McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I loaned a 700 to a friend once. It's was my go to firewood saw and always started , idled and ran perfectly. I always said it was like trying to hold a t rex on a leash and my friends agreed.

My buddy made a few cuts and it died dead as a door nail like he hit the kill switch .Wouldn't even try.
Brought it home and looked everything over and found nothing. Out of other ideas , I took the carb apart and again found nothing but when I put it back together it was back to its old self??????
Used it for two more years and it kept the title of most awesome saw in my herd.
The last time I took it to cut, I started it ( a whopping 2 pulls) and set it aside to warm up while I gassed the 850. It died dead flat sitting there idling and never did get even a small burp after many attempts. Haven't got a chance to solve that mystery yet but I need to soon. Cutting season is coming!
I have been changing spark plug lead (wire) on many of my Macs, and if I didn’t look close, I wouldn’t see the damage.

I was gonna say it was a stuck piston ring,but the compression was too high IMO.If the ring was broken in the cylinder I'm surprised it pulled over OK.
Yeap I even got it to run like that. But I knew something was seriously wrong. Lucky the ring fragments didn't get the cylinder.

I have been changing spark plug lead (wire) on many of my Macs, and if I didn’t look close, I wouldn’t see the damage.
Yessiree!!!! Found my right on the last cooling fin! That was the first place I looked. I'm leaning towards a kill switch issue.

I've also seen wires pinched in several different Homelite models,but the PM700 is an electronic ignition module saw.The only thing I can think of is the plug,ignition module,or the switch.The switch is most likely not the culprit as it's a slide switch - very little to go wrong there.Could also be the plug wire has worn through & shorted out.

Yeap I even got it to run like that. But I knew something was seriously wrong. Lucky the ring fragments didn't get the cylinder.
That really surprises me that it ran with a broken ring.I had a 5-10 that broke a ring as I was turning it over by hand to set the points gap.Again,a lucky thing that it didn't do cylinder damage.

Buna ziua
Am si eu o problema cu Mac CS50S (un model nu foarte reusit) - o problema de zi cu zi.
Volanul s-a rupt recent și nu găsesc de unde să cumpăr altul.
Știți unde sunt piese pentru CS50S?

Google translate from Romanian-

Hello
I also have a problem with the Mac CS50S (a not very successful model) - a daily problem.
The steering wheel recently broke and I can't find where to buy another one.
Do you know where the parts are for the CS50S?

mottofreee - If you haven't already, check the Husqvarna/McCulloch site: https://www.mcculloch.com/int/products/chainsaws/cs-50s/967300301/

There are very few of the Husqvarna McCulloch saws on this side of the Atlantic.

Mark

No build thread, but the SP81 @rupedoggy had listed lives again! The "locked up" part turned out to be a split recoil pulley, I fixed that and while stripping it down for an inspection and cleaning I noticed the flywheel was loose. Turns out half the taper on the crank was gone, a good used crank and a n.o.s. flywheel fixed that. I put in new seals while swapping the crank, gave it a carb kit and a fuel hose and now it's a runner! Currently it's wearing a 32" bar I got from Mike's brother and an 8-pin sprocket, which feels like a good combo on it.

IMG_4799.jpegIMG_4800.jpegIMG_4801.jpeg

I'm starting to feel a little better every day.I'm thinking about getting the 610 build out again to change the FW side crank seal.I haven't been able to much of any saw work for close to 6 weeks now.Kinda going crazy.
Give it a shot Ed. Do what you can and ask someone to help if your injury is getting in the way. Guide them with your knowledge. That would be my path until I could recover.

Give it a shot Ed. Do what you can and ask someone to help if your injury is getting in the way. Guide them with your knowledge. That would be my path until I could recover.
At this point I've been able to do the simplest things like put bars & chains on 300 series saws & change spark plugs on the 600 series saws.I did fire up a little Stihl 017 & cut some small limbs,but I'm not going any further than that.Replacing a crank seal & putting a helicoil in on a Homie SEZ recoil should be an easy enough job for me to handle.Thanks for the encouragement!

At this point I've been able to do the simplest things like put bars & chains on 300 series saws & change spark plugs on the 600 series saws.I did fire up a little Stihl 017 & cut some small limbs,but I'm not going any further than that.Replacing a crank seal & putting a helicoil in on a Homie SEZ recoil should be an easy enough job for me to handle.Thanks for the encouragement!
I can come get you, we can stare at my rack of saws for a different view. 🤣 🤣

I can come get you, we can stare at my rack of saws for a different view. 🤣 🤣
Thanks Jeff,but I'm kinda bummed right now.
I got ripped off again.I went to get my 610 build out to put a new crank seal in it & it's nowhere to be found.I had it in a box in my shed which was locked up.Also missing is my Super 2-10 & 3-10 & my E.B.2.0.This really pisses me off! The 610 is missing the FW,it's sitting on my outdoor work table.The 2-10 & 3-10 are both missing carbs.The E.B.2.0 was complete & ran great.Whoever stole those saws must be good at picking a lock.
Earlier this yr.they stole my DE80 carcass,along with 2 Homie 410s & a 450 carcass.

Back