McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Believe it or not, what I used to clean some of that gas stained, tarry mess on one of my saws was....gasoline and a brush. Just be sure you're away from any source of ignition or cigarettes!

One of the easiest, and least expensive methods I've used to do this type of clean-up is spray-on oven cleaner.===

I use diesel instead of gas for this kind of thing - quite a bit less flamable. Plus it has some lube in it. It did wonders on the chain for this same saw - that turned out perfect. Diesel is great for almost everything. I even use it as cologne. Chicks dig it. But it won't touch this gasket material.

I've got oven cleaner in the garage that I was using to clean up my echo hedge trimmer during its rebuild a couple of months ago. I'll try it on the gasket after I separate the lower half of the tank from the rest of the saw.

My truck is neither. It is a 4cyl. auto. I also have a '04 Cavalier which gets me around when it's snowing, which is pretty often. I don't have insurance on the Vette right now because I don't drive it in winter. I heard they don't do too well in snow and ice. I had to make some concessions to the economic downturn so I sold my ZRX1100 bike last fall. That was something that was itching to run!

VETTE ???????? :( why you have to bring THAT up in the middle of winter ??
i cant even find it now,some place covered over under four feet of snow !!
but i have this video of it from this sunmmer to remember :)
( adjust volume)

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/IkVK-1sA2xA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Promac - Hey, I resemble that remark! However that "family sedan" in my case is a late 60's, large displacement "beer burner & ricer" eater! The old addage, "there's no replacement for displacement" comes to mind.
Lots of the younger "hot rodders" have never rebuilt a carburetor, let alone gapped a set of points, so they also have no clue what ignition timing relative to piston speed is all about and have therefore never truly earned their wings!
It's one of the great things about these old Macs: simplicity, durability, and displacement!
Don't get me wrong, electronics has worked wonders for us, but displacement rules when it comes to making torque, which is what gets the work done.
And, when you know the old stuff, and how it works, the new stuff is easy.

Oh btw, the "family sedan" is a '69 Galaxie XLGT - 429cid 4bbl, C6, 9"
Arrr, Arrr, Arrr!

I did forget to mention the good old ass hauling v8 sedans of yesteryear were exempt from the "family sedan" statement I made. I have rebuilt several carbs (mostly small engine) and have done just about all of the cooling system on my VW, also have installed a cold air intake and a throttle body spacer on the Suburban. I like any good engine, the 350 SBC, 429 BBF, 460 BBF, L24, RB26DETT, 2JZGTE; all of them are very good engines.

As for the new stuff being easy, don't kid yourself. Go take a look in the engine bay of a 2005 Ford Taurus, look for the spark plugs, and ask yourself how the hell you're gonnaget to the three on the cylinder bank facing the firewall.

I still prefer less electronic bs.

For example, my Volkwagen Cabriolet has mechanical fuel injection, poor drivability is a bad vacuum line. Fix: carb cleaner. Simple. Gets you home easily. Try that with some fancy ass new Lexus. Bet it wouldn't be happy driving around with a snipped wire anywhere, it'd give you a dtc and blinking lights for a wire to the damn tailight being shorted out, annoying. Snipped wires on my VW probably wouldn't matter, as it would most likely be one for some accessory like the wipers or lights.

As for parts, would you like to have a rear backup sensor fail on your 2007 Suburban? (it was a customer vehicle, my Burb is a 1997) Guess what, you're out 700 bucks for the sensor, not including labor if you have it diagnosed and repaired at the shop. I hate all of this new bs, what happened to the good easy to fix problems, like a simple carb adjustment and fuel filter.

I despise working on most of the newer cars and trucks, it's infuriating to try to get to something on most of them. Everything is packed into the engine bay tighter than sardines in a can. It's ridiculous and stupid.

Also, 98% of new cars sold today don't get much, if any fuel economy improvements over an older car. Horsepower is not that much different, depending on the car. Heck, the Taurus my dad drives is barely a hair quicker and faster than my 1984 Maxima. The gas milage is quite close, too; despite my car being an "inefficient" straight six, compared to the v6 in the Taurus.

Just my opinion, though most of it is facts.

Classics rule, anything from the 1980's and back, IMHO, is a classic, now some were/are much better than others, lol.

Last edited:
I prefer simplicity in vehicles and chainsaws. The older things are just so much easier to get tuned and repaired. Some of the newer cars, even 4 cylinder cars, have such a full engine compartment you can hardly get your hands in there to work on anything. Some are difficult to even change an oil filter. In my way of looking at it, things that need replaced often should be easy to get to.

I prefer simplicity in vehicles and chainsaws. The older things are just so much easier to get tuned and repaired. Some of the newer cars, even 4 cylinder cars, have such a full engine compartment you can hardly get your hands in there to work on anything. Some are difficult to even change an oil filter. In my way of looking at it, things that need replaced often should be easy to get to.

10-4, good buddy. :cheers: Most people have forgotten the K.I.S.S. phrase. (Keep It Simple, Stupid)

This is the level of auto technology that I am comfortable with.

JackPalomino005.jpg

That picture, unlike the rest of this car talk is McCulloch realted because of what's on the doors of that Ranchero.

I am going to have it repainted, yellow with a black hood.

I asked Annie where she wanted to go for a Valentine's lunch, so we made a run up to Grants Pass yesterday, had a great day just cruising around.

Now that is one unmistakeable truck. :) When you repaint it, are you going to put the various McCulloch logos, like the bird, and mountain on it? Just throwing an idea out there, McCulloch related, of course. :)

The Super's flatback has a sticking throttle shaft, so the other day, when I found one of the boxes of carbs, I dug these out.

shop001.jpg

Does anyone have a spec sheet on Flatbacks? Some are not numbered, I don't remember where some of them came from.

Mac 6000 ?
cant find info on that model,any ideas ?
can get two runners for $60 for both,are they worth it ?

Mac 6000 ?
cant find info on that model,any ideas ?
can get two runners for $60 for both,are they worth it ?

Sounds like a 610, as the 5700 is listed on Acres, and the pic shows a saw that looks almost identical to the 605, except for a few color differences. I assume the 6000 is simply a 610, as for the 5700, it's 57cc like the 605. So, therefore, my theory is that 60cc 610 is renamed 6000 towards the end of production.

Randy, Sweet Ranchero, My dad had a 72 and i had a 77
with a 460 in it. She ran very well.

The carbs, The one on the right with out a primer
looks like the small kart carb. Whats the number?

By chance would you happen to have any Tilly HL103 carb's.

Lee

I have at least two Kart carbs on hand, I think I may have sent one to Sugar Creek. The two at the bottom have chokes, on the right is from the Super, the other is from an older saw, don't know which. The center one, top row is going in the Super, it's nearly new.

shop004.jpg

Latest posts

Back