McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No. Although the guy who hit my wife and daughter this am had my blood boiling.

They're fine so he gets to eat without need of a straw, Jeep's not, but his Mustang looks way worse :msp_angry:.

I understand completely. The Explorer was tagged pretty hard by an uninsured 'homeless' broad while Jenn and the girls were in it a couple of months ago. That God they weren't hurt. I had feelings similar to yours.

What happened?

What happened?

From what I understand (I wasn't there, and got the upset-wife call at work afterwards...), Jenn was backing out of the parking spot when some vagrant (who was living in her much older Explorer) decided to gas it and scoot past my wife's car (like going through a train crossing before the train gets there). Said vagrant tagged the LR corner of Jenn's explorer pretty hard. Did a couple K in damage. Thank God all inside were fine. All Jenn could get from the vagrant was the plate # and the # from an expired license.

PM - if you use the Permatex grey on the crank case halves, you may want to go back, clean it all off and start over, only this time torque it down immediately. If you have any space between the crank case halves, the bearings will move in the bores and you saw will quickly become a piece of very sad scrap.

The instructions are fine for something like a rocker arm cover gasket, not so good for the precise fit required here.

Some will condemn you for using the ultra grey in this application but I have had good success with it in the same job, Permatex Indian Head works for me as well and others will condemn that too.

Mark

Ambull, you will discover that without the bar plates, any loose or jumped chain is much, much harder than the magnesium parts surrounding it. I have a number of saws with the insides chewed up from loose chains with no bar plates. On the 740 I bought, the chain cut a groove completely through the oil tank side.

Mark

Ambull, you will discover that without the bar plates, any loose or jumped chain is much, much harder than the magnesium parts surrounding it. I have a number of saws with the insides chewed up from loose chains with no bar plates. On the 740 I bought, the chain cut a groove completely through the oil tank side.

Mark

Yep. The same thing happened with Randy's 790 long ago. Somebody did what seems to be a successful jb-weld type repair on it (and now it has bar plates). We'll be swapping oil tanks out though...

PM - if you use the Permatex grey on the crank case halves, you may want to go back, clean it all off and start over, only this time torque it down immediately. If you have any space between the crank case halves, the bearings will move in the bores and you saw will quickly become a piece of very sad scrap.

The instructions are fine for something like a rocker arm cover gasket, not so good for the precise fit required here.

Some will condemn you for using the ultra grey in this application but I have had good success with it in the same job, Permatex Indian Head works for me as well and others will condemn that too.

Mark

I looked closely at the bearings and they are seated. The case halves are completely flush. There was some excess that oozed outside the case halves, I cleaned that up and did not see any signs of incomplete seating of the halves.

I will check again just to be sure. I'll post some pics so you guys can throw your opinions at me.

P.S. I've already got a bunch of parts installed now.

Hey Mac guys, I stopped at the local small engine shop on the way home to pick up some recoil rope and run into a guy working on a Mac 1-62 that he was planning on Ebaying after he had gets it running.

Thing is this is the cleanest old Mac I have seen in a long time and I mean it looks hardly ever used and still has what I would think is the original bar and chain on it.

It also has a Tillotson HL carb that he was putting diaphragms in.

I'm not interested in it but if any of you are PM me and I'll give you the guys email address. He said he could send pictures . He was going to compression test it and photo the P/C as well.

Hey Mac guys, I stopped at the local small engine shop on the way home to pick up some recoil rope and run into a guy working on a Mac 1-62 that he was planning on Ebaying after he had gets it running.

Thing is this is the cleanest old Mac I have seen in a long time and I mean it looks hardly ever used and still has what I would think is the original bar and chain on it.

It also has a Tillotson HL carb that he was putting diaphragms in.

I'm not interested in it but if any of you are PM me and I'll give you the guys email address. He said he could send pictures . He was going to compression test it and photo the P/C as well.

I bet he's looking to get a left AND right testicle for that saw. I would love to get it, but no money for me to dump on it. :(

I bet he's looking to get a left AND right testicle for that saw. I would love to get it, but no money for me to dump on it. :(

I think I'll stick to the smaller, more usable saws. I got burned on my last big Mac, a 1-42, full of corrosion and very hard to start. I'm gonna stick to the 70s and below. As I stated before, it is a great door stop!

The 1-62 is an 80 cc saw with the large, squarish fuel tank hanging over the front of the saw. In my opinion these are not a good looking as the 640, 1-80 Series or 800 Series but they are McCulloch gear drives.

The gear box is the same as used on all the other large gear drive saws such as the 55, 1-80, 800 as well as the 1-60 Series. Many of the 1-6X's had the 2:1 gear ratio, most of the bigger saws have a 3:1.

Standard features were the right hand starter, but there was a 1-63L, and any could be made into a left hand start by the addition of a flywheel with starter pawls and the starter off of a 1-40/50 or 200/300 type saw.

Like most McCulloch gear drive saws, they could be set up with the bar on the left of the gearbox, sort of centered in the frame, or to the right of the gear box for flush cutting.

175247d1299545559-mcculloch-1-60-series-jpg

Mark

The 1-60s are odd, makes one wonder.
Thanks to TeddyScout, I have a fuel tank for my 1-62, the removable head partner to my 1-63, that has the modern motor.

Guys I'm with ya, I thought it was a ugly old mac myself but it was a very good looking ugly old mac if you know what I mean? :msp_biggrin:

From the looks of it, it would be hard to find another in such good original condition.

How about a BP-1 for your collection? I just saw one for auction. Ron

I doubt if I'll buy anything until the middle of April when the big flea market opens around here, they have everything! I usually just make a day out of looking thru their saws and stuff.
I did look at a pic of a BP-1...I doubt if I'd want one, a little too different. I have enough trouble with the conventional looking saws!

Last edited:
Which one gets a spot? It's tough to make a choice, both run well and are complete. It was easier to sort through the 250s.

Man that's a pretty 1-40 Randy. I can see why you kept that 250 from the other culls. Of the two, I'd keep the 250. That plunger choke and front 'retrofit' oiler are just too damn goofy for me. Let me know if you need someone to send the culls to. There's a few fellers that I'd suggest...:cheers:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back