McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is OT of the OP thread, but since you brought up checking rifling..... Have you tried measuring old fixed choke shotgun barrels to see what choke they are? There must be some data out there somewhere to compare it to.

Yes, it's not difficult but, you need certain measuring tools. Although, you certainly do not need an expensive bore gauge. PM me if you wish and I can explain further, as not to take up more of this thread.

They all look good!

How does that 5700 perform? I love the looks of them. Have you tried any of the prior models in that family to compare it (605/Eager Beaver/Timber Bear)?

I actually have yet to run the 5700. picked it up at a garage sale this spring and went through it. in pretty good shape so I have an ash tree to test it on with the 24" bar with skiptooth chain. It should pull decently.

That's a darn shame, it looked like it ran good in the video you have.

They switched that over to LP chain? :dizzy:

The saw was purchased new by my step-grandpa back in the 80's. Not sure if it had regular 3/8" on it stock... or if he switched it over to lo-pro.

When I sold it, it was pullin' a 24" Oregon Powermatch with WP 30RCS 3/8" chain.

Gary

When I sold it, it was pullin' a 24" Oregon Powermatch with WP 30RCS 3/8" chain.

Gary

If you don't mind me asking, what oil were you running in the thing when you sold it? :hmm3grin2orange:

I've heard about this GaryWay or GaryGoo stuff, and I feel like a total newb. :censored:

:laugh: 50:1 Stihl Ultra... and Stihl bar oil... :)

Gary

OK :laugh:

I didn't feel the need to start a thread about it, but wanted to know honestly what you've been using.

I think i'm going to pickup some of that real soon. Is this some of the fancy synthetic stuff that you can run 50:1 mix on 32:1 saws?

I do all the time... but the old fart that is growin' in me is wanting to start runnin' 40:1 or 32:1 in some of the older saws. Don't know why... :dizzy:

Even though I have always used 50:1 full synthetic in them... and have not had problems. Also have told countless others on here to do the same. So is that what you would call a paradigm shift? :laugh:

Gary

I do all the time... but the old fart that is growin' in me is wanting to start runnin' 40:1 or 32:1 in some of the older saws. Don't know why... :dizzy:

Even though I have always used 50:1 full synthetic in them... and have not had problems. Also have told countless others on here to do the same. So is that what you would call a paradigm shift? :laugh:

Gary

I think so. :(

I mixed my first batch of 32:1 this weekend when I started up the 82cc Mac for the first time. I had been making different mixes, 50:1 in the Husky and Stihl, 40:1 in the Macs, and now 32:1 in the one Mac. Shoot, after reading the back of the bottles, finding a bottle that shows a table of different ratios, running calculators, and figuring out different measurements for different sized containers, i've about had it. And it's time to invest in some premium oil for a change, not just the farm and fleet special. Especially after seeing the damage on this scored cylinder that is sitting next to me. The damage wasn't done by me, but it makes me more concerned about the cheap shtuff that i'm feeding the saws.

Maybe some stickier bar lube is in store too. I had the original bar and the Stihl chain on the Wild Thing smoking this afternoon, cutting up some real wet green ash! Fortunately the chain wasn't blue or burnt, nor was the wood that it was cutting. That poor saw really hands it to the bars and chains that get put on it. Really makes you realize the strain those bars and chains go through.

Oh, just about forgot. I'm sorry for not explaining.....

Yes, the Wild Thing is my go-to saw when i'm cleaning up small trees and brush. That's a lot of what i'm doing now. It cuts sufficiently well with Stihl 63PMC3 chain that I have on it now, even though it will bog in the larger stuff. The lightest saw for the job is generally what i'll go to, and this one I don't mind getting dirty and scratched in the brush. Until I fork over for a 346 some day, or this one quits, I don't mind using it. :)

I find that running a Wild Thing allows me to be able to cut without being politcally correct, sort of a camoflauge for my lack of cutting skills. It's that distracting! :laugh: Time to edit the sig! :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back