going to let him use one of my Timber Bears,but it wouldn't start.It was getting fuel,but the plug was wet.I ended up playing with the T.B.today & put a 2nd different plug in it & it fired right up.When I put the T.B.away it was running just fine.What are the chances of a plug going bad just sitting in a saw for a few months?I don't think I've ever had that happen.

I loaned a 700 to a friend once. It's was my go to firewood saw and always started , idled and ran perfectly. I always said it was like trying to hold a t rex on a leash and my friends agreed.

My buddy made a few cuts and it died dead as a door nail like he hit the kill switch .Wouldn't even try.
Brought it home and looked everything over and found nothing. Out of other ideas , I took the carb apart and again found nothing but when I put it back together it was back to its old self??????
Used it for two more years and it kept the title of most awesome saw in my herd.
The last time I took it to cut, I started it ( a whopping 2 pulls) and set it aside to warm up while I gassed the 850. It died dead flat sitting there idling and never did get even a small burp after many attempts. Haven't got a chance to solve that mystery yet but I need to soon. Cutting season is coming!

7-10 getting a repaint
Came out okay. I used Rustoleum Yellow Ginger thinking it would give me more of an orange look. Perhaps if I primed with a darker color it would have. Now the fun part is assembly. Still working on the starter assembly.

Attachments

• 751C12C9-0BFA-44EC-96D3-67C13705D3BE.jpeg
    751C12C9-0BFA-44EC-96D3-67C13705D3BE.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
I have a 10-10S on the bench. 140psi compression, has spark, will not pop. Filthy saw. It has had a hard life. I am going into it. Starting with coil and lamination gap. Any guesses? Lets make a game out of it so to speak. I will ship the FIRST correct diagnose a new style electronic 10 series coil. So let's play a game. Each person gets one question that I will answer as I go.

Issues so far:

Has spark will not pop.
Leaks fuel at gas line pass through tank.
Tank half seal leaks.
Though compression tested good, turns easy by hand.
after squirting fuel in plug hole can easily turn saw by hand via flywheel with plug in Decomp out.

Copy this in reply with questions and guesses.
Lets have fun and Good Luck!
The issue with the 10-10S was two fold....Both pictured below...
10-10S ring 2.jpg10-10S ring 1.jpgCarb gasket 2.jpgCarb gasket 1.jpg

Came out okay. I used Rustoleum Yellow Ginger thinking it would give me more of an orange look. Perhaps if I primed with a darker color it would have. Now the fun part is assembly. Still working on the starter assembly.
I like these Mcculloch’s!

Attachments

• 4D2B2F50-18D2-4522-9ED7-070237C86E4D.jpeg
    4D2B2F50-18D2-4522-9ED7-070237C86E4D.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
I loaned a 700 to a friend once. It's was my go to firewood saw and always started , idled and ran perfectly. I always said it was like trying to hold a t rex on a leash and my friends agreed.

My buddy made a few cuts and it died dead as a door nail like he hit the kill switch .Wouldn't even try.
Brought it home and looked everything over and found nothing. Out of other ideas , I took the carb apart and again found nothing but when I put it back together it was back to its old self??????
Used it for two more years and it kept the title of most awesome saw in my herd.
The last time I took it to cut, I started it ( a whopping 2 pulls) and set it aside to warm up while I gassed the 850. It died dead flat sitting there idling and never did get even a small burp after many attempts. Haven't got a chance to solve that mystery yet but I need to soon. Cutting season is coming!
Those symptoms sound to me like a wire grounding out. I found the wire going under the flywheel to the points crushed good in my Poulan, haven’t seen it in the Macs.

Back